Improvising On The Correct Genre...
ChordMaster345
Apr 15 2011, 10:41 AM
GMC:er
My teacher said I should find more ways of improvising. When I improvise I just use the pentatonic and blues scale ( sometimes the natural major and minor scales). When I do solos I mostly mess up the song and end up embarrassing myself. I need to get use to other genres like pop, country and others. Are there any scales I should learn or anything I should do before or during a solo.
Thanks biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 15 2011, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ChordMaster345 @ Apr 15 2011, 11:41 AM) *
My teacher said I should find more ways of improvising. When I improvise I just use the pentatonic and blues scale ( sometimes the natural major and minor scales). When I do solos I mostly mess up the song and end up embarrassing myself. I need to get use to other genres like pop, country and others. Are there any scales I should learn or anything I should do before or during a solo.
Thanks biggrin.gif

Usually a good way to break that pentatonic routine is to study a little some new scales like Harmonic and Melodic Minor, Modes (check Andrew's lessons here and arpeggios.
We have many lessons on modes, just use the search engine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 16 2011, 05:43 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! smile.gif

If you want, you can apply for private lessons from me. For just a small value per month, you get weekly Skype sessions, and improvising course. Pop, country and other styles will be the focus for you.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
stratman79
Apr 17 2011, 05:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
you need to make sure you can use the pentatonic correctly before moving on...

If you're messing it up it's prob because you're trying to do things to complicated... or atleast on the edge of your standard and in a pressure situation you're not pulling it off (even standing up and playing can change things)...

It's much better to play things simple and effective and people who are watching will be much more impressed than if you play a so that is 80% technically great and 20% mistakes...

You're best off learning the notes and making sure you're hitting chord tones as they pass... this will make your solos sound a lot more melodic...

Major Pentatonic is the same shape as the minor just your root note is in a different place (obviously this effects the other intervals but the shapes are the same and if you know the notes then again you can still hit the chord tones)

Playing tastfully with pentatonics and playing THROUGH changes sounds much better than mindlessly blasting over the top with modes or harmonic/melodic minors...

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 17 2011, 06:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Apr 17 2011, 06:11 PM) *
you need to make sure you can use the pentatonic correctly before moving on...

If you're messing it up it's prob because you're trying to do things to complicated... or atleast on the edge of your standard and in a pressure situation you're not pulling it off (even standing up and playing can change things)...

It's much better to play things simple and effective and people who are watching will be much more impressed than if you play a so that is 80% technically great and 20% mistakes...

You're best off learning the notes and making sure you're hitting chord tones as they pass... this will make your solos sound a lot more melodic...

Major Pentatonic is the same shape as the minor just your root note is in a different place (obviously this effects the other intervals but the shapes are the same and if you know the notes then again you can still hit the chord tones)

Playing tastfully with pentatonics and playing THROUGH changes sounds much better than mindlessly blasting over the top with modes or harmonic/melodic minors...

This is a good point. As a matter of fact there are many guitar legends who played mostly pentatonic stuff for their whole career. The main problem with that pentatonic sound is that it lacks of half-steps. If you want to go ahead, a good understanding of the major scale, as example, gives instead a better knowledge of the guitar neck. Other scales and modes are easily related to this scale so it's well worth to spend some time on this topic.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:23 PM