Same Tone - Different Day?
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 5 2012, 05:03 PM
Instructor
biggrin.gif Well, I just happened to remember a very peculiar phenomena which I have encountered during the years smile.gif Imagine that you rehearse something and you leave your tone just as it is in the same room, with the same guitar. The basic idea is that everything stays unchanged. The next day, you pick it up and suddenly, it doesn't sound the same anymore.

At first it felt a bit awkward, but then I have realized that it's all in the way we perceive the sound - some days we are more tired and other days we are very energized and had a good rest, so I guess it all goes down to that - does it? smile.gif

Have you guys ever experienced such a feeling? What did you do to get back in shape and feel as comfy as the previous day?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2012, 05:27 PM
Instructor
yes, I suffer this all the time!! but I blame to my amp and tubes! tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Yes I do notice this too.. some days the tone is just right but other days it feel more 'dead'. I think it has a lot to do with our mindset and how much emotional content we put through our fingers smile.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Nov 5 2012, 08:22 PM
GMC:er
I'm glad you said that. I always thought it was my imagination. I'll play something that I think sounds good, and the next day I just flip the switch on everything with all settings untouched and I completely hate what I was playing the day before. Odd how that happens.

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Bossie
Nov 6 2012, 03:23 AM
same here ....tweaking my amp/EQ and finding a great rythm sound.Then you think to yourself you got a great sound ..
Till the next day it really wasn't so great at all... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2012, 03:49 AM
Yup! It's why I quit using TUBE AMPS!! smile.gif Tube Amps are WONDERFUL but they are living/breathing/changing beast and can actually sound different on any given day. Meaning requiring different settings to get the same tone resulting in

"Endless Tone Chasing" ARrghghghghgh!!!!

One of the reasons I got so in to guitar modeling/software is that once I find a sound I love, it's always there at the push of a button. But I still get misty when I see a MESA on full rip.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 5 2012, 11:03 AM) *
biggrin.gif Well, I just happened to remember a very peculiar phenomena which I have encountered during the years smile.gif Imagine that you rehearse something and you leave your tone just as it is in the same room, with the same guitar. The basic idea is that everything stays unchanged. The next day, you pick it up and suddenly, it doesn't sound the same anymore.

At first it felt a bit awkward, but then I have realized that it's all in the way we perceive the sound - some days we are more tired and other days we are very energized and had a good rest, so I guess it all goes down to that - does it? smile.gif

Have you guys ever experienced such a feeling? What did you do to get back in shape and feel as comfy as the previous day?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2012, 09:28 AM
Instructor
Well, in my opinion I think it's pretty easy to get a good tone out of a good tube amp, rather than endlessly tweaking parameters on a digital one, so even if I know that I'll be encountering this problem a lot of times from now on laugh.gif I still stick to tube amps tongue.gif

But man... there are some days when you wonder if you can really play the guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 6 2012, 09:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
But man... there are some days when you wonder if you can really play the guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif
[/quote]

hahaha this happens to me everyday mad.gif

but yes i agree there are moments every thing goes just easy on fretboard

but then the other day same idea -- horrible .

For me a good help when i go out for a walk into nature to get some inspiration and calmness .

My daughter is a teenager and i have to walk a lot cool.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 6 2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, it's a crazy thing.

I have only one BAD tube in my amp and it acts the same laugh.gif

Maybe it's about latency in power consumption or such things, anyway i blame all on her!! cool.gif

Anyway i still like real amps a lot,and it would be boring if everything would just remain the same every day...

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Nov 6 2012, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2012, 01:58 PM
I hear ya smile.gif I still love the sound of a fine Tube Amp. But as a tweaker, and techy guy, I"m really comfy with creating presets, working with plugins etc. I have a great fondness and appreciation of the tradition and quality of great tube Amps like the Mesa and Engle, I just don't have the budget for purchase or patience for sound drift it would take to justify owning one.

I recently bought a line 6 Vetta Head, which is basically a modeller stuffed in a head and I've been loving that. But I doubt it would make a purist very happy at all. But to each his own!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2012, 03:28 AM) *
Well, in my opinion I think it's pretty easy to get a good tone out of a good tube amp, rather than endlessly tweaking parameters on a digital one, so even if I know that I'll be encountering this problem a lot of times from now on laugh.gif I still stick to tube amps tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Nov 6 2012, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Yeees - the same thing with me.
We were discussing this problem with one of my students, he said, that this happens because of unstable power and he solved it by buying voltage rectifier..
I don't have one, but who knows..))

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 6 2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Interesting Max! Very interesting biggrin.gif

Todd - indeed, to each his own biggrin.gif I feel beaten down when having to endlessly tweak something just to get something good out of it and it feels like the whole joy of playing is taken away somehow.. well that's what happens for me..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2012, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Because I don't have my big amp at home, each time I get to the rehearsal room it feels a bit awkward until I 'bond' with the tone again, but after 1 song, maybe 2, everything falls into place.

Anyway, I plan on buying this little Line6 gimmick for home - the Guitar Port that is, as I am very satisfied with the tones it can produce - I posted those patches some months ago, if you guys want to try them biggrin.gif I guess it is a bit more aggressive than the AMT and I would like to experiment with it a bit and see what I can get. BUT JUST FOR HOME tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bossie
Nov 8 2012, 01:20 AM
Guess that's why you find a power conditioner in lot's of racks ...they work as voltage regulators but that's all i know about it mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Nov 8 2012, 02:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
i notice this more if I play maybe too long in a confined area with it too loud...(if it can be)...I think the sensors in the ear lean over and deaden a little...after some rest they pop back up.

Can be frustrating.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 8 2012, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Man it happens to me all the time! It is so weird! I have the same tone set on my pedalboard and the amp and it sounds different sometimes! I think it has to do with your inner feeling? Cause your mood is changing same as the feel of the tone! I just got use to it! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 8 2012, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Nov 8 2012, 01:23 AM) *
i notice this more if I play maybe too long in a confined area with it too loud...(if it can be)...I think the sensors in the ear lean over and deaden a little...after some rest they pop back up.

Can be frustrating.

Oh man... after rehearsing with Voodoo, I literally need some time to recover even with ear plugs on - my drummer is an animal and his cymbals are usually contributing a lot!

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Nov 12 2012, 11:55 AM
yup. I hate that. I usually end up re-tweaking the knobs. its seems for me, finding 'the tone' has been an eternal struggle. and being that I play 6-string bass doesn't help - trying to get the B so its not too muddy and the C so its not to crispy. my latest attempt (which i think may have worked) was to buy a really good set of strings. I used to just use whatever I happened to find, but recently I got a set of Fedora strings (my wallet said ouch) which seem very stable in sound and feel across all 6 strings

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 14 2012, 12:54 AM
Well, you can save all the presets you make in OVERLOUD for example, so with ZERO tweaking, you can call up a tone you love smile.gif Which is just awesome. My VETTA let's you do this as well which is very handy. The MESA TRIAXIS preamp will do this as well. But a standard head, not to much. Your back to twisting knobs to make it happy on any given day. For me the lack of recall on standard amps in all but crazy these days. But hey, it's a big world with enough option/gear for everyone!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 6 2012, 08:33 AM) *
Interesting Max! Very interesting biggrin.gif

Todd - indeed, to each his own biggrin.gif I feel beaten down when having to endlessly tweak something just to get something good out of it and it feels like the whole joy of playing is taken away somehow.. well that's what happens for me..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 14 2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2012, 11:54 PM) *
Well, you can save all the presets you make in OVERLOUD for example, so with ZERO tweaking, you can call up a tone you love smile.gif Which is just awesome. My VETTA let's you do this as well which is very handy. The MESA TRIAXIS preamp will do this as well. But a standard head, not to much. Your back to twisting knobs to make it happy on any given day. For me the lack of recall on standard amps in all but crazy these days. But hey, it's a big world with enough option/gear for everyone!

Todd

True indeed Todd, but biggrin.gif BUT biggrin.gif You only turn 3-4 knobs so it's still good tongue.gif

I know I'm a little paranoid and actually a bit scared of technologically advanced things just because of the sheer amount of time that i need to invest in making them work..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:25 AM