Scale Question
besip
Jan 28 2008, 02:36 AM
GMC:er
i'm playning soon learn Minor scale..I'm prety konw the Pentatonic minor so that's why

usualy i'm learnig scale from this program
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...29&get2=Get

and i'm just wanna know if the mark Melodic minor Descending mean the right scale...actualy i'm thing yes..

but what interesing me why the scale are call Descending??

next beghiner question wink.gif tongue.gif
actualy i'm asking becouse there is 1 more melodic minor which is ascending and the scale is totaly diferent
i'm know what is ascending and descending and when i'm use all of this most of time i'm use the same scale

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 28 2008, 02:49 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jan 28 2008, 02:48 AM
This scale is the same as natural minor scale!
The ASCENDING version instead, is a Harmonic Minor scale with a raised 6th.

This was composer fuss...
They needed a scale with a natural 7th interval.... So they changed the natural minor scale and made harmonic minor scale. But harmonic minor was too cool and eastern sounding for them, so they raised the 6th interval too, and created the Melodic minor scale.

The descending melodic minor scale is the same as natural minor because you don't focus on the 7th when descending.

THIS post by ANDREW the mighty theory master will help you more than my hasty explanation I think!! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 28 2008, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (Freebird @ Jan 27 2008, 07:48 PM) *
This scale is the same as natural minor scale!
The ASCENDING version instead, is a Harmonic Minor scale with a raised 6th.

This was composer fuss...
They needed a scale with a natural 7th interval.... So they changed the natural minor scale and made harmonic minor scale. But harmonic minor was too cool and eastern sounding for them, so they raised the 6th interval too, and created the Melodic minor scale.

The descending melodic minor scale is the same as natural minor because you don't focus on the 7th when descending.

THIS post by ANDREW the mighty theory master will help you more than my hasty explanation I think!! wink.gif

If im not mistaken, the Harmonic Minor scale has a sharpened 7th not 6th. Meaning that instead of having 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 it is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 28 2008, 04:13 AM
too mutch theory for me laugh.gif

so i'm need to know now just this..if i'm be wana lear the Minor scale i'm will do good if i'm go to
Melodic minor Descending ..which is also if i'm understand natural minor scale! Right?? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jan 28 2008, 05:16 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jan 28 2008, 03:46 AM) *
If im not mistaken, the Harmonic Minor scale has a sharpened 7th not 6th. Meaning that instead of having 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 it is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7

Yes but I said Harmonic minor with sharp 6th not Natural Minor wink.gif

Anyway Besip, don't get tangled with Melodic minor and stuff.... Learn the Natural Minor scale which is the most useful of all of them. wink.gif

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 28 2008, 06:51 AM
QUOTE (Freebird @ Jan 27 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Yes but I said Harmonic minor with sharp 6th not Natural Minor wink.gif

Anyway Besip, don't get tangled with Melodic minor and stuff.... Learn the Natural Minor scale which is the most useful of all of them. wink.gif

yeaahh i'm gonna learn her just 1 again the Natural Minor scale has name on that program
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...29&get2=Get Melodic Minor{descending} rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 28 2008, 02:15 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Besip, yes that is the right scale - as Freebird says, stay away from harmonic minor until you have mastered a few other scales, Minor is a very important one so you are definitely doing the right thing smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 30 2008, 06:26 AM
don't kill me i'm back rolleyes.gif

so i'm check the andrew diagram
here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5496

and also the diagram on thet program http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...29&get2=Get

so if i'm got this right the Scale - Melodic Minor (Descending)
1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7

3-th pattern
Root note - G
shoot be the same like natural minor on andrew lesson

but when i'm check the program for example the 1 box on pattern 3 on that program has there 1 more semitone like andrew diagram why???

same box is ok some has 1 mote semitone or tone what ever{ i'm not check all of them} unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 30 2008, 06:28 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 30 2008, 06:55 AM
maybe i'm got it unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

G + 2 semitones = A
A + 1 semitones = Bb
Bb + 2 semitone = C
C + 3 semitones = D
D + 2 semitones = Eb
Eb + 2 semitones = F
F + 2 semitones = G
thats from andrew lesson

so the right key is--- 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7 ?????

but if thats like that i'm not gonna probbaly find on that program Pure natural minor??
and anyway thats still dont ger me slep why there is 1 more{tone-semitone} on sam box

dont kill me pls passion tongue.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 30 2008, 11:06 AM
Instructor
That is VERY good question about ascending and descending thing in melodic minor Rene!!! smile.gif
You know,when I was told about the same thing in Music High School i was like,ok,those are rules.
But later on I realized that melodic minor sounds quite odd(read cool)when descending same way as ascending.
So I simply "erased" that rule from my world of understanding that scale,a melodic minor.
Hopefully I won't end up on state court or something. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 30 2008, 12:50 PM
Instructor
rules are to be broken smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 30 2008, 11:06 AM) *
Hopefully I won't end up on state court or something. biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I know some people there wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 30 2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Rene,

I think you have discoverd that the melodic minor is different going up and coming down (the difference is that 7th note) - its really not that common a scale, and as we discussed earlier the descending version is exactly the same as the natural minor (another name for natural minor is Aeolian by the way - check that out in your program if Melodics is confusing to you!)

The difference is:

1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7 (for Melodic ascending)

1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 (for Melodic descending and Natural Minor)

For now I suggest you focus on the natural minor scale and learn that - but the good news is that it looks like you are really starting to figure these things out yourself - you are definitely learning some theory smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 30 2008, 05:20 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 30 2008, 08:02 AM) *
Hi Rene,

I think you have discoverd that the melodic minor is different going up and coming down (the difference is that 7th note) - its really not that common a scale, and as we discussed earlier the descending version is exactly the same as the natural minor (another name for natural minor is Aeolian by the way - check that out in your program if Melodics is confusing to you!)

The difference is:

1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7 (for Melodic ascending)

1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 (for Melodic descending and Natural Minor)

For now I suggest you focus on the natural minor scale and learn that - but the good news is that it looks like you are really starting to figure these things out yourself - you are definitely learning some theory smile.gif

I'm totaly understatd why ascending and descending is diferent rolleyes.gif
I'm was check aslo the Aeolian which is the same scale{like you says} like natural minor or Melodic descendig
also The aeolian like Melodic descending have over ther on Hi-E ..6 fret the semitone A#{i'm still talking about the G-minor first box} i'm was confused becouse you dont have there the note{seminote} on your diagram

actualy i'm know the seminote is part of the scale anyway..and the probbaly adding the note{seminote} to scale box for better result and conection when we playing...or maybe they don't do that and there is maybe aren't so big rules like i'm waiting for laugh.gif

so probbaly i'm not gonna thing about this..i'm will can seat and learn the scale from your diagram cool.gif
and if you try to explain me before sory if i'm dont get it biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 30 2008, 05:21 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 30 2008, 07:41 PM
hi there smile.gif

I don't have an A# ... but I do have a Bb, and they are the same note smile.gif

Its technically more correct to call it Bb so that we have one of each type of note in thescale, not 2 As:

G,A,A#,C,D,D#,F - wrong (2 As and 2 Ds)

G,A,Bb,C,D,Eb,F - right (one of each type of note!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 31 2008, 05:28 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 30 2008, 01:41 PM) *
hi there smile.gif

I don't have an A# ... but I do have a Bb, and they are the same note smile.gif

Its technically more correct to call it Bb so that we have one of each type of note in thescale, not 2 As:

G,A,A#,C,D,D#,F - wrong (2 As and 2 Ds)

G,A,Bb,C,D,Eb,F - right (one of each type of note!)

Hi andrew i'm got ypu rolleyes.gif so they are probbaly wrong i'm gonna belive you wink.gif and learn the scale here becouse they got everywhere A# but anyway the semitone will be pick ok from there

but what i'm still dont understand and what i'm talking about is about high E string where you have on diagram just 2 note which is probally right but they have there 2 tones and 1 semi-tones A# which is probbaly Bb
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_sc...29&get2=Get

but the semitone is anyway part of second box so the just put this there..probalyy the point is the program do not showiing boxes but patterns thats why

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 31 2008, 06:50 AM
Instructor
Don't be confused by 2 notes on the string,it's just mix of 2 boxes to make fingering maybe easier.
The whole deal is,scale has 7 different notes,locate them on every string on whole fretboard
and do whatever you want,connect them as you wish. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Freebird
Jan 31 2008, 04:06 PM
Yes I used to be confused by that too!
The cool thing is that you can create your own box! But the most confortable are the ones with mixed 3 note per string and some 2 note per string, because they are horizontal and don't need to move vertically, and the 3 note per string ones, although you must go up the string a bit.
As long as you play those notes that's the scale!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:19 AM