> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Malmsteen Made Easy, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Tadas
Nov 22 2020, 11:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Malmsteen Made Easy by Ben Higgins

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 23 2020, 10:04 AM
GMC Founder
Hi Tadas and welcome to GMC!

Your video made my day - you have got such a lovely tone and we can see how serious you are about your playing 😁

I would like to encourage you to think about the efficiency of your right hand movement - especially when you are practicing at slower tempos, as this is your golden opportunity.

When watching you sweep pick here, I got the impression your were not doing one single stroke motion for for all the swept strings. This is a necessity in order for your technique to convert to the higher speeds. So to clarify, it kinda looked like you were doing some standard picking motions when sweeping.

You could also - again, for practicing purposes - try using a smaller picking movement in general when you are alternate picking. This will help you prepare for higher speeds. Please note that the larger motions you are doing in this video, are much more beneficial for great tone. So my advise here is intended to broaden your horizons, not for you to change course.

Again you are doing really good here, keep at it - can't wait to follow your progress! You get a 9 from me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2020, 01:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Tadas!!

This is a great take friend! You have many strong points here. I personally like a lot how Malmsteen licks sound on Les Paul guitars so your video has been very enjoyable!

Regarding your playing, it's great to see you putting all that emphasis on your vibrato technique. It sounds very consistent! Keep going in this direction.

I agree with Kris about your Sweep Picking motion. This is clearer when you play the licks at 00:51. And I also think that your right hand movements can be smaller when you play Alternate Picking. This details are not dramatic at this tempo but it will affect your performance when trying to play faster stuff in this style.

Finally, It seems that your left hand is not relaxed when pressing the frets. This is normal when playing new stuff, but I recommend you to focus a bit on relaxing this hand and avoiding doing too much strength when pressing the frets.

So to summarize, the key is to economize movements and strength.

This is very promising, keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2020, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
First off WELCOME TO GMC!! You clearly have been putting some time in on the Guitar!! I run the SHRED BOOTCAMP here at GMC, so if you want to try it just send me a Personal Message. I think you are more than ready. It's 400 Missions about learning to play crazy things. Starts easy, gets crazy.

As for this REC, SUPER CONGRATS on learning the entire piece. SUPER CONGRATS on your performance! It was emotive and fun to watch. That's a bit key thing for me. Does the performance make people want to watch it? Yes!!

Technically your doing well on this. It's a very technical bit of music. Lots of pedal points and arpeggios. I did notice that your picking hand is wagging a bit farther than it needs to. When alternate picking, during medium/faster tempo bits, it's a good idea to use a minimum of "pick wag" e.g. how far the pick moves away from the string. Keeping the pick closer to the string after each strike makes it easier to recover for the next strike. It's a small thing, but can help a lot.

Also your sweeping is good here, but almost like a picked chord rather than a sweep. Try to use a "pick rake" motion during sweep bits. This is just dragging the pick along the string in a single motion. Rather than picking each string.

I did notice that your vibrato is quite good. Starts small, swells up, then returns to normal. Good vibrato is critical for musical expression. Yours is quite good.

Overall I'd say you KRUSHED it.
Nice!!

Todd

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 1 2020, 06:08 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Really nice take with good tone match. For the future try to remember that slow tempo is for you to learn some healthy hand behavior/picking direction habits. You may not be able to spot any problem in such a slow tempo but in a faster one it would definitely appear. Your main issue in this take is a random picking direction. In original take Ben has very consistent and straight-forward picking direction assignment. For example all the beginning, diminished arpeggio has alwas an accent on a strong beat and this accent is always on the downtroke. You've messed the picking direction in this part, having reversed picking at some points.

Same thing with the neoclassical "one string fugue" lick - you pick in opposite direction. Down and up strokes have their specific feel to it and makes you relate differently to the main beat/groove.

In the part that starts at 0:22 what you do is not a sweep picking. You pick is jumping instead of "slipping" from one string to another. It does not work this way in faster tempo.

In playing developement there are no shortcuts. Learning just the draft doesn't teach you much. Try to rethink things - lessons liek this are made slow so you could copy the exact mechanics of hands and have enough time to focus on them while playing. You did pass on this part , performing the takes that is beginning to actual work and profit of this lesson. It is a common mistake and underratement of details in lessons. Every details has a reason...please always respect them and you go far with your playing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 10 2021, 04:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:08 PM