> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Degroot’s Music For Speeding
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2012, 03:51 PM
Instructor
Hi DeGroot!! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... ) biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 24 2012, 09:13 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Hey Gab!

Well, I've been playing guitar on and off for about 15 years. I took a long hiatus from playing for a couple years. I would play but I wouldn't really practice anything new. A couple months ago I decided to take a new approach. I started learning some riffs like AC/DC, Maiden, Scorpions etc. as rhythm playing has never been my strong suit. I'm interested in learning some more intricate rhythm playing and learning to develop soloing skill like Friedman, Yngwie, Zakk Wyld etc. and learning some new styles as well. It looked like you have a strong background in this area and can help my technique. From there I'd like to start writing some music of my own.

I have just started to record my own playing since I've been here (about a month). So my references are limited to the REC sessions I did here. My latest is from your Led Zep collab which I'll post here for a reference. I'm trying to improve on my recording sound as it sounds better live then it does recorded. Next time I'll include a video as well!!

I've also been working on Uli Jon Roth style solo by Ben. One of my major problem areas are in the really fast runs. I think I have the pick speed and left hand speed. The problem is syncing it up.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/led-zep-collab-gmc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2012, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! Thanks for your description. So.. our goals will be "Building Speed" & "Composition".

In your Led Zeppelin solo I can note what you mean about both hands synchronization. We must work on your alternate picking technique and maybe also in your Sweep Picking (do you use this technique?). We will use the Alternate Picking lessons from my Intensive Technique Course as a starting point to work on this. I want you to have a look on Lesson Number 3 and work and record a video after a week of practising the Lesson Number 4.

LESSON #3 – RIGHT HAND / ALTERNATE PICKING
LESSON #4 - RIGHT HAND II / ALTERNATE PICKING & HANDS SYNCHRONIZATION

These exercises are single string so you don't have to concentrate on crossing string that is the most difficult part of Alternate Picking technique. Work on this exercises slowly over metronome and only increase the tempo when you feel comfortable and decrease the tempo if you don't play with both hands perfectly synchronized.

Regarding your take for the collab, I think that the composition is really good, the licks are interesting but as you don't play it perfectly (mostly because of the AP problem), in the end it doesn't sound like a professional take. The second part of today's assignment is to select a collab to join and compose a solo at your level.. I mean, a solo that you can play perfect... as if Guthrie or Vai would be playing it. The idea is to get a professional take, and then with some hard work here, take your playing to a new level to be able to play your ideas perfectly.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 25 2012, 08:20 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Excellent! I will get practicing on those assignments. I do use sweep picking which is an area I would like to improve on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2012, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 25 2012, 04:20 AM) *
Excellent! I will get practicing on those assignments. I do use sweep picking which is an area I would like to improve on.

Great! Keep me updated! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 1 2012, 08:35 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Hi Gab! Here is my video for AP Lesson #4. The first 4 parts are at 160bpm and the last one is at 120bpm. I think I had a harder time syncing the video/audio then the lesson itself smile.gif

Regarding the collab: I'm going to participate in SInisa's new one. Since it is brand new I have just started working out some ideas!

I also did write a solo for the Racer X collab yesterday. I did not submit it as the collab is closed. The composition is not so great either but it does demonstrate some sweep picking. Anyway, i will post that here later so you can get an idea of my sweep picking technique.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Mar 1 2012, 08:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2012, 09:06 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job! smile.gif
The exercises sound good, every note sounds at the same level and your right hand movement is perfect. I note that you lose a bit of synch at 160 bpm but this will be fixed with some more practice.
I suggest you to develop those patterns horizontally and vertically in 3 notes per string shapes. You can play 4 repetitions at every position and work it for example in this shapes:

Horizontally:

Vertically:

We will add this lesson to this week's job. I would like to see your progress on this one so please record some videos of you playing it and after some days of practice we can go for the REC.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

What do you think?

Regarding collabs... that sounds great please post all the ideas here. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 1 2012, 09:46 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Perfect! Look forward to getting into these next lessons! Really cool sounding REC lesson

So, as far as the horizontal patterns go. For example: I will play on the first line F-G-A X4 then move to position G-A-B X4 etc...? just want to make sure I'm practicing it right smile.gif

Here is the solo I was talking about earlier. http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/racer-x-solo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2012, 06:48 PM
Instructor
yes! that's how the exercise should be!!

Let me say that this solo is fantastic! It's 100% Racer X style and your playing is perfect! Those sweep picking arpeggios sound excellent! Well done mate! You have to do something with this... at least a video for youtube! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 1 2012, 08:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 1 2012, 05:48 PM) *
yes! that's how the exercise should be!!

Let me say that this solo is fantastic! It's 100% Racer X style and your playing is perfect! Those sweep picking arpeggios sound excellent! Well done mate! You have to do something with this... at least a video for youtube! smile.gif

Thanks! i appreciate all your feedback. Ok, I'm encouraged to make it into a video. I must admit it took me around 1200 takes to get the the long arpeggio pattern right though. laugh.gif I like to improvise over this style of music.... I hope that another collab will come around in this sort of shred style. In the meantime I need to work hard on my AP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2012, 01:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 1 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Thanks! i appreciate all your feedback. Ok, I'm encouraged to make it into a video. I must admit it took me around 1200 takes to get the the long arpeggio pattern right though. laugh.gif I like to improvise over this style of music.... I hope that another collab will come around in this sort of shred style. In the meantime I need to work hard on my AP!

I'm still thinking on my next collab.. maybe I could go for some Shred.. what bands/guitarists do you think that it could be inspired?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 2 2012, 11:02 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
A shred collab would be awesome! smile.gif SO, I was searching around for neoclassical/shred style backings that sounds inspiring to play over.

I like this Jason Becker song. Something around 1:40 would be a cool bridge in between solos.

I don't know if an Yngwie collab has been done? Of course this is a classic.

Or maybe some Jeff Loomis (Nevermore). I like a lot of his diminished style solos. Though he plays a seven string.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Those are cool ideas mate! I have done a Malmsteen collab a long time ago.. I could start another one.. but the other videos (Becker and Bellas) also give me good ideas regarding progressions and rhythm. I'll work on something! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 2 2012, 06:59 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Cool man, I'm really looking forward to this! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 2 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Cool man, I'm really looking forward to this! biggrin.gif

This month I started a Slash Style (you are invited to join!) one but be sure that I'll do one the next month. wink.gif

Video Collab

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 3 2012, 09:05 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Can't go wrong with a Slash collab cool.gif

I think I will give this one a go!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 05:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Mar 3 2012, 05:05 AM) *
Can't go wrong with a Slash collab cool.gif

I think I will give this one a go!

Fantastic!! Let's work here on it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 3 2012, 08:36 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 3 2012, 04:05 PM) *
Fantastic!! Let's work here on it. smile.gif

Okay great, I've always liked Slash's style but I have never really played his style... I'm going to have to look at those licks. I'd like to capture his style in this one if possible. But before I move on to that I need to tie up another collab that I'm writing.

Here is a demo version of the ideas I have come up with. I guess I was in a ZZ Top kinda mood. The recording is a little rushed as I'm off to a kids Bday party soon... didn't want the ideas to slip out of my head. laugh.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/fanatic-band-2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor
There are some good ideas there. The first part (from 00:00 to 00:19) sounds good for me, you just have to make is sound smoother the passage from lick to lick. Then, I start to hear some problems, the first trill sound weird over the new tonality, I would choose other notes... analyse the chord notes and the notes that you are playing there and you'll find the reason. The following bending lick also sound weird for me...
then you have a cool bending at 00:30 and a last fast lick that needs some work but that is fantastic! So, practice a bit the cool parts and check the notes choices at the sections that I said and I will love the solo! smile.gif
Some of my comments are a bit subjective so you can just take what you find useful. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 4 2012, 06:07 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 3 2012, 08:58 PM) *
There are some good ideas there. The first part (from 00:00 to 00:19) sounds good for me, you just have to make is sound smoother the passage from lick to lick. Then, I start to hear some problems, the first trill sound weird over the new tonality, I would choose other notes... analyse the chord notes and the notes that you are playing there and you'll find the reason. The following bending lick also sound weird for me...
then you have a cool bending at 00:30 and a last fast lick that needs some work but that is fantastic! So, practice a bit the cool parts and check the notes choices at the sections that I said and I will love the solo! smile.gif
Some of my comments are a bit subjective so you can just take what you find useful. wink.gif

Thanks for the useful feedback! I wasn't to sure about the trill part myself... I think I'll rework a couple parts and practice further the ones that sound good.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:26 AM