Building A Studio From Scratch... For A 15 Year Old.
Jesse
Jul 12 2008, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Hello, I've got something that I really want to do... and that is building a studio, thats yet proffesional yet not going into millions. (sidenote, Angus the ac/dc guitarist, has a house nearby me with a basement with a few millions worth of studio). I know that it will take alot of money but I'm still interested. I was wondering what I actually would need to do something like this. Ok ok, I am broke... just bought a guitar case plus spend my last 100 dollars on chippin in on my birthday stratocaster. Still want to know what it takes, and maybe even build one myself, since I'm really interested in the technical parts. Thank you, Plus, why does almost any studio picture I see have those ... little midi keyboards? That's been buggin' me for years!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Jul 12 2008, 06:00 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 12 2008, 06:04 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I would suggest you follow Andrews Blog to see what all goes into it. It can get quite expensive.

Andrews Studio Build

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 12 2008, 08:06 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah Andrew is the man when it comes to home studio building smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 12 2008, 08:06 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2008, 01:31 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, check out my blog for some of the stuff you need to think about - getting the basics right doesn't have to cost a fortune, but put some thought intop basic acoustic treatment, then you will have a studio you canbuild upon as money becomes available for more gear smile.gif

You need a Midi keyboard for inputing certain types of data. If for instance, you want a bass part - you would often sequence it using a plugin to play the notes. You could put in each note in the sequence qith a mouse, but its a lot quicker to play it in on they keyboard and adjust the mistakes when it is in your DAW.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 13 2008, 03:27 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
In addition to Andrew's wonderful blog and just my two pennies worth:

Get a part time - probably unpaid - job in a local recording studio and/or sound reinforcement/PA Hire company. Hands-on learning here is great.

Read 'Sound On Sound'.

Plan your hardware/software upgrade path. If you keep changing platforms and/or don't specify well you will waste an awful lot of money and have a lot of issues and headaches. At a v early stage, for instance, you may (assuming you go for a software based sequencer) need to decide on and stay with a particular brand of sequencer and that may also have a significant affect on much of your other hardware.

I have to say though that there is a world of difference between putting together a good home studio and aiming for one that is 'professional'. Pro quality costs A LOT and is probably out of the reach of most home studios. A pro-end single channel Neve mic pre-amp costs over 1500UK Sterling. A Prism AD/DA is 2500UK. A Neumann UI87 mic is about 1800UKS. A cheap - for Neve- 32 channel Neve desk is 45000UKS and a 128 channel SSL over 100,000UKS. High end kit tend to have a house sound - a Neve is very different to an SSL. Think about the type of music you like, want to record and want to produce - look at the producers associated with it and the consoles etc that they prefer.

Regardless of this gulf - plan and aim to buy the best that you can within reason- including cables and wiring (a cheap mic cable can easily ruin the effect of an expensive mic and pre-amp) - within a planned upgrade path. Some home studios tend to focus too much on bells and whistles and forget fundamentals. Planned upgrade should focus on getting the signal path as clean, clear and as good as you can and also offer tight integration between all the hardware/software coupled with a distinctive 'musical' sound that you like.

For 'clean' as a minimum you need good preamps and cabling coupled with good AD/DA conversion and jitter correction. Integration - carefully consider what sequencer you want to use and specify the console etc appropriately. Since money is an issue for most of us be realistic as to your planning - a Neumann mic maybe be great to have but might be over the top compared to the rest of your kit and what your ambitions and abilities are and tbh there's little point in buying a Neuman and then coupling it to a cheap pre-amp (so plan the upgrade wink.gif )...

WRT the midi keyboard, +1 as Andrew has said but also to add that many semi-pro and pro studios also have numerous hardware synths and keyboards. The issue here is often availability and costs (both to buy and maintain) but often a collection will have been built up over several years along with guitars, basses, drums and mics and hardware comps, reverbs and other outboard. Many also have an acoustic piano if they have sufficient space to house it properly. A midi keyboard often sits in the control room to provide quick midi access to VSTs running on the host computers. They often aren't 'recorded' in real time but edited off line so a small one can be used. They're also usually small because most engineers prioritise the mixing console over the midi keyboard as that is where most time and input will be spent.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:29 AM