2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Another Amp Hunting Thread: Help Needed!, Small Watt Amp / Head / Preamp
maharzan
Aug 6 2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Guys,

I have seen a few threads of amp search and while preferences are different, I thought I would post a new one and not distract the other threads.

So, the main criteria for the amp I am looking for is, it should be low watt. Well I can't crank up 100W tube amp as it will surely smash all the glasses.. lol. Even 40W tube amp is loud for sure (I don't have any experience but I have heard it). With that criteria I think a lot of Marshalls are gone. smile.gif

But this is something I want to do, have a amp head and run it though some speaker simulator so I can record with that as well without disturbing the neighbors. I guess this is possible and I can still consider some 50W amp heads.

I live in a country where there are virtually no tube amps. I have seen Marshall DSL and TSL amps but they are just huge and not practical to keep in a living room plus I can't practice with it. There are no small tube amps live Crate V30, Fender C30 (or something) that I have been considering during my last amp hunt. I still have no amps in hand. I did had a chance to buy the Fender Hot Rod but that was just over 1200 USD here.

I am preferring to get a JSX Mini Colossal which is just 8W and is perfect for home and recording as well. But I can't seem to get this. Why this amp? because I have been a huge JS fan and I like his sound. If anyone is in Singapore, perhaps they might help me if this amp is available there.

I have also been searching here and there and I recently came across with JCM900 head whose sound seems fantastic.

I am also thinking of getting a 2 x 12 cabinet so I can use that in shows (if I ever do one). But till then I would be fine running into speaker simulator and just record. Do I have to get the amp head btw? I think Muris is running somekind of Mesa Boogie preamp.

I am open to choices for an amp. Once I narrow down the choices then I will see if I can order them somehow.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that (as most guitarists do I suppose) I would like to use the clean channel in the amp and distort it from the pedals. I prefer less knobs on the amp so I won't have to play around too much. Amps like TSL just has too many knobs. Minimalistic, you know. I also don't intend to use a lot of pedals btw.

With that said, I am also not looking for classic amps. Not into classic rock. I am more into modern rock but the amp should be simple again, if that possible.

Any help from you great guitar gods will be helpful.

BTW, I am now turning into tube amps with analog pedals.. enuff of digital fuzz for me. Its starting to hurt my ears.

Thanks,
maharzan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 6 2009, 12:57 PM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 6 2009, 12:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
I know the perfect amp for you!

BLACKSTAR HT-5 COMBO OR MINISTACK!

Blackstar is a new company foundend by Ex-Marshall workers so it sounds like a modern Marshall amp. The Ht-5 is a 5 watt ALL TUBE amp with 2 channels (clean and overdrive), it has a built in speaker simulation so you can record straight into the sound card, you can play through headphones, it has a unique feature of making it sound like a british or american amp with the turn of a knob and it comes with a footswitch!

And it's not too expensive either! Don't buy the Mini colossal, it's too overpriced and big ampheads with 2x12 cabs are great for gigs and rehearsing but not for playing in your room and silent recording...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 6 2009, 01:06 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
hmm.. I will look into that.. btw, I just found the Marshall Class 5 amp as well. Not sure if I can order these though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 6 2009, 01:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Just liek Zakk I'm also for the Blackstar HT5. If you get the combo it has a 10" speaker which seem to be just right for the amp.

The JSX mini btw is at 5W, not 8. And has an 8" speaker.

EDIT: The Marshall class 5 seem like a good amp too, but honestly... it's been a while since Marshall came up with the good ideas first.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 6 2009, 01:25 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Oops my bad.. Thanks for mentioning that..

Yep I am looking at the sample video for HT-5 I found and it sounds really good. I am liking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es...feature=related

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 6 2009, 02:25 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow.. I have been looking in sample videos of HT-5 and it has blown me away. I found another vid as well (of the many)

Now, I need to find out how to get that thing here. Definitely considering this amp as Marshall class 5 seems to have just come out and surely its going to take a while to get it in stores.

Someone willing to FEDEX?

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 6 2009, 02:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2009, 06:36 PM
Instructor
I would say that Blackstar HT5 is something that you should definitely check out, but if you need all tube amp for home, it may be wise to check out some of the 15W amps as well, like
Vox Night Train,

Marshall Haze Head

Blackstat Artisan head

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 7 2009, 06:59 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I agree with Ivan, you should check out the VOX Nighttrain.
And maybe the VOX AC4TV as well (1/4, 1 and 4 watts) smile.gif

But the Blackstar is a great amp though, I've played it and I liked pretty much!
Just thought you could check out a few before deciding smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 03:53 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I like the artisan head (because its all hand wired) as well but a bit pricey and I am not sure I can get that. I will find it out though. I haven't heard much good reviews on the Haze though. For the Night Train, I have seen one comparision video at you tube and I liked the Blackstar sound. Vox seems to give more of classic / blues tone which I am not all into. I like it but I don't really know much of blues or classic rock (in my playing).

Thanks guys, I will look into it again. Though I have virtually decided on going with the HT-5 because of its simplicity and its cheap (though its going to cost me like 500-600 USD) sad.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 8 2009, 03:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 04:39 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
hmm.. theres no effects loop in artisan ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 8 2009, 05:04 AM
GMC:er
I have been looking at the Carvin Vai Legacy combo. But that is loud as I understand it. Any thoughts on the Vai Legacy? All the demos I have heard sounded awfully good.

Oh, regarding small amp, I did the bitmo mod on my Valve Junior. Sounds Marshally. Just $20, and took only a half hour.
Really a dull amp at low volumes until you do the mod (although good at high volume before that). Nice to practice with. I never turn it full up. You mention 40 Watts. Well all things taken equal, you need a 400watt amp to double your volume. A 100 will not be that much louder. However some amps are louder than others, with equal watt output (for whatever reason). For example I understand that the carvin Vai amp is very loud for a 100 watt amp, that is what everybody says.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 05:32 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I do wish there was a store so I could test out all amps. Unfortunately, where I am, there is one store that imports foreign amps and they don't import any tube amps as they are awefully expensive. The one TSL in store has been staying there for the last 7 years I have visited. So, the only choice is to find recommendations and search on youtube. I can order through that store but will have no choice except to buy it. I can't say no after he brings it here. sad.gif and of course even things which are cheap already are expensive when it gets here.. shipping / taxes / profit and what not.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Aug 8 2009, 05:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 8 2009, 06:15 AM
Anyone reading this thread should check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathmandu

That is one place I would like to visit, although maybe you get sick of tourists.

Regarding Amp, I would really go with a tube amp, even if you have to do some looking to get one at a price you like. They do make some now that are less expensive, but i don't know if they are available to you. But tube amps just have a special sound to them. I run the clean channel, as you mentioned, i also use pedals for other things. But without the tube amp, it just does not sound right to me, without that it is missing something.

edit: I think you can get some good advise here on amps. just watch out for guys pushing what they have, that is often human nature to an extent. Sometimes what they have might be good, sometimes they just like to feel it is good, because it is what they have. people are just like that a lot. I am no different at times. You just have to watch out for that. But with that caveat, I think you can get good advise here.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 8 2009, 06:20 AM

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 06:53 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks fkalich. Yep, we do have lot of tourists. smile.gif Many come for the mountains and adventure which I feel like doing too at times. Its a wonderful place to be. Kathmandu is one messed up city though.

Yep, I have got one tube preamp called Womanizer from Damage Control which I feel is really good too. I am living with that right now. At least I get some tube feeling. But still I don't have a real speaker system or amp system and the tube sound is just not there at the moment. I am looking to buy THE AMP for a lifetime (although I am sure once you get one you will likely get few more). Get that REAL TUBE sound. For the moment I am looking for one that is good for practice, home and also do some record. I have been searching for nearly 3 years now. I tried buying a used DSL one time but I just felt it was too big for my room.

I would love to hear more recommendations for an amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 8 2009, 07:02 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 8 2009, 12:53 AM) *
Thanks fkalich. Yep, we do have lot of tourists. smile.gif Many come for the mountains and adventure which I feel like doing too at times. Its a wonderful place to be. Kathmandu is one messed up city though.

Yep, I have got one tube preamp called Womanizer from Damage Control which I feel is really good too. I am living with that right now. At least I get some tube feeling. But still I don't have a real speaker system or amp system and the tube sound is just not there at the moment. I am looking to buy THE AMP for a lifetime (although I am sure once you get one you will likely get few more). Get that REAL TUBE sound. For the moment I am looking for one that is good for practice, home and also do some record. I have been searching for nearly 3 years now. I tried buying a used DSL one time but I just felt it was too big for my room.

I would love to hear more recommendations for an amp.

Well keep in mind that a 50watt amp is only twice as loud as a 5watt. 5 watts can be pretty loud. I use an Epiphone Valve Junior that I did a $20 bitmo mod on. There are a zillion mods. Some guys change the output transformer also. There is a $50 bitmo mod that can give you all kinds of sounds. The $20 mod is just marshally. I have not changed the output transformer, they cost about $60. There are a few places that pretty much just sell mod stuff for this amp. Andew here has one, and has modded his.

But there are others. Just don't feel like 5 watts is not enough for practice, it is pretty loud, and you could probably get a little amp shipped for maybe not too much. Maybe.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 07:22 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am actually liking 5W amps. and most likely I am getting the Blackstar HT-5 amps as they are available in Singapore. The store here imports from Singapore. But I am open to others as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 8 2009, 07:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
hey pal, I actually got rid of my blackstar head because i found it just too loud for the house at any sort of volume, the drive channel was very much along the lines of their pedals so as long as you like that sound (Which I dont really!)then it will be ideal. The clean wasnt bad and cranked it had a natural breakup which i liked but again it was just too loud in the house so i ended up not really using any of the good features of the amp. This is not a reflction on the amp just my personal needs, i think its very high quality for the price and has great flexibility, just bear in mind when you crank it you will become a lot closer to your neighbours!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2009, 08:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
So, what do you plan to use now Sted?

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 8 2009, 08:37 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (sted @ Aug 8 2009, 08:48 AM) *
hey pal, I actually got rid of my blackstar head because i found it just too loud for the house at any sort of volume, the drive channel was very much along the lines of their pedals so as long as you like that sound (Which I dont really!)then it will be ideal. The clean wasnt bad and cranked it had a natural breakup which i liked but again it was just too loud in the house so i ended up not really using any of the good features of the amp. This is not a reflction on the amp just my personal needs, i think its very high quality for the price and has great flexibility, just bear in mind when you crank it you will become a lot closer to your neighbours!

You should try out the Vox AC4TV combo or head.
That's switchabble between 1/4, 1 and 4 watts, perfect for home use smile.gif

I usually use it on 1/4 and 1 watts, and 4 in the weekends biggrin.gif
Great one-channel amp smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 8 2009, 11:57 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 8 2009, 09:37 AM) *
You should try out the Vox AC4TV combo or head.
That's switchabble between 1/4, 1 and 4 watts, perfect for home use smile.gif

I usually use it on 1/4 and 1 watts, and 4 in the weekends biggrin.gif
Great one-channel amp smile.gif

Yes it's a good amp too,very vintage sounding in comparance to the Blackstar 5W. When I put an OD (Bad Monkey) before mine I get it into cranked Marshall 80's brown sound territory. Very similar to the JCM800 I used to have.

I also run at 1/4 w for most of the time, and at 4 watts it's a lot more silent than the Blackstar, I belive the 5W the Blackstar dishes out is closer to 10 or 15... if the Vox i right at 4watts.

But for recording and other nice features the Blackstar can't be beaten wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:03 PM