2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Need help picking a new guitar, Must have whammy bar
ClifordACDC
Feb 20 2007, 09:35 PM
GMC:er
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]

Im a beginner and want to get a new guitar. I want one with a whammy bar but im not sure what to get. Im also Not sure if i should get one with a standard tremolo or a floyd rose because i dont want to always tune my guitar after using it but i heard floyd roses are hard to restring sad.gif . Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dogman
Feb 21 2007, 02:15 AM
learning how to restring a floyd rose equipped guitar is alot easier than you think and sure beats re tuning your guitar every time to give a vintage fender type tremolo a couple of real good tugs

just my 2 cents wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 21 2007, 02:57 AM
QUOTE (dogman @ Feb 21 2007, 02:15 AM) *
learning how to restring a floyd rose equipped guitar is alot easier than you think and sure beats re tuning your guitar every time to give a vintage fender type tremolo a couple of real good tugs

just my 2 cents wink.gif

If you just attach your strings properly, you won't have a problem with a vintage fender type tremolo. The benefit of the fr or locking tuners is minimal if you are willing to take the care to do so. don't take my word for it, look at thefenderforum.com for a zillion discussions on this. The vintage fender has hung around so long for good reasons.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 21 2007, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Feb 24 2007, 02:25 AM
well i saw a 60th anerversary standard strat and thought about getting that but what is the right way to put on strings if i cant do that ten i thought a bout buying locking tuners for it

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 24 2007, 07:04 AM
cliford -
definitely go with the strat! it's gonna be a lot easier to string up for the first time than a floyd rose... and guys i'm not bashing a FR i have to say it's hard enough to string a guitar the first time but having to string a floyd rose the first time can be the most frustrating experience...

in other words don't go over your head with a new guitar... those 60th anniversary strats are a great deal and well made along with what fkalich was saying those fender type tremolos are tried and true...

good luck and make sure you play it before you buy it... if it doesn't feel right put it down and move onto the next one!!!

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 24 2007, 04:07 PM
Pick the one that you like playing the best. Don't let restringing it be a factor in your decision. After all, if you want to be a good guitarist you're gonna put in countless hours of practice, putting some effort into learning to string a particular guitar shouldn't be much of an issue.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 24 2007, 04:57 PM
I was gonna buy a floyd rose recently but i asked the guy man i go " What do you think about this floyd rose here ?" His response was " Floyd roses are a hell of a lotta fun to play, but there a bitch to string. Took me 2 hours to restring the whole thing."

Id go with a strat

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Feb 27 2007, 11:19 PM
Well i realized the strat only has 21 frets but i want to get one with at least 22 i want one with a fender type tremolo or a simmilar type i was wondering if any one knows a good one i will pay up to $300

--------------------

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Feb 28 2007, 05:15 AM
HELLO
I SEEN SOMEONE SAY A STRAT ONLY HAS 21 FRETS.NOT ALL HAVE JUST 21 . A LOT DO BUT THEY STILL MAKE 22 AND 24.AS FAR AS FLOYD OVER STANDARD BRIDGE IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER I WOULD DEFINATLY GO WITH A STANDARD BRIDGE.I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND JUST GOT A FLOYD ABOUT A YEAR AGO.YES THERE ARE BENIFITS BUT DAM IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO GET USED TO IT AND STRINGS ARE MORE COMPLICATED TO PUT ON AND IF YOULIKE TO DROP TUNNING LOW YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THE BRIDGE ,IT'S ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER.I GUESS YOU GET USED TO IT BUT I DONT RECOMMEND GOING THROUGH THAT PAIN STARTING OUT.PICKING A GUITAR DEPENDS ON A PRICE RANGE.A GREAT PLACE I THINK TO FIND A GUITAR AT A GOOD PRICE IS MUSICIANSFRIEND.COM.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
jete124
Feb 28 2007, 05:37 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Feb 27 2007, 11:15 PM) *
HELLO
I SEEN SOMEONE SAY A STRAT ONLY HAS 21 FRETS.NOT ALL HAVE JUST 21 . A LOT DO BUT THEY STILL MAKE 22 AND 24.AS FAR AS FLOYD OVER STANDARD BRIDGE IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER I WOULD DEFINATLY GO WITH A STANDARD BRIDGE.I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS AND JUST GOT A FLOYD ABOUT A YEAR AGO.YES THERE ARE BENIFITS BUT DAM IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO GET USED TO IT AND STRINGS ARE MORE COMPLICATED TO PUT ON AND IF YOULIKE TO DROP TUNNING LOW YOU HAVE TO ADJUST THE BRIDGE ,IT'S ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER.I GUESS YOU GET USED TO IT BUT I DONT RECOMMEND GOING THROUGH THAT PAIN STARTING OUT.PICKING A GUITAR DEPENDS ON A PRICE RANGE.A GREAT PLACE I THINK TO FIND A GUITAR AT A GOOD PRICE IS MUSICIANSFRIEND.COM.
BEST OF LUCK!!!!

You forgot to turn off caps lock, at least i hope that's the case because otherwise it makes it SEEM LIKE YOUR YELLING REALLLLLLLLLLY LOUD. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 28 2007, 06:21 AM
Well I agree. Play them first and get the one that feels the best to you. I have a Floyd Rose and it was very hard the first time. but I found this sight that helped me alot and now its not so bad to restring my guitar. I recommend this to anyone having problems with th FR.

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html[/url]

This post has been edited by chainsbroken: Feb 28 2007, 06:21 AM

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Feb 28 2007, 10:22 PM
well does any one know about a good guitar with a whammy bar and at least 22 frets for $300 or less

--------------------

+Quote Post
bricktop
Mar 3 2007, 02:18 AM
QUOTE (ClifordACDC @ Feb 28 2007, 10:22 PM) *
well does any one know about a good guitar with a whammy bar and at least 22 frets for $300 or less

How about looking into a fender squier? they're very inexpensive for starting out and most should have 22 frets. Or, you could look on ebay for a MIM(made in mexico) strat, which you could easily find one for 250.00, some will have only 21 frets though, but I wouldn't be too hung up on missing one fret unless all the songs you like play up that high...
I believe it's quite tricky to play in drop d and alternate tunings with floyd rose, I could be mistaken though...

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Mar 3 2007, 10:52 AM
What about an ibanez rg 170 dx ? it has a floating bridge, 24 strings 2 hmbuckers and a single coil. its 250 $ and it plays very fun (thin neck and low action). maybe try that one ?

EDIT: Personally I think that 24 frets ae better than 21 or 22 because it is SOOOOO much easier to play high notes. And if you want to play for example valley of etternity you'll need at least 22 frets.

This post has been edited by Stijntjen: Mar 3 2007, 10:55 AM

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Mar 3 2007, 05:01 PM
QUOTE (Stijntjen @ Mar 3 2007, 04:52 AM) *
What about an ibanez rg 170 dx ? it has a floating bridge, 24 strings 2 hmbuckers and a single coil. its 250 $ and it plays very fun (thin neck and low action). maybe try that one ?

EDIT: Personally I think that 24 frets ae better than 21 or 22 because it is SOOOOO much easier to play high notes. And if you want to play for example valley of etternity you'll need at least 22 frets.

i think ive seen that before i was thinking about it.; it was a ibanez but im not sure if it was the same one i cant remember its name

Yeah it is the same one i checked. but what is a floating bridge

This post has been edited by ClifordACDC: Mar 3 2007, 05:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Mar 4 2007, 11:12 AM
I don't know much about the technical things but a floating bridge lets you bend your notes downwards and also upwards. So you're not as limited as with a regular whammy.

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Mar 4 2007, 05:43 PM
Cool. i saw it at a guitar shop yesterday. i would have tryed it but it wasnt set up. the strings were right up against the fret board so i couldnt try it but if its fine next time i go ill try it and if i like it i might get it thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Mar 4 2007, 09:40 PM
Rock Instructor
i think you should check out b.c rich ones , they are killer guitars and they chipper then ibanez.

and i don't recommend ibanez below 600 $ they tremelo is not sufficient. also i would check a company name Hammer they make nice guitars with nice gear , only they don't have the name

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Mar 5 2007, 12:44 AM
i dont think the store i go to has eather brands un less i some how missed them

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 6 2007, 02:41 AM
I own the 60th Anniversarry Strat and its really fun to play. What I did with the bridge is that I kinda put it up a little high so I can push it back like a FR(offcourse its not as close to to it but pulling back the whammy bar is hella fun) it stays in tune quite well. Although if your thinkin bout playing metal then I suggest to get something other than that strat because its hard to get a deep sound with the Tex Mex p/u's that are on those 60th anni once.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 PM