Making Noise With New Toys
NightFlight
Oct 3 2007, 01:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone,

As much as I would like to have Nuendo or Cubase, it's simply out of my financial reach at the moment. So, I settled for Sonar Home Studio 6 XL -- and so far I'm not disappointed. There's definitely a learning curve with sequencing/recording software, but it's well worth the effort.

Another thing or two I added to my "studio" was a Korg USB 61-key midi controller, and the Korg Legacy Collection which has two software synths: The M1 and the Wavestation. They both work as VST plug-ins and/or standalone software synths. There is also the MDE-X multi-effect plug-in to add a few tweaks here and there.

Attached is my first ever multi-track recording. It's composed of 5 tracks using the M1 (bass), Wavestation (rhythm/synth), Cakewalk TTS-1 (synth voices), Session Drummer, and of course, my guitar running through a Boss GT-6 straight into the sound card. It's a rather simplistic instrumental piece, slow groove, melodic rock.

Please give it a listen. All comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Attached File  mixdown_ditf.mp3 ( 2.69MB ) Number of downloads: 614

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all it's students."

My Toys
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series
Boss GT-6 Processor
...and other stuff. :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
Oct 6 2007, 03:43 AM
It sounds like you put a lot of feeling into the song. It's expressive and not overdone. I like that. The sound quality is good too. I got a copy of Sonar LE when I bought a Edirol USB interface but I found it to be a little confusing so I switched to Reaper. Maybe you are having better luck with it than I had. The synths sound pretty good to me also. That's an important piece of the song, getting a good blend. I like it! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 6 2007, 03:57 AM
Instructor
Sounds cool,great first track.
Haven't worked in Sonar before but I guess you earned a lot from it,well done. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 6 2007, 04:13 AM
QUOTE (NightFlight @ Oct 3 2007, 08:48 AM) *
Hey everyone,

As much as I would like to have Nuendo or Cubase, it's simply out of my financial reach at the moment. So, I settled for Sonar Home Studio 6 XL -- and so far I'm not disappointed. There's definitely a learning curve with sequencing/recording software, but it's well worth the effort.

Another thing or two I added to my "studio" was a Korg USB 61-key midi controller, and the Korg Legacy Collection which has two software synths: The M1 and the Wavestation. They both work as VST plug-ins and/or standalone software synths. There is also the MDE-X multi-effect plug-in to add a few tweaks here and there.

Attached is my first ever multi-track recording. It's composed of 5 tracks using the M1 (bass), Wavestation (rhythm/synth), Cakewalk TTS-1 (synth voices), Session Drummer, and of course, my guitar running through a Boss GT-6 straight into the sound card. It's a rather simplistic instrumental piece, slow groove, melodic rock.

Please give it a listen. All comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.
Attached File  mixdown_ditf.mp3 ( 2.69MB ) Number of downloads: 614

Well. it left me feeling well, you know, wanting more, lol! I thought it was pretty good, especially the little ending that kind of sounds out of synch with the rest of the song, but when you repeated it a couple of more times in the song, I saw what you were doing. I thought it was really good. Was thing your first effort?

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Amarok
Oct 6 2007, 04:49 AM
Dude that sounds awesome, very spherical feelin. Keep it up man! smile.gif

--------------------
She’s a ‘59 Stratocaster, and she, I’ve always called her my first wife. She don’t talk back to me…she talks for me. You know? She don’t scream at me….she screams for me.
Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
NightFlight
Oct 7 2007, 07:59 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Oct 6 2007, 04:13 AM) *
I thought it was really good. Was thing your first effort?

Yes, this was my first effort. Never multi-tracked anything before or recorded myself playing for that matter, so recording/sequencing is all new to me.

Thank you to everyone that gave it a listen and took a moment to reply.

--------------------
"Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all it's students."

My Toys
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series
Boss GT-6 Processor
...and other stuff. :-)

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Dec 1 2007, 10:08 AM
Sounds good, obviously isnt going to be perfect since we aren't professional mixers yet! Nice playing

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 1 2007, 01:02 PM
Sounds awesome dude!
I might personally have gone for a slightly cleaner guitar sound though for this kind of style, like the David Gilmour kinda lead sound.
Also theres some slightly dissonant harmonies between the chord scheme and your note choice at times, this certainly isn't a bad thing, dissonance is great, just an observation really!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 13 2007, 09:35 PM
Instructor
I hope that my first recording would have sounded this good! Great work Nightflight! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:39 PM