Which Metal Axe Should I Get
29a
Feb 17 2009, 09:51 PM
GMC:er
I want to get myself a metal guitar, but I'm just not sure which one. So I need your help guys!

What I want:
- A guitar for playing metal (mostly rhythm) (old heavy stuff (like judas priest, saxon), newer heavy stuff (like hammerfall), thrash and death)
- That's the only sound it really has to deliver
- Active pickups (EMG or Blackouts)
- Metal look
- Fixed bridge
- Comfortable playing while sitting
- Neck through or at least set neck

What I like:
- (Quilted) maple tops
- Arched tops
- String through body
- Strat like form (but Strats just don't look evil :/)
- Neck: definitely thinner than a gibson les paul, I love the neck of my Schecter C-1 classic and like the wizard neck of my Ibanez S470

What I'm not sure about:
- A 7 string, I'm not sure if I can handle it, and not sure if it fits my styles. I've never played anything tuned to B...

Budget:
- I'm really looking for something bellow 1000€ so I can get myself a schecter hollywood classic too
- Not bellow 500€, about 800€ would be right
- But the absolute maximum would be something like 2500€ (for which I could probably get a custom guitar)

Candidates:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (It just doesn't seem to look really evil)
- Schecter Avenger Hellraiser (That's already more pointy, I'm however not sure how balanced and comfortable it is)
- Schecter C-7 Hellraiser I'm not sure if I can handle and use 7 strings and it looks like the hellraiser
- Schecter Jeff Loomis looks boring, supposedly very heavy

Guitars I tried and didn't like:
- Jackson RR (I wasn't able the play on that one while sitting -.- Otherwise they seem to be awesome)
- Ibanez Xiphos (I was able to play better on this one but it didn't feel "right")

I hope that's enough information to give me some recommendations.

Jonas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by 29a: Feb 18 2009, 12:35 AM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 17 2009, 09:56 PM
Hi!

You have some really fixed preferences which is great and I'm sure someone will provide better options than what i can say about the subject. Schecters are great (I own a 7string Omen, string-thru setup) and you might consider them as primary options.

other than that you may check out this guitar (and that's the reason I'm posting here):

http://www.thomann.de/de/jackson_slsmgbk.htm

it's not on your list but suits all your needs. Btw this is the axe what Trond uses in his lessons (if I'm not mistaken). I never tried it, but the setup and the price is really great.

keep us updated about your choice cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 17 2009, 10:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
I would rather buy ONE GREAT guitar instead of two GOOD ones... If you shell out the money you would use to buy Schecter hollywood classic, you could buy a real pro instrument! Your choice though...

You might wanna add the Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX to your list, it's like a hellraiser, but with SD Blackouts and an Ebony Fretboard!!!

http://www.thomann.de/de/schecter_diamond_...ckjack_atxw.htm

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Feb 17 2009, 10:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 17 2009, 04:04 PM) *
I would rather buy ONE GREAT guitar instead of two GOOD ones... If you shell out the money you would use to buy Schecter hollywood classic, you could buy a real pro instrument! Your choice though...

You might wanna add the Schecter C1 Blackjack ATX to your list, it's like a hellraiser, but with SD Blackouts and an Ebony Fretboard!!!

http://www.thomann.de/de/schecter_diamond_...ckjack_atxw.htm

Agreed! Im done buying cheap guitars. Like my man Zakk said. Id rather have one awesome one than 2 decent ones.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 17 2009, 10:41 PM
As I said, the upper limit would be 2500€. But I didn't see or play any guitar over 1000€ which was considerably better than my Schecter C-1 Classic. I've once played a PRS Custom 24 which felt very good, as far as I can remember it even better than the C-1. Now the price of that thing was like 5000 swiss francs - or 3xxx€. Now the difference between the PRS and the C-1 Classic was small. And for me definitely not worth the 4000 francs extra. And honestly that PRS was not metal at all smile.gif. Then of course there are custom guitars. And I'm sure one day I'll either build myself one or buy one. BUT, for that I do need o know exactly what I like. And I just don't know it yet. But if you can point me out the a great guitar, that really feels much better than my schecter I'd be happy about it.

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 18 2009, 03:37 AM
Instructor
If you want a straight looking and high quality metal-guitar in that budget-range, then i can safely recommend the Jackson SLSMG. It's one of the best buys i've ever done.
The guitar feels and plays way over it's pricetag.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 18 2009, 09:16 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 18 2009, 03:37 AM) *
If you want a straight looking and high quality metal-guitar in that budget-range, then i can safely recommend the Jackson SLSMG. It's one of the best buys i've ever done.
The guitar feels and plays way over it's pricetag.
From the specs it looks good. Not very pretty or evil but good. But I'd need to try it out first. Other suggestions are still welcome of course.

Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yanzibar
Feb 18 2009, 10:04 AM
You could also take a look at an ESP LTD M-1000 model, they are around 1000€. Got active pickups and a very thin neck. Here's the link: http://espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html

--------------------
My gear
I play a Jay's sound strat like guitar
Line 6 spider III Amp with 30 Watts
New gear is coming ;)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2009, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Specs:
HORIZON NT-II $1,399.00

* Neck-Thru-Body
* 25.5” Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Quilted Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Ebony Fingerboard
* 42mm Bone Nut
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Chrome Hardware
* Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners
* Gotoh TOM Bridge
* Seymour Duncan JB (cool.gif /
‘59 (N) p.u.
* Finish: DBSB, STB

HORIZON FR-II 1,799.00

* Neck-Thru-Body
* 25.5” Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Quilted Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Ebony Fingerboard
* Locking Nut
* 42mm Neck Width
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Gotoh Tuners
* Floyd Rose Original Bridge
* EMG 81 (cool.gif / 85 (N) p.u.
* Finish: STR

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 19 2009, 12:00 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
Feb 19 2009, 12:11 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Attached Image
Attached Image

I have got a ltd mh-1000 in black with neck thru and fixed bridge white binding is very metal looking and has EMG pickups, carved top, also its string thru body and I have to say it plays brilliantly and records very well.

Don't know whether they make my version anymore but it ticks all the boxes.

Alex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skalde
Feb 19 2009, 12:12 AM
Learning Roadie

probably my next guitar, not sure if it fits your price range though... might be a little bit to cheap for you happy.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Feb 19 2009, 01:44 AM

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 19 2009, 01:05 PM
I came up with another idea, maybe I'll get a carvin "custom" guitar. They seem to be awesome guitars for the price.

- Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:50 PM