Speed
misterj
Aug 16 2007, 01:15 AM
GMC:er
hey pavel, i was just wondering something. i know that each person is different, but how long do you think it took you after you started practicing for speed to notice a difference? was there a certain point which you made huge progress, or did you struggle for every bpm on the metronome the whole way?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Pavel
Aug 16 2007, 04:00 PM
Instructor
Hey!

When i started to practice scales and such stuff i was using a Digitech RP100 which had built-in drum beats. And i was practicing to those! In he beginning it all looked pretty much pointless because i was getting progress totally slow. Later - the more i was gaining overall technique - the faster i was improving.

Let's put it simple way: it took me almost 5 years to get from 0 to where i am now.

Progress comes, than you hit a period when you can't play a thing - than i was making pauses for 3-4 days without guitar, and than back on practicing with progressing again. I guess each player has his own way of dealing with these "empty" periods.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 21 2007, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 16 2007, 10:00 AM) *
Hey!

When i started to practice scales and such stuff i was using a Digitech RP100 which had built-in drum beats. And i was practicing to those! In he beginning it all looked pretty much pointless because i was getting progress totally slow. Later - the more i was gaining overall technique - the faster i was improving.

Let's put it simple way: it took me almost 5 years to get from 0 to where i am now.

Progress comes, than you hit a period when you can't play a thing - than i was making pauses for 3-4 days without guitar, and than back on practicing with progressing again. I guess each player has his own way of dealing with these "empty" periods.

Hey I have a rp100

Do you feel that if you had the help that is on GMC, back then, that it would have still taken five years?

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Aug 21 2007, 11:39 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 16 2007, 10:00 AM) *

I'm still in that stage

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
No Payne No Gain
Aug 21 2007, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Aug 21 2007, 11:39 AM) *
I'm still in that stage

Ha, ya that sucks.
I feel like I'm gaining some speed with a metronome right now.
-------------------------------------5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6---------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------5-6-7-8 -------------------9-8-7-6------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------5-6-7-8---------------------------------------9-8-7-6-----------------------------------------7-8-9-10
----------5-6-7-8----------------------------------------------------------9-8-7-6---------------------7-8-9-10----------
-5-6-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------9-8-7-6-7-8-9-10--------------------

It utilizes all of you fingers and has been helping me with muscle memorization. It's just straight down the strings with 1234 fingers, then move one fret over back up then one fret over and you can move up the neck to the higher frets like the 15. Hope this isn't confusing cause it's really simple and convenient positioning and it's helped me to gain speed. I started with like 60-70 bpm. I counted like this ONE-two-three-four ONE-two-three four ONE-two-three-four. It's taken me about 7 days to play pretty cleanly at 100 bpm up to like the 12th fret before I loose steam. This thing is fun to work with when your like watchin TV or something because it's just to help with your finger positioning, muscle memory, and timing.
A few tips that I know of- Keep your fingers as close to the fret board as possible. Play every notes evenly. And try not to think of the notes in fours, you can count but try and have all the note flow together as one.
Main thing though is to start of slow and evenly at a comfortable bpm and you will see improvement even the next day, but it's subtle. Which is how it works. You can gauge your improvement by a nudge up to a higher bpm while playing smoothly. The smoothness is just as-or more important than speed at all bpms.
Hope this helps, Hope you like to read. smile.gif

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Aug 21 2007, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (No Payne No Gain @ Aug 21 2007, 06:18 AM) *
Ha, ya that sucks.
I feel like I'm gaining some speed with a metronome right now.
-------------------------------------5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6---------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------5-6-7-8 -------------------9-8-7-6------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------5-6-7-8---------------------------------------9-8-7-6-----------------------------------------7-8-9-10
----------5-6-7-8----------------------------------------------------------9-8-7-6---------------------7-8-9-10----------
-5-6-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------------------------9-8-7-6-7-8-9-10--------------------

It utilizes all of you fingers and has been helping me with muscle memorization. It's just straight down the strings with 1234 fingers, then move one fret over back up then one fret over and you can move up the neck to the higher frets like the 15. Hope this isn't confusing cause it's really simple and convenient positioning and it's helped me to gain speed. I started with like 60-70 bpm. I counted like this ONE-two-three-four ONE-two-three four ONE-two-three-four. It's taken me about 7 days to play pretty cleanly at 100 bpm up to like the 12th fret before I loose steam. This thing is fun to work with when your like watchin TV or something because it's just to help with your finger positioning, muscle memory, and timing.
A few tips that I know of- Keep your fingers as close to the fret board as possible. Play every notes evenly. And try not to think of the notes in fours, you can count but try and have all the note flow together as one.
Main thing though is to start of slow and evenly at a comfortable bpm and you will see improvement even the next day, but it's subtle. Which is how it works. You can gauge your improvement by a nudge up to a higher bpm while playing smoothly. The smoothness is just as-or more important than speed at all bpms.

thanks, I'll try it out.

QUOTE (No Payne No Gain @ Aug 21 2007, 06:18 AM) *
Hope this helps, Hope you like to read. smile.gif

Lol

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Aug 21 2007, 12:24 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 21 2007, 12:32 PM
just like this 1 scales are the same basic exersize, the 1 i use for this is just
---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1------------
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------4-3-2-1-
-------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------

take it all the way back down then start on 2..And i keep doing this all the way until 12 you can also use steps so it would be 1 3 5 7 instead .. just preference.

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Aug 21 2007, 12:33 PM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
No Payne No Gain
Aug 21 2007, 01:03 PM
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=2131
or just go here there's a lot of good stuff for improving speed w/ metronome.

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Aug 21 2007, 01:06 PM
heh, I used this exercise to practice hammer-ons and pull-offs, as well as my picking it's very simple, yet effective.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 04:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 21 2007, 12:36 PM) *
Hey I have a rp100

Do you feel that if you had the help that is on GMC, back then, that it would have still taken five years?

RP100 is very good for home practicing and it also has built-in drum beat with some cool beats for practicing speed. Now, to your question:

GMC doesn't make things faster - it makes things more interesting and gives you correct direction on each thing covered in it's lessons. To become fast you still need to spend certain amount of practicing hours - no matter what source of exercises you use.

->>You see you are practicing OUR (instructor's) lessons on speed, sweeping, tapping. All the instructors practiced their own exercises for years - so now it's the same thing brought to you with explanation. We don't give you a sweeping-potion. We give you well prepared lessons and all the rest depends on you. Not your guitar, not your pedals, not the website design or forum order, not your cat or wife....on YOU ONLY! If you ARE practicing lessons to get them 100% - you'll become good. If you don't - well...you'll regret it alter! smile.gif <<- Take this paragraph as a friend's advice.

I was practicing - i got to where i am. IF you practice these exercises now - you will sure get here also. And yes - it would still take me 5 years of practicing. smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 21 2007, 10:10 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 10:24 AM) *
RP100 is very good for home practicing and it also has built-in drum beat with some cool beats for practicing speed. Now, to your question:
GMC doesn't make things faster - it makes things more interesting and gives you correct direction on each thing covered in it's lessons. To become fast you still need to spend certain amount of practicing hours - no matter what source of exercises you use.

->>You see you are practicing OUR (instructor's) lessons on speed, sweeping, tapping. All the instructors practiced their own exercises for years - so now it's the same thing brought to you with explanation. We don't give you a sweeping-potion. We give you well prepared lessons and all the rest depends on you. Not your guitar, not your pedals, not the website design or forum order, not your cat or wife....on YOU ONLY! If you ARE practicing lessons to get them 100% - you'll become good. If you don't - well...you'll regret it alter! smile.gif <<- Take this paragraph as a friend's advice.

I was practicing - i got to where i am. IF you practice these exercises now - you will sure get here also. And yes - it would still take me 5 years of practicing. smile.gif

It is taken from a friend, thanks

And dang, I just knew I would regret getting rid of that cat, I see why now, she was purring in 32nd notes.

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Aug 21 2007, 10:12 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 21 2007, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Aug 21 2007, 07:32 AM) *
just like this 1 scales are the same basic exersize, the 1 i use for this is just
---------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1------------
-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------4-3-2-1-
-------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------
---------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------
-----------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------
-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------

take it all the way back down then start on 2..And i keep doing this all the way until 12 you can also use steps so it would be 1 3 5 7 instead .. just preference.

Actually have used that for a longtime to warm up my fingers smile.gif I go up and down and repeat that pattern all the way till 12th fret.Also use it to practice my alternte picking

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 10:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 21 2007, 11:10 PM) *
It is taken from a friend, thanks

And dang, I just knew I would regret getting rid of that cat, I see why now, she was purring in 32nd notes.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif poor cat! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You're welcome m8!

--------------------

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Aug 22 2007, 12:00 AM
One thing I personally have started to do when I'm practicing any of those exercises where I'm travelling up and down the fretboard is to not do every fret, or the marked frets or whatnot, but actually the naturals, so F, G, A, B, C, D, E then back down. If I'm focusing on the exercises, then I'll repeat the name of the root note as I hit it, and sometimes the notes in the middle.

This has helped train my ear for what the naturals sound like and has seemed to make it a bit easier for me to recognize when I'm playing something that's out of key or to work out the general structure of a backing track by ear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
misterj
Aug 24 2007, 09:09 PM
hey pavel, do you still practice for speed, or do you figure youve got that part down, now on to something else? and if you have gone on to something else, what is it? what do you practice? what are you trying to improve?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 24 2007, 10:59 PM
Instructor
I'm still practicing speed and overall technique! I am working on getting faster! Sweeping, tapping, legato, AP - a practice it all!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:35 PM