Pickup
kaznie_NL
Jan 30 2009, 09:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Guys,

I've made a bid on a Dimarzio Dual Sound humbucker. The pal reacted and said 30 euros was ok, is that a good deal? I'm not sure whether I want it... My bid wasn't binding, so there's no obligation. I have an Ibanez SA with a true duo bucker. Can I use it with my split coil system? Is it worth it for someone who's not into soldering? I can solder, just not very good wink.gif I failed at making an effects pedal, but those components were millimeters...

Greetz,

Kaz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jan 30 2009, 09:20 PM
GMC:er
im sure it can split the humbucker and the ibanez sa standard pickups kind of suck...i think it is worth it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Jan 30 2009, 09:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 30 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
soldering it in is no problem, especially with Marcus Siepens' new lesson, and i've yet to see a dimarzio pickup with something else than 4conductor wiring, so splitting is no problem BUT...

Is the pickup what you want your guitar to sound like? I don't know the pickup but it would not help if you get a pickup cheap but you don't like the sound...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 30 2009, 09:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
True, I can't find right sound demos, but I believe this is a Super Distortion with split function, or something like that. tongue.gif I love the Rock sound, so classic rock, heavy rock, that stuf. Is this one ok for that?

UPDATE: "Take a Super Distortion®, include a push-pull pot for series-parallel or single-coil operation and you have the Dual Sound®."

So that means Dual Sound is just a super distortion with a split coil knob (which is on my SA) right?

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jan 30 2009, 10:41 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 31 2009, 12:21 AM
Instructor
For 30 euros I would say it's a pretty good deal smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 31 2009, 09:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The Dimarzio site has some wiring instruction, but which one should I use? An H-S-S guitar with volume and tone pod. The volume pod works as push/pull and I have a five-way-switch.

Thanks guys!

BTW, it's a cream colour, where my others are black, but I think that would kinda look cool, because you can see that there has been some upgrades to the guitar tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 31 2009, 12:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
For an Ibanez SA, do I need F-Spaced? Because this one isn't... I just opened up my Ibanez... The Ibanez company leaves all the wires quite long, and the wraps them with a little plastic string. That means I can't see anything before I cut that plastic thing...

I'm nervous for the installment, it's not to hard? I think I should just cut the plastic string so I can follow the wires. The wires from the humbuckers are the one in the black sleeve, right? And is the sound difference big with Ibanez standard True Duo buckers? The sound is the same as the Super Distortion sound. The push/pull pot contains 12 (not sure) pins, should I just solder the old ones of and the new ones on the same place?

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jan 31 2009, 12:18 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jan 31 2009, 12:42 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't know this pickup, but in general 30 bucks for a good pickup is a good deal. But the big question is, is this really the pickup that you want, or is it just a good deal? I somehow have the impression that you are not really sure about the sound of this thing. About changing in general, it is not that much of a problem, you can take my new lesson as a reference and you should be able to do it. And as you can see in one of the videos, I am also not really great in soldering, still I can change pickups wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2009, 06:27 PM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus, it is not a bad deal Kaz, so I recommend that you try it, and see what you can come up with it. If you don't like it, you can put it on a sale and look for a new one as the worst possibility.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 1 2009, 11:25 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 31 2009, 06:27 PM) *
I agree with Marcus, it is not a bad deal Kaz, so I recommend that you try it, and see what you can come up with it. If you don't like it, you can put it on a sale and look for a new one as the worst possibility.

That's what I thought as well tongue.gif Maybe I'll even make profit if I sell it again tongue.gif

But, do I need F-Space on my SA? And which wiring diagram do I need? those are the two main questions tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 1 2009, 12:06 PM
Instructor
Sorry man, yes, you do need F spaced pickups for the SA is it only accepts F spaced. About the diagram, what guitar do you have, (exact model)

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 1 2009, 06:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
well that sucks... then I don't want to buy it tongue.gif It doesn't even fit tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 2 2009, 05:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
the guy who sells it measured it on 50mm.... that's like exactly in between normal and F right?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 3 2009, 03:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
New question: The TB-4 (Seymour Duncan) seems cool. I also like TB-6 on the dirty channel, but the tb-4 sounds way better on the clean. Now the TB-4 (which is the trembucker version of the SH-4, so both Jeff Beck model) has two options for the screws, some version for instance the picture on SD's site have three holes on each site, while other version have only one! My guitar has one on each side, not three! Why is that difference there??

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:34 PM