2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Young People And Instruments/music, how many young players around? less than past years?
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 11 2008, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Talking with some of my youngest students (8-17 years old), they told me that they're the only ones who play an instrument between their classmates.
When I was in the high-school I had a lot of friends to play with.
Luckily some of us are doing music or other arts as a living, right now.

So I was wondering what happens around the world. Are kids still interested to play an instrument like in the past?

During the 80's we had a lot of guitar players (with strange haircuts smile.gif ) also on mainstream bands, on MTV and so on. Guitar solos are slowly disappeared during the years, the nu-metal came...
Of course you can use YouTube and the Net to find everything.
But for my ears it's quite strange when someone discover a great guitar player using Guitar Hero blink.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 11 2008, 03:30 PM
GMC:er
It certainly isn't the case in the UK. Everybody plays an instrument it seems and most play guitar. Its silly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 11 2008, 03:35 PM
Back when I was in high school there were many guitar players and bands. Always someone playing the acoustic guitar at school.
Doesnt seem to be that many that REALLY loves music though. Many of my friends that started guitar in high school have quit long ago.

This post has been edited by Robin: Feb 11 2008, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 11 2008, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 11 2008, 03:30 PM) *
It certainly isn't the case in the UK. Everybody plays an instrument it seems and most play guitar. Its silly.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

+Quote Post
jammer91
Feb 11 2008, 03:49 PM
Right now almost no one wants to play bass. Finding a bassist is pretty hard and if you do, theyre probably in another band. I kinda like it with not many guitarists. Too much competition and people show off.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2008, 03:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
We had music classes in primary and in high school..But unfortunately kids don't get to play instruments (we play Flute in primary and nothing in secondary)..Its the one of subjects kids don't pay attention at all...I'm sure a lot of young people would play if they had the chance to tryout different instruments in primary school..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 11 2008, 03:57 PM
Singing Instructor
In my highschool every body playd some instrument....but considering i went to a music high school it is normal...smile.gif
but in our non music high schools there is at least 2-3 rock\metall bands...or at worst 1 band.....so I think that there is steel interes in playing an instrument...but that all depends from the family to..maybe kid wants to play but the parents wount lett them...bicouse they had other plans for them.....

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 11 2008, 07:20 PM
EVERYONE around here plays guitar, because, sadly all you have to do to impress someone these days is learn the few chords necessary to play some Fallout Boy or Greenday song (not bashing them). But it is incredibly hard to find someone who plays bass or drums. sad.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 11 2008, 07:23 PM
I have never known the amount of people to play guitar being so high. Everybody plays here like SLASH91 said. I think its a mix of modern stuff being very cool to youngsters and very easy to play and that people have been inspired to pick up the guitar by Guitar Hero.

Seriously round here too many play guitar. It is hard to get gigs because there are way too many bands around here.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Mark.
Feb 11 2008, 07:26 PM
Well Im still in high school, but nobody plays a instument seriously.. blink.gif
Some, like 1 of 30 plays a instrument a bit, mostly guitar they know a few chords but thats it dry.gif
This really sucks cause I cant find a band sad.gif blink.gif mad.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 11 2008, 07:28 PM
QUOTE (Mark. @ Feb 11 2008, 06:26 PM) *
Well Im still in high school, but nobody plays a instument seriously.. blink.gif
Some, like 1 of 30 plays a instrument a bit, mostly guitar they know a few chords but thats it dry.gif
This really sucks cause I cant find a band sad.gif blink.gif mad.gif

UK there is too much competition to get in a band lol smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 08:25 PM
Instructor
I think that music education in formal or basic schools, whatever is it called should be better. Kids should listen to modern music more, rock, blues and jazz as well as classical - not just classical. This way they have a choice, and they can get interested easily in music.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 11 2008, 09:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 11 2008, 03:49 PM) *
We had music classes in primary and in high school..But unfortunately kids don't get to play instruments (we play Flute in primary and nothing in secondary)..Its the one of subjects kids don't pay attention at all...I'm sure a lot of young people would play if they had the chance to tryout different instruments in primary school..

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 11 2008, 08:25 PM) *
I think that music education in formal or basic schools, whatever is it called should be better. Kids should listen to modern music more, rock, blues and jazz as well as classical - not just classical. This way they have a choice, and they can get interested easily in music.

This is the first problem. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 11 2008, 10:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Around here, everyone plays an instrument smile.gif .. half the people in my classes play guitar or drums, but there is only 1 or 2 singers/bassists in the whole school sad.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2008, 10:05 PM
Instructor
I see many kids here trying to play and practice
but they quit too easily...
Looks like they want some kind of instant progress and success,
caused my life and tempo of life we're living today,
every thing has to be done fast and without much work,
which is quite impossible,specially when it comes to instrument and music.

And media of course,TV runs different kind of music nowdays
but there are still kids browsing the net and listening to"real" playing,
at least that's one advantage of the net as Jerry said. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 11 2008, 10:05 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Feb 11 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Right now almost no one wants to play bass. Finding a bassist is pretty hard and if you do, theyre probably in another band.

+1 the last couple of bands I`ve been in the Bass players started off as the guitarists and dropped back onto Bass coz of the lack of them about, we`ve started looking for a new Bass player since the start of the year, so far ... none!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 11 2008, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 11 2008, 03:05 PM) *
I see many kids here trying to play and practice
but they quit too easily...
Looks like they want some kind of instant progress and success,
caused my life and tempo of life we're living today,
every thing has to be done fast and without much work,
which is quite impossible,specially when it comes to instrument and music.

And media of course,TV runs different kind of music nowdays
but there are still kids browsing the net and listening to"real" playing,
at least that's one advantage of the net as Jerry said. smile.gif

I think a possible cause of that could be today's technology

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 10:12 PM
Instructor
I think it is not that big problem man afterall. THere are a lot of classes adn schools where young people do play, but music is tough buisness, and it is not considered doing by most elders, because the money is too small. But if we had some good formal education that woudl surely change. More people woudl listen to music, more people woudl learn it, and more people woudl benefit.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 11 2008, 10:15 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Personally I think it's very hard to call. Again, personally I think it's quite easy for us to assume that a younger generation finds things easier and puts 'less' into whatever they do. I'm sure if we go back one, two, three or however many, generations it wouldn't be too hard to find similar discussions. What I can say, just based on observing my daughter and her friends, is that they all enjoy music - listening to and performing it. So to me what I - and other parents - need to do is encourage that. If she doesn't, well then it's more that I failed her then that she didn't put the effort in unsure.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 11 2008, 10:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 11 2008, 10:07 PM) *
I think a possible cause of that could be today's technology

One of the causes,probably,yeah...comes with "instant" thing sad.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:34 AM