2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Shred Guitars
JVM
Jan 26 2008, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Okay guys next guitar I get (which will be a while) is probably going to be something shreddy. My wishes are a mahogany body, two humbuckers (middle single coil is okay but neck and bridge hums), hard tail and decent price. Pluses are coil tapping and locking tuners (my parker has spoiled me). Also, no ridiculous neck inlays or paintjobs please huh.gif Suggest them anyway though, my idea of ridiculous is probably different than yours eh tongue.gif Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jac...itar?sku=512234 - Looks cool. The price is decent, but I'd probably change the EMGs. I like EMGs but they aren't my ideal pickups. Neck through is kinda nice. But no coil tapping or locking tuners.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Par...itar?sku=510664 - It's a parker! I know and love parkers. Locking tuners, coil tap, piezo, amazing parker neck. But, it costs a lot and isn't a hard tail.

Some other suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 27 2008, 12:36 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
man, you know I'm going to say go for the soloist, but then again, you da play a Parker. I'm kinda up on the fence. I would like to think the Shecters would have fast action. ESP LTD's are overpriced IMO because of the endorsers. You have to throw Ibanez in the mix with ther wizard II neck. I hear it's lightning fast!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I forgot to add that I'm also looking at a c1 classic and a c1 hellraiser from schecter, but I'm not crazy about the necks and they don't have locking tuners do they? I suppose I could always swap those though.

Make a suggestion for Ibanez that satisfies a reasonable amount of my requirements pleassse tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 27 2008, 01:58 AM
JVM, I would seriously recomend you try the Ibanez S2170FB. Has pretty much everything your looking for. A freind of mine has this guitar. He's a quite bit better than I am but I swear he makes this thin scream!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S2170FB...455-i1323391.gc

Edit: you can get it in black as well!

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 27 2008, 01:59 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 02:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the suggestion. However if it's not going to be a hard tail, I'd rather it not be a FR or Edge bridge, I prefer being able to easily change my strings and tunings blink.gif

How about this one? What can you guys say about it?

Also I'm looking at a musicman silhouette. I like it quite a lot, only downside is it's alder which is not my top choice and I don't particularly care for how it looks though thats secondary to how it sounds and feels wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 27 2008, 02:52 AM
Don't know anything about those two man. I'll ask my Ibanez maniac freinds though. I think it's going to be a play and feel thing for ya dude! Your probably kinda spoiled on those Parkers. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 27 2008, 02:56 AM
GMC:er
There's always the Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez, but that would be big bucks, most likely.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 27 2008, 03:16 AM
Schecters wont disapoint

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Jan 27 2008, 03:31 AM
[quote name='JVM' date='Jan 26 2008, 04:33 PM' post='127045']
Okay guys next guitar I get (which will be a while) is probably going to be something shreddy. My wishes are a mahogany body, two humbuckers (middle single coil is okay but neck and bridge hums), hard tail and decent price. Pluses are coil tapping and locking tuners (my parker has spoiled me). Also, no ridiculous neck inlays or paintjobs please huh.gif Suggest them anyway though, my idea of ridiculous is probably different than yours eh tongue.gif Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jac...itar?sku=512234 - Looks cool. The price is decent, but I'd probably change the EMGs. I like EMGs but they aren't my ideal pickups. Neck through is kinda nice. But no coil tapping or locking tuners.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Par...itar?sku=510664 - It's a parker! I know and love parkers. Locking tuners, coil tap, piezo, amazing parker neck. But, it costs a lot and isn't a hard tail.

Some other suggestions?
I would go with the parker or an Ibanez RG or S series

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 03:40 AM
Learning Roadie
So none of you like the jackson eh? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:07 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay I've done a little more research. I'm still going with:

The Ibanez RGA Prestige RGA121. It is a full fledged member of the prestige family made in Japan, the RGA line doesn't have a tremolo which is what makes it differ from the others. I really like this one, looks nice, has all my requirements and would just maybe need some new pickups and locking tuners. It's also priced quite nicely smile.gif

The Musicman Silhouette , made in the USA. Very nice but a bit expensive, made of alder, doesn't look quite as nice as the others, but otherwise has a nice pickup configuration (the only one that has an extra middle single coil), maple fretboard which I like and apparently is extremely comfortable.

The Jackson SLSMG Soloist, made in Japan. Meets my requirements, looks pretty awesome itself, decent price, neck through, ebony fretboard which I like, looks cool, etc etc etc.

And the Parker Nitefly, made in the US. The most versatile and fun one, but also the most expensive. I like the coil tapping, love the parker necks, locking tuners, and piezo. Has a trem which I'd rather not have but thats a minor consideration. Otherwise the bridge parkers use is extremely comfortable for resting your hand on (very smooth) so thats kinda nice.

The silhouette and parker are indeed quite expensive ohmy.gif So right now I'm kind of leaning toward the jackson and RGA, but they're not out of the race. I mean I still have a long time to consider them tongue.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 27 2008, 04:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jan 27 2008, 04:12 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 27 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Thanks for the suggestion. However if it's not going to be a hard tail, I'd rather it not be a FR or Edge bridge, I prefer being able to easily change my strings and tunings blink.gif

How about this one? What can you guys say about it?

Also I'm looking at a musicman silhouette. I like it quite a lot, only downside is it's alder which is not my top choice and I don't particularly care for how it looks though thats secondary to how it sounds and feels wink.gif

A schecter definitely wouldn't disappoint! IMO, I wouldn't let a Floyd Rose turn me off. Changing strings takes no longer on my Hellraiser than it does any of my other guitars. It will take some getting used to but I just set my Floyd up for down 1/2 step on the Schecter (didn't change the strings) and it took a total of about 10 minutes. It's just a matter of learning how to adjust the spring tension.

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jan 27 2008, 04:13 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 27 2008, 04:14 AM
The Jackson is a pretty good deal. Also look into some Deans they might suit your needs.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jan 26 2008, 03:12 PM) *
A schecter definitely wouldn't disappoint! IMO, I wouldn't let a Floyd Rose turn me off. Changing strings takes no longer on my Hellraiser than it does any of my other guitars. It will take some getting used to but I just set my Floyd up for down 1/2 step on the Schecter and it took a total of about 10 minutes. It's just a matter of learning how to adjust the spring tension.

I'll still consider them and try them out. I need to try most of these ones out anyway. If I find a schecter that I love I might buy it, but when I have tried them in the past the best hellraiser and C1 classic I've used were both very good, but not great for me. That and even though it's a fairly small consideration I'd rather have a guitar built in the US or Japan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:19 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 26 2008, 03:14 PM) *
The Jackson is a pretty good deal. Also look into some Deans they might suit your needs.

I can't find prices on a lot of dean guitars. Some of them look very nice though. The hardtails, soltero and cadillacs look quite nice. How much do they go for? US made ones that is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jan 27 2008, 04:22 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 27 2008, 04:15 AM) *
I'll still consider them and try them out. I need to try most of these ones out anyway. If I find a schecter that I love I might buy it, but when I have tried them in the past the best hellraiser and C1 classic I've used were both very good, but not great for me. That and even though it's a fairly small consideration I'd rather have a guitar built in the US or Japan.

It's definitely all about how it feels to you since you'll be the one playing it wink.gif. Where are the Schecters built blink.gif? I own one and don't even know where they're built!

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jan 27 2008, 04:25 AM

--------------------
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:24 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jan 26 2008, 03:22 PM) *
It's definitely all about how it feels to you since you'll be the one playing it wink.gif. Where are the Schecters built blink.gif? I won one and don't even know where they're built!

They're korean made.

[edit] And I know there are a lot of good korean made guitars but to be honest, I have never seen a single one of these us or japanese made guitars in a store. In other words they're very hard to try out blink.gif So the only ones I really can try out are the korean or japanese ones (haven't seen the jackson or RGA in a store that is, generally lower end japanese ones), because that seems to be all stores carry these days. I am testing them, but on average finding them to not be the quality I want.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 27 2008, 04:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 27 2008, 04:34 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jan 26 2008, 10:22 PM) *
It's definitely all about how it feels to you since you'll be the one playing it wink.gif. Where are the Schecters built blink.gif? I own one and don't even know where they're built!

you can read about schecter in the wiki smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Jan 27 2008, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jan 27 2008, 04:34 AM) *

Cool man! Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2008, 04:40 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jan 26 2008, 03:34 PM) *

Cool biggrin.gif It's nice to know they're set up in the US.

I wish there was an easier way to access the wiki. Should be up at the top of the screen next to forum, blog and all that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:17 AM