2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Little Rock Collab, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 31 2008, 07:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Ok guys this was a very interesting collab , I want to thank you all for participating.We got a lot of different feelings in solos in this one and diversity of styles!! I tried hard to accent my comments mostly on how to improve playing and being constructive (rather than on good parts).Please keep in mind that these are my subjective opinions/taste.I am very pleased to have an honor to collaborate with all of you all over the world smile.gif Have fun listening to final product !!

HERE IS THE FINAL MIX :

Attached File  Little_Rock_Collab_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 7.02MB ) Number of downloads: 245

Participiants : 16

I arranged takes in order which you recorded and sent them to me:

Comments :

Tjchep

Ok we are opening this collab with Tj's take.Your tone is pretty good , especially in dynamics.Maybe its a little too raw , lowering gain a bit would help.Overall it captures your fingers and guitar character nicely.Melody idea is very nice , though I get an impression that this is done in one take "jamming style", so It has good and not so good phrases.You could have played it few times more to get an clearer idea for your solo and refine melodies..One more thing , you played it pretty dirty , its cool to have "finger noise" when preparing for cool bendy phrases , but somehow you overdid it.Try muting a little more here and there.This is overall very energetic and emotional take , I really liked it a lot! Those are just minor things you could pay attention to.I heard a lot of your recordings , you really got a nerve for improv, just keep it up!

Bluesrock

Thanks for participating man.Your tone was a little bit unbalanced and raw.Guitar didn't get the whole frequency space , try lowering mids a bit and playing with bass and treble frequencies.If you were going for old school tone this can somewhat pass for that.Overall solo idea is interesting , here are some suggestions how to improve it : pay attention to notes transitions , you want to make them smooth not much noticeable.When constructing phrases try playing different fingerings, ones that you are not used to.That way you will be able to construct more musical phrases..Try avoiding playing exercise patterns etc..Also you are lacking a little sustain on your notes (whether its the instrument, gate), pay attention to it.And last thing , try adding vibrato , hammer ons, bends to your phrases to make them more expressible.These are just suggestion, you played an interesting take anyway! Thanks for participating!

Vasilis

Hey idea with harmonies is a very good!! Just they could have been a little more complex , these long notes didn't quite make up for lack of solo over it.And pay attention to having harmonies in perfect tune.Try the same approach with a little faster licks (Iron Maiden style) and you will nail it...I really liked the fast solos inside..First one really started well , you played it very good technically and clean.Its was a really great lick , good note choice..You just seemed a little lost in the end , if you played it few times more to find something better it would be perfect and confident till the end! Second small solo was perfect throughout !!! Really good job and I really liked the country lick ! Really interesting approach and solo idea , and well execution overall ! Thanks for playing in this one!

Siggum

Very nice tone you captured! You played interesting rhythmic concept..Start of the solo (through first chord) could have been a little more convincing though.Part when you are just going up the scale could have been a little different (less straight) but you finished it with a really nice phrase that gave meaning to it.Now we have a really cool tapping part which is really well thought of and perfectly finished with a huge bend and vibrato.Tapping part could have been played a little cleaner though.Overall this was very good take, all notes are in place, you mixed different techniques well, played interesting and not so common phrases (especially rhythmically) which gave a very nice overall feeling to the track..Good job Siggum , I'm really glad you participated in this one!

Superize

Very good tone quality..A little too "metalish" with high gain.For the tone itself it works and its cool , but I think it didn't match the backing perfectly, could have been a little softer.Note choice was spot on.But try incorporating small phrases like conversations..Questions and answer type..Also experiment with different note values to make them more interesting, this is very important in order not to sound so straight.And its pretty easy to incorporate.Also this take seems to lack more expression tools like bends and vibrato...Those really mean a difference.Overall it was nice and precise.Last note in the solo was a little out of tune..Interesting solo idea , good quality recording ! Thanks man for participating in this collab!

Nemanja

What can I say man! I really didn't expect this take..I expected singing or similar and I ended up with a percussive combo of sound fx and guitar solo!! It was mind blowing , I really liked how you combined all those sounds , mumbling, clapping , cigarette lighter and of course guitar solo !! Really amazing what you can do with a good condenser mic.Regarding guitar solo it was really well constructed , simple yet effective ! I like the Spanish vibe in it!
Really amazing and refreshing take man! Thanks for participating!

Kyldee

I liked the space you did on your guitar sound..I would just suggest lowering gain a bit , it sounds a little fuzzy and "digital", though overall its a nice guitar sound.I like the overall idea , tapping part was effective..You just need to refine the phrases to make them a little more interesting..Also try incorporating bends and vibrato, rather just straight notes.It really adds a lot to the solos general impression.Generally I liked your take, just need a little refinement! Thanks for participating in this collab man!

Henry

Your an instructor so I'm really glad you appeared in this one.Your tone sounded a little bit muddy at start, but as I listen to it a lot I'm starting to like it..It awakes some underwater atmosphere feeling smile.gif Phrasing is interesting and original.Thanks for spicing up this one man!!!

Audiopaal

I included both of your takes..You are very skilled in composing so I got really good takes..First one with harmonies is excellent , I like its Christmas feeling..Wouldn't change much to it!
Now we have an ukulele solo!! Amazing , really liked it !! You played a beautiful Melodie on that instrument !! Really refreshes and adds to a diversity to this collab..Thanks for participating, twice! smile.gif

Bali

Jazzy take !! You got a pretty cool clean tone..I liked the strong attack, but would recommend lowering space a little bit it seems to much..Also dynamically its not so tight, you got really quiet and loud parts (doesn't seem intentionally).You need all the notes to sound out as you wanted them.Anyway really interesting note choice , especially those little chords you did.Its pretty convincing take..Thanks for you participation man !!

Oxac

You got a pretty nice tone , but It had too much gain .Try lowering it.Try not to mix up too much effects.Also regarding pickup noise you encountered , try moving away from CRT monitor and similar equipment (maybe using TFT monitors? )...I liked your phrasing, it seems that everything is in place..Those fast runs were executed really well and worked out in making an interesting solo!!! Very nice take overall man , thanks for playing in this collab!

Leedbreak

I liked your guitar tone very much! It captured the instrument character nicely...Regarding the solo , try starting phrases on strong notes (root, 3rd, 5th ,7th of the chord played) in order to get convincing melodies.You seem a little out of scale to me too..Also try mixing different note lengths , phrases consist of both notes and their durations..You don't want to sell the same trick too many times in one solo (regarding nigher phrase or groove).You seem to have the technique down (fast picking etc) so just refine the note choices a little (and theory study) and you'll be there.It was a nice take overall , I enjoyed your presence in this collab!! Thanks.

Ctodd

I'm so glad that you decided to do your first collab here! Guitar tone is pretty raw and can pass as an old school type of tone (Beatles etc).Pay attention to dynamics when playing..You need to be able to control your expression by playing some notes quieter and some louder in different places intentionally.In this take you were a little too much all over the place..Practice slowly with a metronome playing a single not from quiet to loudest and back..You will learn how to control it.Dynamics are very important in improvisation and solos..All notes seemed in place (expect one in the end).Now regarding phrases, I'm guessing you are new to this..You don't want them to sound like the exercise you did (for scale).Try thinking of phrases as small conversation between two people.You have questions and answers..Have pauses in between them.Try forcing your self to play fingering that you are not used with in order to escape "scale like" sound in phrases.Its all about experimenting so with a little practice you'll be there..Anyway I enjoyed your take , hope to see you in my future collabs ! Cheers

Lian

Thanks for you participation in this one..You are the instructor so you know your stuff.That shred part was awesome , you really mixed a lot of techniques in this one!! Thanks a lot !

Kaznie_NL

Really nice tone you got mate.I liked your solo, here is how to improve it : you came up with 2 good phrases in beginning , question answer type ones.They are good..You just lacked a little more development in the solo..You don't want to repeat similar phrases (in notes or groove) too much.Or experiment with playing same notes in different rhythmic manner and vise versa.Overall it was a really nice and melodic take and I enjoyed it! I liked the technique and slides you incorporated.I'm sure with just a little more time on this one that you would make the completely good solo. Thanks for participating in collab!

Caelumamittendum

I liked your guitar tone , no remarks there! You played a really nice solo , well executed ! Phrases are nice, you mixed techniques well and played it safely and clean.In order to make it better you could work a little on your vibrato to make it stronger and precise.Also try bending notes here and there.It really adds a lot of expression to a solo performance..The tapping lick was cool!! Thanks for the bonus video , I wish all could post their takes like that ! Cheers mate!

Thank you all once again !!

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 1 2008, 12:07 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 31 2008, 07:50 PM
GMC:er
Cool stuff man, I think the sync is a bit messed up. But that's okay. Just a collab, and just for fun. smile.gif

Tjchep

Ok we are opening this collab with Tj's take.Your tone is pretty good , especially in dynamics.Maybe its a little too raw , lowering gain a bit would help.Overall it captures your fingers and guitar character nicely.Melody idea is very nice , though I get an impression that this is done in one take "jamming style", so It has good and not so good phrases.You could have played it few times more to get an clearer idea for your solo and refine melodies..One more thing , you played it pretty dirty , its cool to have "finger noise" when preparing for cool bendy phrases , but somehow you overdid it.Try muting a little more here and there.This is overall very energetic and emotional take , I really liked it a lot! Those are just minor things you could pay attention to.I heard a lot of your recordings , you really got a nerve for improv, just keep it up!

Yeah, First take. Wasn't meant to be perfect. smile.gif Most of that extra noise you were talking about was on purpose though. Part of my style I guess. I always thought it added to the energy, but I guess not.

Thanks for comments man. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Aug 31 2008, 07:56 PM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Siggum
Aug 31 2008, 07:51 PM
Great collab Bogdan and thanks for the comments, i think you made a little mistake when mixing my take, it sounds like im playing offbeat(not synced), shoulda been alittle more ahead in the mix, its no problem though just wanted to mention it wink.gif Fun backing mate!

This post has been edited by Siggum: Aug 31 2008, 07:52 PM

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 31 2008, 08:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thnx fo the comments Bogdan! They help! I'll get busy "developing" laugh.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 31 2008, 08:27 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Aug 31 2008, 08:50 PM) *
Cool stuff man, I think the sync is a bit messed up. But that's okay. Just a collab, and just for fun. smile.gif

Yeah, First take. Wasn't meant to be perfect. smile.gif Most of that extra noise you were talking about was on purpose though. Part of my style I guess. I always thought it added to the energy, but I guess not.

Thanks for comments man. smile.gif

I redone the track now, have put your take in DAW they way you sent me , I hope its ok.
I know it was a first take and for that one its very good!!! About the noise when starting phrases , I know what your doing and I like that and it does add to the energy (which your solo is full of)...I just though you overdid it a little (its a good trick, try not using it so often to make it even more interesting and unique).You definitly got a unique style , I can easily recognize your takes in collabs !!

So keep up the good work!

QUOTE (Siggum @ Aug 31 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Great collab Bogdan and thanks for the comments, i think you made a little mistake when mixing my take, it sounds like im playing offbeat(not synced), shoulda been alittle more ahead in the mix, its no problem though just wanted to mention it wink.gif Fun backing mate!

Something weird happened during the mix, I have put your take now in time line exactly same as you sent it ...I hope its fine now.Its not a problem to redo the mix , so thanks for noting !! smile.gif

Cheers mate!

@Kaznie_NL :

Thank you , thats the spirit !! Keep it up, I want to hear you singing in my next collab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 31 2008, 08:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 31 2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks Bogdan, that noice wasn't really the pickups fault, I discovered that it was my tele cable that screwed my. Regarding the gain, yea; you're completely right less gain would definitly have improved the sound. Thanks for the positive feedback as well!

-edit- my track is a little bit off as well.

BTW, this was my first collab as well biggrin.gif

2:edit- I just wanted to include that it was a really nice backing track and I enjoyed jamming over it.

This post has been edited by Oxac: Aug 31 2008, 09:55 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 31 2008, 10:52 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks for the comments, appreciate it mate smile.gif

Great and fun backing to work wih smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Aug 31 2008, 10:57 PM
Instructor
great work man! sounds really cool, congrats to all! great takes and mix! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 31 2008, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Aug 31 2008, 10:51 PM) *
Thanks Bogdan, that noice wasn't really the pickups fault, I discovered that it was my tele cable that screwed my. Regarding the gain, yea; you're completely right less gain would definitly have improved the sound. Thanks for the positive feedback as well!

-edit- my track is a little bit off as well.

BTW, this was my first collab as well biggrin.gif

2:edit- I just wanted to include that it was a really nice backing track and I enjoyed jamming over it.

I'm really glad you started doing collabs , I hope to see in my new one soon! wink.gif
I fine tuned your take now its ok, I was having latency issues with some of your takes..Sorry for that , but its easy to fix.Also always set up the tempo in your recording software so when you export your takes , you do it as precise as you can!

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Aug 31 2008, 11:52 PM) *
Thanks for the comments, appreciate it mate smile.gif

Great and fun backing to work wih smile.gif

Thanks for jumping in! You always have fresh ideas smile.gif

QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Aug 31 2008, 11:57 PM) *
great work man! sounds really cool, congrats to all! great takes and mix! biggrin.gif

Thanks man , glad to have you in! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Aug 31 2008, 11:18 PM
great job guys! Lots of useful comments by Bogdan!

+Quote Post
Bali
Aug 31 2008, 11:51 PM
How so cool guys!! This was really fun!!!

Bogdan, thx for your BT and your useful comments!!

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Sep 1 2008, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 31 2008, 08:27 PM) *
I redone the track now, have put your take in DAW they way you sent me , I hope its ok.
I know it was a first take and for that one its very good!!! About the noise when starting phrases , I know what your doing and I like that and it does add to the energy (which your solo is full of)...I just though you overdid it a little (its a good trick, try not using it so often to make it even more interesting and unique).You definitly got a unique style , I can easily recognize your takes in collabs !!

So keep up the good work!

Heh, yeah, I guess I did over do it a bit. Will have to look out for that a bit more while playing. smile.gif

Thanks again bro.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Sep 1 2008, 12:45 PM
Great job on the takes guys ,and on the final mix Bog smile.gif

Thanks for the comments smile.gif About the tone, I had just bought the GT-10, and I really didn't know what to do with it...
But I'll keep your suggestions in mind, thanks smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 1 2008, 03:35 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 31 2008, 09:27 PM) *
Something weird happened during the mix, I have put your take now in time line exactly same as you sent it ...I hope its fine now.Its not a problem to redo the mix , so thanks for noting !! smile.gif

Cheers mate!

No problem man, i had issues like that as well when mixing my collab, its perfect now cheers smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
Sep 1 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the colab and feedback Bogdan. I was using a laptop mic to record so thats why the tone camme out like that. As for the bending thanks i'l be sur to work on it

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 1 2008, 08:13 PM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Sep 1 2008, 12:18 AM) *
great job guys! Lots of useful comments by Bogdan!

Yeah we had a great collab with a big diversity of styles , I hope comments are helpful to people how didn't play in this also! Hope to see you in my next collab man smile.gif

Cheers

QUOTE (Bali @ Sep 1 2008, 12:51 AM) *
How so cool guys!! This was really fun!!!

Bogdan, thx for your BT and your useful comments!!

Thank you Bali , keep up the great work !! See you in future collabs smile.gif

QUOTE (Tjchep @ Sep 1 2008, 03:44 AM) *
Heh, yeah, I guess I did over do it a bit. Will have to look out for that a bit more while playing. smile.gif

Thanks again bro.

You welcome mate, just keep up the great work ! smile.gif

QUOTE (kyldeee @ Sep 1 2008, 01:45 PM) *
Great job on the takes guys ,and on the final mix Bog smile.gif

Thanks for the comments smile.gif About the tone, I had just bought the GT-10, and I really didn't know what to do with it...
But I'll keep your suggestions in mind, thanks smile.gif

Of course mate, GT-10 is a great device and I'm sure with a little tweaking you'll get very good quality results with it!

Cheers

QUOTE (Siggum @ Sep 1 2008, 04:35 PM) *
No problem man, i had issues like that as well when mixing my collab, its perfect now cheers smile.gif

Yeah always the second listen is better when doing a mix smile.gif Now all takes should be fine smile.gif

QUOTE (Bluesrock @ Sep 1 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Thanks for the colab and feedback Bogdan. I was using a laptop mic to record so thats why the tone camme out like that. As for the bending thanks i'l be sur to work on it

Oh that explains it all ! Well for laptop mic it sounded pretty good man! smile.gif Regarding bending , just play with it ..Instead of fingering two adjacent notes try playing one and bending from there to the next note.Add vibrato to longer notes and you instantly get a much more expressive solo! smile.gif

Cheers mate

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 1 2008, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Bogdan!

Thanks for the comment - totally agree on the bending part. I have no idea why I tend to neglect such, but I kinda do, although bending is not one of my weakest points. smile.gif

Did you cut of the song early on my solo? I seem to remember it continuing for a while after my last note. This sounds much better though! Perfect!

EDIT: Heard it again, I was wrong, it continues. Still sounds better than when I sent it in, I think tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 1 2008, 08:17 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 2 2008, 02:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 31 2008, 09:27 PM) *
@Kaznie_NL :

Thank you , thats the spirit !! Keep it up, I want to hear you singing in my next collab smile.gif

Haha, it's good to see that you don't just mindlesly check the upload topics, but you remember what everyone does tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 2 2008, 03:38 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 1 2008, 09:15 PM) *
Hey Bogdan!

Thanks for the comment - totally agree on the bending part. I have no idea why I tend to neglect such, but I kinda do, although bending is not one of my weakest points. smile.gif

Did you cut of the song early on my solo? I seem to remember it continuing for a while after my last note. This sounds much better though! Perfect!

EDIT: Heard it again, I was wrong, it continues. Still sounds better than when I sent it in, I think tongue.gif

I'm sure you're good at bending , it adds a lot to the solos so just try paying more attention to in the future..Once you get used to it (including it in solos) you won't have to think much about it smile.gif

Yeah final mix always sound better ! smile.gif

Your solo was very good to close this one.

Hope to see you in my new ones! smile.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Sep 2 2008, 03:22 PM) *
Haha, it's good to see that you don't just mindlesly check the upload topics, but you remember what everyone does tongue.gif

hehehe of course I know what everyone does Kaznie smile.gif

See ya round!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Sep 2 2008, 03:46 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Awesome job by all, Bole-I really enjoyed this track it had
a nice fun upbeat pulse. Thx for the collab biggrin.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:16 PM