2 Pages V   1 2 >  
World's Worst Composition
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2011, 10:34 AM
Instructor
Guys, I was talking to my girl last nite and she told me an interesting story about some researchers who did a funny experiment. They tried to come up with the world's worst song.

Listen to it in the link below (if you don't have the patience to look at the whole film, it starts at about 07:38) smile.gif what do you think?

What makes a good song in your opinion? Is it the direction, the chorus, repetitive ideas? I would be curious to find out what you guys think on this matter biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 14 2011, 10:46 AM
Instructor
Haha, well it didn't sound that horrible, I mean I've listened to a lot worse music that was made to sound great. Not sure what stands for good music really, something that drives me I guess, the truth in some music, and the groove.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 14 2011, 05:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I agree that's it's not really that ugly. I've heard worse. But the math stuff went way over my head. I didn't get that. Math is my weakness, so I'm not surprised. Interesting subject though. If the melody is catchy then I enjoy it. I usually like to listen to things with a melody. Hence, why I don't favor death metal with only screaming - or no melody in the background. Demon Hunter has some metal songs where they contrast chaos in the verse with a beautiful melody in the chorus. Their song "Not Ready To Die" is a perfect example. There are some styles of music I don't like, but I think music is simply an arrangement of organized ideas...meaning...beating on trash can lids as STOMP does is called music. biggrin.gif Long spill I know, but what makes a good song are ideas that catch a listener's ear. I say this because people like all kinds of music: classical, acoustic, easy listening, gospel, metal, rock, jazz, country, blues, rap, hip hop, etc. etc.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 14 2011, 06:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
I just wonder who paid for this colossal waste of time( I hope not my taxpayer dollar),especially when I heard many repetitive patterns ( they might not have been the same notes but there were several repeating patterns as at 8 19 and a similar at 8 33
These dufuses( I don't know if this is how you spell it, I might be the dufus ) might of tried to make something beautiful at the same-time, would have been a better goal

And I still can't stand the arrogance of the people that did this as if to be patting them selves on the back mad.gif

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Dec 14 2011, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 14 2011, 07:10 PM
Instructor
Damn, it sounds just like a song I was writing ! mad.gif

I guess I'll have to scrap that idea then... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2011, 07:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 14 2011, 03:10 PM) *

hahahaha laugh.gif don't worry! the song isn't so bad!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 14 2011, 10:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 14 2011, 07:10 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 14 2011, 10:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 14 2011, 09:47 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yes, I was going to ask you if you wanted to do a collaboration on it !!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 14 2011, 11:01 PM
Instructor
Nothing easier man, anytime,I love such creative progressions!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 14 2011, 11:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 14 2011, 10:01 PM) *
Nothing easier man, anytime,I love such creative progressions!!! biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's definitely.... errr........ different ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 14 2011, 11:23 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Repetition is always something that can bring in interesting ideas, and is indeed almost a necessity of sorts for linking ideas and creating a sense of flow. But I wouldn't say beautiful. There is actually something about this "ugly" music I find very intriguing, almost alluring - which is pretty close to beauty I suppose. Repetition does not create beauty, it is something that is merely a tool through which beauty is most easily recognized.

I love odd music, I love music that forces you to focus and think, and a lot of it too me was never immediately beautiful, instead I thought it was quite repulsive for many years. Eventually though, the subtleties began to show and the ugliness itself is what I found attractive about the music, if that makes any sense.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 15 2011, 01:23 AM
Instructor
how about this:

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2011, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
I've heard worse smile.gif It's a like "Math Baroque" almost. Clinical but oddly captivating. I'd like to hear it as DJENT! IT's a really interesting video, good share!

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, good music is hard to define but easy to spot typically. Really good composition grabs us and forces us to move along, tap our foot, bang our head etc. If you find yourself moving involuntarily to music, it's got you!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 14 2011, 04:34 AM) *
Guys, I was talking to my girl last nite and she told me an interesting story about some researchers who did a funny experiment. They tried to come up with the world's worst song.

Listen to it in the link below (if you don't have the patience to look at the whole film, it starts at about 07:38) smile.gif what do you think?

What makes a good song in your opinion? Is it the direction, the chorus, repetitive ideas? I would be curious to find out what you guys think on this matter biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 15 2011, 04:27 AM
Instructor
It actually sounded like some modern classical pieces I've heard. It wasn't necessarily that bad. Some of it was a bit interesting. There wasn't really a discernable melody or identifiable rhythmic phrases so maybe that's why they thought it was bad.

I think the best song is one that is simple and has a distinct melody and a rhythm that moves you. Its really not that complicated for me.

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Dec 15 2011, 05:09 AM
what about doing a collab in which the winner will be the one that creates the worst composition!??? that would be really interesting in my opinon!!

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 15 2011, 08:26 AM
Instructor
biggrin.gif it seems we are able to find beauty in everything, which is a very good thing mates! Now, when I first listened to Tool, somewhere in 2003 I was scared like hell because of that music. Not only did I find it unnatural and scary but it made me dream of a twisted ugly little man dancing around my bed. I stayed away from tool until 2008 when my good friend and bandmate in Aria, introduced me to their music in a proper way. I became a fan smile.gif so I guess it's just a matter of being able to surpass the shock moment and give things a thorough listen - you never know what's what until you internalize it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 15 2011, 02:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 15 2011, 01:26 AM) *
biggrin.gif it seems we are able to find beauty in everything, which is a very good thing mates! Now, when I first listened to Tool, somewhere in 2003 I was scared like hell because of that music. Not only did I find it unnatural and scary but it made me dream of a twisted ugly little man dancing around my bed. I stayed away from tool until 2008 when my good friend and bandmate in Aria, introduced me to their music in a proper way. I became a fan smile.gif so I guess it's just a matter of being able to surpass the shock moment and give things a thorough listen - you never know what's what until you internalize it biggrin.gif

laugh.gif I had this image of this guy running around your bed and you tucked away in your covers screaming, "AAHHHH! NO METAL MUSIC!! IT'S TERRIBLE! HORRIBLE!!"

+Quote Post
Frederik
Dec 15 2011, 03:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
i would like to hear some harmony too, as this is only a melody line

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2011, 04:23 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure why he didn't play any chords, now that can sound terrible, if dissonant wink.gif Single notes are pretty much OK smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 15 2011, 08:41 PM
That was utter terrible!

So for the world's best music all we need to do is keep it a simple pattern, understandable for all ages, and repeat over and over. By crikey, I've got it! Oh baby, baby, baby! Oh baby, baby, baby! Ohh... What you mean it's already been done? Well then, have to step it up to the next level! Gaga goo goo ga-ga! Gag goo goo ga-ga! Done? How about 45mins of easy listening, lawn mowing! 12mins of hardcore baby crying (only 12 due to silly child welfare coming)? Oh you must be joking, they have all been done too? Well mankind has already achieved all greatness...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:25 PM