Yike, It Me Again...
leedbreak
Nov 10 2007, 12:26 PM
GMC:er
Ok, on your oriental lesson you obviously lock your wrist and use your arm for the lightening fast rips, cause I can see it. On the 1st alternate lesson I can not really see if you do or not, because only your hand is visible.

This brings up my questions. On the alternate lesson I can go up to 100Bpm picking the way I learned it, 99% wrist. And I am not talking about the triplets. (They obviously need more arm) The whole lesson is starting to feel as though I must use more arm or just not get there.

There appears to be absolutely no way I will ever pick it faster without using more arm? Yes that was a question. Please give your number one student fan some insight on wrist and arm movement in the alternate lesson and in general.

I finally figured out why I keep thinking I can jump up in speed thus skipping a few bpm. This is because I switch to more arm in the fast attempts making the movements feel as though they are easier. I am sure each player ends up in his own way and I am still looking for mine. Pavel uses very little arm, but that is his style as well. As I said I must still be looking for mine dry.gif

Should I start slow again and work my way up with a little more arm? Or, do you think if I give my wrist time it will eventually be able to play it fast?
When I try to play the 3 sting parts (Measure 9-14) at say 120 it appears the only reason I can not is because I haven't been practicing with a little more arm. Thanks for your in depth answer. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Muris Varajic
Nov 10 2007, 12:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Jason. smile.gif

I usually play everything from the wrist but as you can see,
you CANNOT move your wrist without moving your arm,at least just a little bit.
But that's NOT playing from elbow if that's what you're asking. smile.gif
I'd suggest you using wrist cause you're already using it and switching to something else
at this point might cause you lots of troubles,imho.
And don't worry that much about speed and all those tempos,
just practice hard and result must be there.
And also pay attention to warp-up!!
Sometimes I can't play many things when I just grab guitar,
but after few minutes it comes fine after all.
Of course that's just my case cause I've already practiced many years and many hours
so I need less time for warm-up.
But it is important,yes. smile.gif
My first alternate lesson IS really nasty one and you're doing fine job on it
but don't let it be your only guide,try some easier stuff as well.
That one REALLY hard,and I mean it.
I'm not sure how long you've been playing but I can tell you that
many pro players can't play it nice and clean,trust me on this one! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 10 2007, 01:05 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 10 2007, 05:40 AM) *
Hi Jason. smile.gif

I usually play everything from the wrist but as you can see,
you CANNOT move your wrist without moving your arm,at least just a little bit.
But that's NOT playing from elbow if that's what you're asking. smile.gif
I'd suggest you using wrist cause you're already using it and switching to something else
at this point might cause you lots of troubles,imho.
And don't worry that much about speed and all those tempos,
just practice hard and result must be there.
And also pay attention to warp-up!!
Sometimes I can't play many things when I just grab guitar,
but after few minutes it comes fine after all.
Of course that's just my case cause I've already practiced many years and many hours
so I need less time for warm-up.
But it is important,yes. smile.gif
My first alternate lesson IS really nasty one and you're doing fine job on it
but don't let it be your only guide,try some easier stuff as well.
That one REALLY hard,and I mean it.
I'm not sure how long you've been playing but I can tell you that
many pro players can't play it nice and clean,trust me on this one! smile.gif

Wow, thanks for your time in answering me. I have been playing for 20 years but never did reach what you might call PRO. I never had any teaching other than tabs and someone saying hey play this. It could bring tears to my eyes that I never found something like this site back then or had someone tell me to go get lessons or waste the next 20 years cause I feel that's what I did as far as guitar is concerned.
Yes warm up or play nothing right, it takes me about 20 minutes to get where I can play well. And in a couple hours I can do quite well
I do not feel this lesson is at all too hard but over 100 maybe, it is the challenge to do it faster that makes me keep trying. And it is getting better I have seen much improvement with the last 8 hours of practice that started yesterday. And it is the weekend again. biggrin.gif
Yes, this lesson is a very nasty one, but that is why I love it so much, no other group of notes has ever challenged me as it has and has not even feeling old yet, I could play it all night. Oh ohmy.gif , I guess I do play it all night.
Thanks Muris, you are a huge inspiration to me. I appreciate that a lot.

Jason

PS you can call this lesson nasty if you want be but it is no where as nasty as the oriental one is.....Gees that one will be much worse. I do have to stamina one down really well, it is part of my warm up and down every session. I owe a lot of my current speed to it. I guess I have about 8 GMC lessons down really well. But again this AP one is what drives me to even practice those a lot. Thanks again

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Nov 10 2007, 01:14 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 10 2007, 08:05 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hi Jason & Muris

I hope you dont mind me bumping into your thread, I just wanted to add something if I may.

imo I would drop the AP lesson for a while and just play it as part of your exercise routine so you dont forget it, but not all night 8 hours straight etc, it becomes very frustrating, annoying and dis heartening when you cant play something the way you want to and for me thats a recipe for disaster, your questioning your picking technique, changing that now could set you back even further causing more frustration, playing it over and over and over again for hours , days and weeks can almost become a bit of a mental barrier for me if that makes sense?

I get almost angry with myself sometimes and then I`m too tense to play anything properly

If this happens to me, which it has a little on Muris`s Paul Gilbert lesson then I play it every day but actually concentrate on something else, its amazing how all of a sudden it just comes to you, the frustration has gone and you can focus better.

Apologies for sticking my nose in smile.gif

just a thought to try and help smile.gif good luck m8, you`ll get there smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 10 2007, 08:27 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 10 2007, 09:06 PM
Instructor
Thanks to both of you guys!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 10 2007, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 10 2007, 01:05 PM) *
Hi Jason & Muris

I hope you dont mind me bumping into your thread, I just wanted to add something if I may.

imo I would drop the AP lesson for a while and just play it as part of your exercise routine so you dont forget it, but not all night 8 hours straight etc, it becomes very frustrating, annoying and dis heartening when you cant play something the way you want to and for me thats a recipe for disaster, your questioning your picking technique, changing that now could set you back even further causing more frustration, playing it over and over and over again for hours , days and weeks can almost become a bit of a mental barrier for me if that makes sense?

I get almost angry with myself sometimes and then I`m too tense to play anything properly

If this happens to me, which it has a little on Muris`s Paul Gilbert lesson then I play it every day but actually concentrate on something else, its amazing how all of a sudden it just comes to you, the frustration has gone and you can focus better.

Apologies for sticking my nose in smile.gif

just a thought to try and help smile.gif good luck m8, you`ll get there smile.gif

With a name like smells I would expect you to stick your nose in. laugh.gif

Now, When I said I play it all night long, I was kind of a joke. I do play it many time every session but it is still only part of my routine. I do many things each session, including speed picking, sweeping, riffs and writting. I just make sure I hit it several times as it is just fun to play, and such an exciting challenge

I also want to thank you for the kind words you said in the PM and in your video thread. It really helps to know that everyone struggles in kinda the same ways and as a team maybe we can help each other though it all, thanks again.

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Nov 10 2007, 10:47 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 10 2007, 10:44 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Nov 10 2007, 09:40 PM) *
With a name like smells I would expect you to stick your nose in. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 10 2007, 11:20 PM
Instructor
Yeah,blame the nick laugh.gif

Anyhow,I want to say that you guys are doing awesome job and putting great efforts into
mine and other instructors lessons which makes me really proud,thank you! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:36 AM