2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Song In Progress, Feedback would be very appreciated
Dinaga
May 27 2012, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi guys!

I haven't made a new song for a long time so right now I'm experimenting and trying to make something which would be a mix of neoclassical and modern metal approach. smile.gif Sounds weird but I haven't heard anything like this before so I wanted to give it a shot biggrin.gif

Here's the first version - what I made so far.

The middle section only contains orchestration and drums, I'll fill the middle section with some neoclassical-inspired lead guitar parts later, right now there's just one little solo in the beginning.
As you will probably notice, I took use of the multiple-guitar panning (maybe even overused it? biggrin.gif in one part there's four guitars there stacked biggrin.gif) in the last part, but also in the intro solo.
I'm also not sure about the drums right after the intro solo - it sounds a bit too flashy, maybe I'll put a simpler approach there... It is supposed to have fast guitar parts to serve as a transition to the double-kick theme (the middle part).
The song's far from complete, it will be longer - I'll continue composing after the heavy part...

What do you think? Please point out any flaws you encounter, I'm here to learn wink.gif
Any feedback would be highly appreciated, thanks a lot!

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dino-trnka-new-song

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 27 2012, 06:57 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
May 27 2012, 07:41 PM
Tone Seeker
I liked when the heavy part kicked in \m/

But I don't know what effect did you try to do in the beginning but to me it sounded like a mosquito happy.gif

But really liked this. Something different coming from GMC people wink.gif

-Ville-

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 27 2012, 07:53 PM
Instructor
Sounds good Dino !! I would just keep going with it and see how it progresses and let yourself be inspired. I liked all of it, including the drums and orchestrated section. For the heavy part, I think it is a bit overkill with all the guitar tracks.. if you do just 2 tracks panned L & R you'll probably prefer and it you stand a better chance of getting the riffs to sound tighter because there's less guitars. Also, chop off the excess bass frequencies too as they're very boomy when you get on the palm muting smile.gif Hi-pass filter should take care of that.

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 27 2012, 09:35 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Wow D-man, it is great! You are very talented. I can't wait to see how it progresses and turns into a whole piece but it definitely looks like it will be a very nice musical journey smile.gif

Keep it up man, you rock!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 27 2012, 09:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I liked when the heavy part kicked in \m/

But I don't know what effect did you try to do in the beginning but to me it sounded like a mosquito

But really liked this. Something different coming from GMC people

-Ville-

Thanks a lot!! smile.gif I am very glad you like it so far! biggrin.gif

Haha, I didn't use any particular effect at the beginning, just some delay, combined with two guitars/mosquitos alternating from the left and right speaker biggrin.gif But it was way too loud, now I reduced the volume of those slides and it sounds less like an animal (although it is still pretty wicked biggrin.gif )

Sounds good Dino !! I would just keep going with it and see how it progresses and let yourself be inspired. I liked all of it, including the drums and orchestrated section. For the heavy part, I think it is a bit overkill with all the guitar tracks.. if you do just 2 tracks panned L & R you'll probably prefer and it you stand a better chance of getting the riffs to sound tighter because there's less guitars. Also, chop off the excess bass frequencies too as they're very boomy when you get on the palm muting Hi-pass filter should take care of that.

Ben, thanks a lot! smile.gif I will continue with this, I already have some ideas so we'll see how it will turn up biggrin.gif
Your comment about cutting the bass is golden, my friend! I did what you said and now it sounds much tighter and chuga-chuga-ier! biggrin.gif Thanks a LOT my friend!

In fact, I'm so excited right now that I will post an mp3 so you can all hear the big difference made by hi-pass filter Ben advised me.
I am new in music production, but if someone else can learn with me, why not? Maybe it will help someone biggrin.gif

The first part is with excess bass (the first version which I posted in the song above), and the second part is with the filter. The difference is obvious smile.gif

Here it is:
http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/chuga-chuga

Wow D-man, it is great! You are very talented. I can't wait to see how it progresses and turns into a whole piece but it definitely looks like it will be a very nice musical journey

Keep it up man, you rock!

Mate, I'm really humbled with those words. smile.gif Thank you a lot for the support, it really means a lot to me smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 27 2012, 09:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
May 27 2012, 09:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
I really like it!

You should get an opera singer to join in biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 27 2012, 10:41 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I like the intro solo! Your note selection/scales are interesting and it sounds fresh. I was going to mention that the panning at the end was mixed loud but it sounds like you're on top off it. Its a cool idea but caught me off guard at first. smile.gif

I also like the chord change in the heavy part and the melody flows with it nicely. I look forward to hearing the progress with the song!

This post has been edited by DeGroot: May 27 2012, 10:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 28 2012, 03:28 PM
Instructor
D-man, this is great smile.gif everyone had great input, so what I'll add is, the beginning was great like that - I like strange sounding things biggrin.gif (not like Lil Wayne's solo though laugh.gif )

The whole piece sounds like someone has stolen something of value and that person is running - all his/ her thoughts are struggling and her breath is almost out!

What do you say, could this make a good story for the lyrics maybe? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2012, 04:59 PM
Instructor
I like the concept of this piece of music man. You are combing modern riffs with neoclassical vibes in a very original way. By now I don't have anything to comment excepting that the panned guitars at the beginning sound a bit too unnatural to me, it confuses a bit.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 28 2012, 08:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I really like it!

You should get an opera singer to join in

Thanks mate! HA! I wish biggrin.gif If only I could sing, it would have vocals! smile.gif

I like the intro solo! Your note selection/scales are interesting and it sounds fresh. I was going to mention that the panning at the end was mixed loud but it sounds like you're on top off it. Its a cool idea but caught me off guard at first.

I also like the chord change in the heavy part and the melody flows with it nicely. I look forward to hearing the progress with the song!

Thank you smile.gif I used the harmonic minor scale but put in one extra note which added a lot to the "exoticness", I guess. smile.gif I'm glad you like it mate smile.gif

D-man, this is great everyone had great input, so what I'll add is, the beginning was great like that - I like strange sounding things (not like Lil Wayne's solo though )

The whole piece sounds like someone has stolen something of value and that person is running - all his/ her thoughts are struggling and her breath is almost out!

What do you say, could this make a good story for the lyrics maybe?

Cosmin

Thanks mate! Your analysis is very interesting! Now when I think of it - it really can be interpreted that way! biggrin.gif And I'm also planning to create a "tension release" after the heavy part, which could symbolize obtaining that object of value back and happy ending. smile.gif

Last night I meddled with chord progressions and I managed to create a transition from D minor to D major - I don't remember the last time when I was so excited! biggrin.gif All in all, I'll keep experimenting and see what will come up with this biggrin.gif As for lyrics, I would love to, the only question is who would sing it, because I certainly wouldn't biggrin.gif

I like the concept of this piece of music man. You are combing modern riffs with neoclassical vibes in a very original way. By now I don't have anything to comment excepting that the panned guitars at the beginning sound a bit too unnatural to me, it confuses a bit.

Thanks Gabe! smile.gif I'm really honored to hear such nice words smile.gif The "mosquito" guitars on the end of the mini-solo are still under question, I don't know whether I'll leave them or add something else. The main reason is that it's impossible to play the whole thing with only one guitar. We'll see smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 28 2012, 08:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 30 2012, 12:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I created the second half of the song. smile.gif

I'm guessing the second half will sound a bit surprising to you because it's much different than the first half - I wanted to create the tension with the neoclassical theme and the heavy rhythm part and then create a tension-releasing relaxed part and a happy ending. smile.gif That's why I created a transition from the heavy part to a mixolydian soloing, continuing with some pentatonics and finally finishing with a D major riff.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all, so I'll let you decide biggrin.gif
Next step is adding solos over the neoclassical parts in the beginning.

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dino-trnka-new-song-v2

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 30 2012, 12:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 30 2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor
I love the second part - very cool ! You're right about the tension release thing, it does have that effect ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
May 30 2012, 04:56 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 30 2012, 02:22 AM) *
I created the second half of the song. smile.gif

I'm guessing the second half will sound a bit surprising to you because it's much different than the first half - I wanted to create the tension with the neoclassical theme and the heavy rhythm part and then create a tension-releasing relaxed part and a happy ending. smile.gif That's why I created a transition from the heavy part to a mixolydian soloing, continuing with some pentatonics and finally finishing with a D major riff.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all, so I'll let you decide biggrin.gif
Next step is adding solos over the neoclassical parts in the beginning.

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dino-trnka-new-song-v2

Yes I like that end soloing at 3:03 !!
And now that you dropped volume on the "mosquito" lick (at the beginning) it sounds better smile.gif

But that heavy part at 1:26 sounds to me very strange. The rhythm guitars sound hollow and thin...first that came to my mind that you have accidental left dry signal on ??
In the end rhythm sound is ok but could be better wink.gif Can I ask which program you use to make the sounds ?

Cheers !!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 30 2012, 06:25 PM
GMC:er
This is almost like Apocalyptica on guitar! laugh.gif

I enjoyed the track. I see where WeePee is claiming that its hollow and thin. I can tell you tossed on the HP filter. But my ears may be lying to me but you don't have a bass track do you? That could be a big reason why it doesn't have that nice added low to make it sound fuller possibly.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
FrontlineGuitar
May 30 2012, 06:30 PM
GMC:er
Hey there Dinaga!

I think whatever I would say has really been already said, so I'll just talk about the smaller points I just picked up, which don't really have an impact on the piece as a whole smile.gif Oh and I'm talking about the second part you posted!

Firstly, the only thing I could hear on the first orchestral section was that the drums I think were a bit loud.. other than that it sounded great!

Secondly, I don't think the heavy rhythm guitars sound 'thin', but just that they could quite easily be a lot better with a bit of tweaking..

So take a look at this video!

As you can see, this guy knows a lot about mixing, and very easily achieved a VERY good rhythm tone biggrin.gif

Now I don't know what kind of way you're recording guitar, but if I assume you're using a POD, then it's very easy to just get a low latency dry sound that you can then tweak later with VSTs etc like in the video I posted - Just set up a completely dry patch: No effects or anything smile.gif Or if you're using some form of the POD X3 then I think there's a feature where you can do that anyway smile.gif

Hope I helped! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 31 2012, 09:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey guys!!
Thanks a lot for your comments, it's really helpful - appreciate it greatly! smile.gif

@Ben: Glad it had that impact on you too! The purpose of that part has been served, and I'm really happy about it smile.gif

@SpaseMoonkey: About the heavy part, well there actually IS a bass track there biggrin.gif, but it is a lot quieter than the guitars though :I I'll experiment with the volume to see if it can sound better...

@WeePee: I'm using Cubase with Guitar Rig 4 as main plug in (that's where I do most of the stuff), and some other plugins (for example, EQ, filter, compressor etc.)

@FrontlineGuitar: Yes, the drums are pretty strong in the beginning compared to the synth but keep in mind guitars are yet to come over it smile.gif We'll see how it will turn up, maybe the guitars will balance the sound, if not it's volume down for the drums wink.gif
Also, thanks for that clip! I noticed that he maxed out the bass knob of the guitars, and in my track there's practically no bass at all in the rhythm guitar (because of the filter).

Also, his bass (the bass guitar) and drum tracks are a LOT better mastered than mine, and I think that adds a whole lot to the overall sound! Will play with everything more to find out the magic formula biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 31 2012, 09:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 31 2012, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Mate, I like where this is going, but for the riffage, I think it's time you experimented with lower tuning biggrin.gif what do you think?

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 31 2012, 10:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 31 2012, 09:09 PM) *
Mate, I like where this is going, but for the riffage, I think it's time you experimented with lower tuning biggrin.gif what do you think?

Hehe, indeed it is! Time to explore some more of C-Master's territory smile.gif I started appreciating ultra heavy riffage when I first heard Bruce Dickinson's song "Book of Thel", which has some of the best dropped riffing ever!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jun 1 2012, 09:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sorry to get in on this so late, but I really dig where it's heading! Keep going!! Can't wait to hear where it goes....

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2012, 09:13 PM
Instructor
Hmmmm, I'll look it up and see what's going on in there wink.gif in the mean time, I'd love to hear some fancy drop tuned work from you man!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:02 PM