Practicing Discussion, Let's see how you actually practice at GMC!
GMC Practicing
How deep do you actually learn a lesson?
I just take a look at the tab [ 2 ] ** [4.35%]
I only try to play the lesson [ 8 ] ** [17.39%]
Try to play it close to the original sounding video [ 15 ] ** [32.61%]
I practice it until i can play it as instructor does [ 21 ] ** [45.65%]
What are your favorite lessons?
Metal Solos [ 18 ] ** [39.13%]
Blues Licks/Solos [ 12 ] ** [26.09%]
Rock Rythm and Solo Lessons [ 13 ] ** [28.26%]
Acoustic/Clean Lessons [ 3 ] ** [6.52%]
What's your favorite technique?
Alternate Picking [ 30 ] ** [65.22%]
Sweep Picking [ 5 ] ** [10.87%]
Tapping [ 2 ] ** [4.35%]
Legato [ 9 ] ** [19.57%]
Total Votes: 46
Guests cannot vote 
Pavel
Apr 19 2007, 10:03 PM
Instructor
So as we have lot's of students on GMC and i check lessons every day i noticed one very interesting thing:
as soon as a new lesson pops up there are like 50 students on it - but the next day they all dissappear and there are 5 students on each lesson at GMC.

This drove me to one little question: how good do you actually learn each lesson provided at GMC?
Lot's of people say there is no explanation for certain technique but actually almost all important stuff is already covered with at least basic lessons. The only thing you have to do is LEARN the lesson. Not only look at it but LEARN it.

GMC is created for YOU to LEARN to play the guitar - not for instructors to show you their playing skills. So your progress depends on how serious you take the lessons.

So - i decided to create a poll and i hope you will be honest with yourself and make a vote that actually corresponds to your "homework" practicing.

Don't take this as the offend - but this i a friendly forum and we are all here to help each other. This post is here to help you realize your goals and help you improve your playing.

You can improve quality of GMC and your own playing by voting as it actually is!
Vote honestly and take care! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Apr 19 2007, 11:43 PM
GMC:er
I try to play just as the instructor does, but I just joined last week, and since most of the lessons are played really fast, I haven't actually completed anything yet, but I've made a practice shedulde with the lessons I want to learn, and now I'm gonna practice them everyday, step by step untill I manage to play them. So I hope my answer is that I play as the instructor does, but since I haven't actually made it there yet, I can't tell. tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 20 2007, 04:15 PM
Instructor
OK - votes are coming! Thanks to all GMC-ers! Let's hope more votes will be here soon!

QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Apr 20 2007, 12:43 AM) *
I try to play just as the instructor does, but I just joined last week, and since most of the lessons are played really fast, I haven't actually completed anything yet, but I've made a practice shedulde with the lessons I want to learn, and now I'm gonna practice them everyday, step by step untill I manage to play them. So I hope my answer is that I play as the instructor does, but since I haven't actually made it there yet, I can't tell. tongue.gif

Cool man - that's how everyone should do! Good job!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Despa
Apr 20 2007, 06:13 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Apr 20 2007, 12:43 AM) *

almost the same is for me. I also joined a couple of weeks ago and I'm still a beginner so I pick licks out of a solo that look like I can learn them and I skip those I can't play (because there's a technique that I can't handle...). I then play it as good as I can which still is often under backing track speed. finally I practice the techniques I can't handle separately with the technique exercises!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 20 2007, 07:54 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 19 2007, 09:03 PM) *
So as we have lot's of students on GMC and i check lessons every day i noticed one very interesting thing:
as soon as a new lesson pops up there are like 50 students on it - but the next day they all dissappear and there are 5 students on each lesson at GMC.

The reason for this probably varies from person to person. I can tell you why I fall into that category....

I like to look at all of the new lessons when they come out but I'm not to the point where I can actually play them. I think of ot as motivation. biggrin.gif

When I'm working on the GMC lessons, I'm working on the Beginner Scales and Guitar Exercises. And that beginning exercise of yours in the Alternate Picking lesson.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 20 2007, 08:29 PM
Regarding the numbers in the "what's your favorite technique" section.....I LOVE sweeping, tapping, and legato....and the lessons for them on GMC are outstanding. The reason I'm in the alt picking section, with the majority of the others who responded, is that I feel like I should "earn" those other techniques...meaning that I don't really feel like I should be messing with the really flashy stuff until I can alt pick with speed, accuracy and complete confidence. Anyone agree, or at least know what I'm talking about? huh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 20 2007, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Apr 19 2007, 01:03 PM) *

This drove me to one little question: how good do you actually learn each lesson provided at GMC?
Lot's of people say there is no explanation for certain technique but actually almost all important stuff is already covered with at least basic lessons. The only thing you have to do is LEARN the lesson. Not only look at it but LEARN it.

GMC is created for YOU to LEARN to play the guitar - not for instructors to show you their playing skills. So your progress depends on how serious you take the lessons.

So - i decided to create a poll and i hope you will be honest with yourself and make a vote that actually corresponds to your "homework" practicing.

Don't take this as the offend - but this i a friendly forum and we are all here to help each other. This post is here to help you realize your goals and help you improve your playing.

You can improve quality of GMC and your own playing by voting as it actually is!
Vote honestly and take care! smile.gif

Well Pavel I understand your question completly ! When a new lesson comes on I go to it just to watch the video and see if im interested in doing it or not and to check out various licks, runs, etc.. But sometimes when you go back or something it still says your practicing the lesson , even though you very well could be doing something different. Hope that answers your question ? ( that at least aplies to me ?)

In Regards to Wheeler- I Agree with you ! I want to master alt. picking before I tackle more challenging things such as sweeping. But I do have the basic concept of tapping. ( With the help of Kris ! Thank you master biggrin.gif tongue.gif ).

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Apr 20 2007, 08:53 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 20 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to get to the same playing as the instructor.
And I'm one of the only two that chose tapping as their favourite technique biggrin.gif I chose it because I got about 7 years background in piano, and therefor tapping comes more naturally to me than other techniques.

How do I put my name on the "users practicing this lesson"?

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 20 2007, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Apr 20 2007, 09:04 PM) *
How do I put my name on the "users practicing this lesson"?

I asked this one early on when I got here. It's handled automatically by the site...when you log in to view one of the subscriber videos for the lesson.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
GuitarDude
Apr 20 2007, 10:35 PM
I LOVE sweeping!! to bad I cant sweep =(

This post has been edited by GuitarDude: Apr 20 2007, 10:36 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 20 2007, 10:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarDude @ Apr 20 2007, 11:35 PM) *
I LOVE sweeping!! to bad I cant sweep =(

Well - you just have to start practicing! smile.gif I am sure you can do it with some practice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 20 2007, 11:20 PM
yea i practiced sweeping of rlike 2 days...straight non stop..and now i can do it accuratly but still not up to speed..but i bet in a few months..or something..im sure to have it..biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 21 2007, 06:33 AM
I pick pieces of each lesson that I think I want to learn and incorporate them into my practice. The last blues/metal lesson was the first one I actually played from beginning to end.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 23 2007, 02:01 AM
Lets go fishing!
I stick with a Lesson untill its just as the intructor plays it. Its VERY tempting to swap lessons when a new one comes out. But for example, ive been doing Grabiels first alt picking lesson since the day it came out, and I have not yet moved onto another one (despite wanting to start pavels alt picking lessons also). I hope I am doing the right thing by perfecting this before i move on to the next!! That said, I am also do Pavels Sweep basics, and 3 string pattern exercise daily too cool.gif but I consider this a good addition to my daily practice regime.

I am takeing GMC lessons VERY seriously, I may only have an hour week days (and more on the weekends), but i make sure im strict with myself.

QUOTE (wheeler @ Apr 20 2007, 08:29 PM) *
Regarding the numbers in the "what's your favorite technique" section.....I LOVE sweeping, tapping, and legato....and the lessons for them on GMC are outstanding. The reason I'm in the alt picking section, with the majority of the others who responded, is that I feel like I should "earn" those other techniques...meaning that I don't really feel like I should be messing with the really flashy stuff until I can alt pick with speed, accuracy and complete confidence. Anyone agree, or at least know what I'm talking about? huh.gif laugh.gif

I know where you comeing from. But after a few months of Alt picking, I realised what the hey, I can incorparate sweeping into my daily regime too smile.gif Im keen to start tapping as well, but my study time is already so full! laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 25 2007, 06:51 PM
Instructor
Ok - consulting the results we can say most of GMC-ers are rockers/bluesers and metalheads. Most popular technique is definitely Alternate picking so we can get more or Alt.Picking lessons going.

And i am glad to see most votes go to "play as the instructor does" choice!

Nice job guys - thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 25 2007, 07:25 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well Legato is definetly my favorite technique! (i include tapping in legato as well), and a close second is sweeping, and First i try to play the lesson like the instructor does, but after i learned it, i add my own twist to it, for example, on your most recent lesson pavel, after i learned the tune, i switched some stuff around like this,

|---------------5-7-9-7-5-------------
|------------7---------------9-7-5-7-- (Or something similar to this shape i belive)
|----------6----------------------------
|--------7------------------------------
|-5-7-9--------------------------------
|----------------------------------------

I just added some notes to the beginning, and sometimes i switch the sequence around, i also switched the order of the arpeggios for fun.

Well thats i usually do, and it usually leads to me figuring out some other cool riffs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:38 PM