3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Lixxx Guitar Mentoring
Lixxx
Jun 18 2012, 12:19 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 4 2012, 04:57 AM) *
I have a new melodic assignment ready for you! Please let me know and I will post it asap!

Rdy if u are xP

I rly got some good things comming up. Starting nxt month I can FINALLY buy my recording device so I will join lots of collabs.
Hip Hop Project turned out good and even got me some money ( which is kinda nice). I also have been asked to play with another artist where I am involved in writing the music for his Songs.
Furthermore I got together a Thrash/Speed Metal band that will truly work out my wrists and coordination.
And I will join an 80s Rock Band later this year.

So as you can see I am quite content to finally have stuff to do instead of sitting in my room playing allday ( I love it .. but its nothing compared to playing in a band and actually writting stuff not jst for yourself)

So I would rly appreciate if you could help me get into the Modes and composing and all that since I rly want to broaden my horizon not only as a soloist after all thats usually a small fragment of a song and without a good backing the solo will mostly be to steril I think.

Cheers Jan

PS: I rly like your lessons in the style of your Funk Rhythms and Blues Tournarounds . That rly helps to get all the Standards and Non-Standards together. Hope there some of them coming^^

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 19 2012, 08:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jun 18 2012, 11:19 AM) *
Rdy if u are xP

I rly got some good things comming up. Starting nxt month I can FINALLY buy my recording device so I will join lots of collabs.
Hip Hop Project turned out good and even got me some money ( which is kinda nice). I also have been asked to play with another artist where I am involved in writing the music for his Songs.
Furthermore I got together a Thrash/Speed Metal band that will truly work out my wrists and coordination.
And I will join an 80s Rock Band later this year.

So as you can see I am quite content to finally have stuff to do instead of sitting in my room playing allday ( I love it .. but its nothing compared to playing in a band and actually writting stuff not jst for yourself)

So I would rly appreciate if you could help me get into the Modes and composing and all that since I rly want to broaden my horizon not only as a soloist after all thats usually a small fragment of a song and without a good backing the solo will mostly be to steril I think.

Cheers Jan

PS: I rly like your lessons in the style of your Funk Rhythms and Blues Tournarounds . That rly helps to get all the Standards and Non-Standards together. Hope there some of them coming^^

Awesome! I am glad you are getting gigs! Very happy for you!
Let's get into modes! right away! smile.gif
The easiest key to learn all the modes is G major the reason it is covering the whole neck and all the patterns are very easy to remember!
Here is a G major scale:
G - A - B - C - D - E - F#
It has 7 modes for each note of the scale!
Aeolian - Dorian - Phrygian - Lydian - Myxolydian - Ionian - Locrian
First this you have to understand that the notes will stay the same and nothing will change except of the starting note! Unless you will change the key!

So to start I would like you to learn one mode G locrian

Learn it well up and down so you don't have to think about the notes when you are playing it!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!
Also let me know as soon as you are ready for a new assignment and I will post it right away!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jun 20 2012, 10:10 AM
Alright ^^

I can actually play all the 3 note per string patterns and I know the mode names for the major scale. What I dont know is... when someone says for example "Steve Vai plays lydian heres a lydian lick he plays" because I always thought that its still for instance G-major until you put it in context to a Chord-progression. I dont understand how you would make such a progression or how you would identify a lets say lydian lick. Of course playing the g major scale over a c major chord can be done but I dont belive that that is the whole trick. So If you could give me an example of a F# locrian progression or lick ( since we are doing g major now ^^ ) that would rly help me out.

I also have brief knowledge about colored tones ( like the b5 in locrian or b2/9 in phrygian ).

I feel like I have the resources, but I dont know how to use them yet.

Cheers Jan

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jun 20 2012, 11:23 AM
ok heres what Im doing with the locrian.

I created a little pattern ( I need to come up with the descending part still) and I will do this for all the 7 mode patterns once we coverd them all. Each new mode I will add to it and then connect 2 or more strings horizontally to get the full experience.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  G_major_3ns_practice_.gpx ( 14.69K ) Number of downloads: 105

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 21 2012, 06:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jun 20 2012, 09:10 AM) *
Alright ^^

I can actually play all the 3 note per string patterns and I know the mode names for the major scale. What I dont know is... when someone says for example "Steve Vai plays lydian heres a lydian lick he plays" because I always thought that its still for instance G-major until you put it in context to a Chord-progression. I dont understand how you would make such a progression or how you would identify a lets say lydian lick. Of course playing the g major scale over a c major chord can be done but I dont belive that that is the whole trick. So If you could give me an example of a F# locrian progression or lick ( since we are doing g major now ^^ ) that would rly help me out.

I also have brief knowledge about colored tones ( like the b5 in locrian or b2/9 in phrygian ).

I feel like I have the resources, but I dont know how to use them yet.

Cheers Jan

It's easy to identify it's all depends from what note it starts!
If your lick will start from C and we are in G major you will get Lydian lick! Simple as that!
If you will harmonize the scale you will get this:
G maj7 - Ami7 - Bmi7 - Cmaj7 - D7 - Emi7 - F#half diminished
Same thing depends from what chord you will start you will get different sound!
This for example
F# mi7b5 - Emi7 - Bmi7
Will be a locrian chord progression!
I hope that makes sense!

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jun 21 2012, 08:31 AM
Ahhh ok that rly is simple ^^

Did you pick the E an B because of how their notes move in the gmajor scale ( hope thats understandable ^^ )

Ok I will go practice now and once I can I will make some recordings so you can check if I rly got it

Cheers

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 22 2012, 07:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jun 21 2012, 07:31 AM) *
Ahhh ok that rly is simple ^^

Did you pick the E an B because of how their notes move in the gmajor scale ( hope thats understandable ^^ )

Ok I will go practice now and once I can I will make some recordings so you can check if I rly got it

Cheers

Yes! I picked E and B because of G major scale!
You don't have to do recording just yet! For now just let me know when you are ready for the next mode!

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jun 22 2012, 10:03 PM
ok

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 24 2012, 07:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jun 22 2012, 09:03 PM) *
ok

So that means you are ready? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 14 2012, 05:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jun 22 2012, 09:03 PM) *
ok

Hello! I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing???

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jul 14 2012, 09:05 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 14 2012, 04:56 PM) *
Hello! I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing???

It really is comming together nicely.

Ok I will give you a quick update on my schedule/practice

1. Warm-up is covered though I focus on trills (h-on p-off ) because my left Hand really gets tired especially between my ring and pinky finger. Synchro has become a part of warm-up since it really buggers me ALOT. I think I m over reacting but somedays I have to stop playing for an hour to not get too mad XP

2. Next part of my training consists of ear training and Fretboard Knowledge. Im currently learning to hear and play major 2nd, major 3rd, perfect fourth and fifth, major 6th major 7th, octave and unison intervalls, relative to a certain key ( Starting with A then B, C, D etc.) I play the shapes and memorize the sound by different music pieces for example,
The minor 2nd ascending is the "Jaws theme" descending is "Für Elise" the fifth is starwars and so on to help me hear them better.

3. Im practicing the scales and try to really focus on getting my hands together especially in the locrian mode where I found the descend from g-string to b-string especially difficult.

3. I play some classical pieces and transcribe them to guitar pro file mostly from sheet music, to train my side-reading.
Also I love the challenging nature of these pieces.

I currently play the 1st Violin Sonata in G-minor ( I think Bach...) So far I have this.

Attached File  Violinensonate_Nr1_G_Moll.gpx ( 18.31K ) Number of downloads: 142

I have done some Paganini and some Bach and Chopin but I tend to do too much at once so I focus on the above as it has apart from Tapping all the major techniques.

Well hope Im not missing too much I really dont get to go to gmc that offen since Im pretty busy playing ^^

I have covered the remaining modes in Major so Im ready to go to the next tonality. Perhaps Harmonic or melodic minor which ever you think should come first.

Cheers Jan

PS: Since I had to pay the rent and some water and heating bills I still dont have my recording device ( AAAAARGHHH)
but it wont be too long now. I managed to get my Blues Junior Amp back ( well at least I found out where the person lives that has it) and will sell that and my old guitar that should do the trick. then you can FINALLY hear if my work has paid off. Thx for not giving up on me and sorry for making myself so rare in here^^

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 16 2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jul 14 2012, 08:05 PM) *
It really is comming together nicely.

Ok I will give you a quick update on my schedule/practice

1. Warm-up is covered though I focus on trills (h-on p-off ) because my left Hand really gets tired especially between my ring and pinky finger. Synchro has become a part of warm-up since it really buggers me ALOT. I think I m over reacting but somedays I have to stop playing for an hour to not get too mad XP

2. Next part of my training consists of ear training and Fretboard Knowledge. Im currently learning to hear and play major 2nd, major 3rd, perfect fourth and fifth, major 6th major 7th, octave and unison intervalls, relative to a certain key ( Starting with A then B, C, D etc.) I play the shapes and memorize the sound by different music pieces for example,
The minor 2nd ascending is the "Jaws theme" descending is "Für Elise" the fifth is starwars and so on to help me hear them better.

3. Im practicing the scales and try to really focus on getting my hands together especially in the locrian mode where I found the descend from g-string to b-string especially difficult.

3. I play some classical pieces and transcribe them to guitar pro file mostly from sheet music, to train my side-reading.
Also I love the challenging nature of these pieces.

I currently play the 1st Violin Sonata in G-minor ( I think Bach...) So far I have this.

Attached File  Violinensonate_Nr1_G_Moll.gpx ( 18.31K ) Number of downloads: 142

I have done some Paganini and some Bach and Chopin but I tend to do too much at once so I focus on the above as it has apart from Tapping all the major techniques.

Well hope Im not missing too much I really dont get to go to gmc that offen since Im pretty busy playing ^^

I have covered the remaining modes in Major so Im ready to go to the next tonality. Perhaps Harmonic or melodic minor which ever you think should come first.

Cheers Jan

PS: Since I had to pay the rent and some water and heating bills I still dont have my recording device ( AAAAARGHHH)
but it wont be too long now. I managed to get my Blues Junior Amp back ( well at least I found out where the person lives that has it) and will sell that and my old guitar that should do the trick. then you can FINALLY hear if my work has paid off. Thx for not giving up on me and sorry for making myself so rare in here^^

Awesome! I like you schedule it seems to me that you are really organized with your practice! Which is a very good thing!
You have learned some really nice songs! I can start teaching you Harmonic and Melodic minor but would suggest that we work on improvisation a little because this is the best way to really learn shapes and scales! I will be making assignments so you can master everything you have learned! Let me know what do you think! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jul 19 2012, 08:50 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 16 2012, 03:32 PM) *
Awesome! I like you schedule it seems to me that you are really organized with your practice! Which is a very good thing!
You have learned some really nice songs! I can start teaching you Harmonic and Melodic minor but would suggest that we work on improvisation a little because this is the best way to really learn shapes and scales! I will be making assignments so you can master everything you have learned! Let me know what do you think! smile.gif

Sounds like a plan ^^

Im ready.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 21 2012, 06:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jul 19 2012, 07:50 AM) *
Sounds like a plan ^^

Im ready.

So I have a new challenge for you!
Here is the backing track!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/withguitar
It's a minor blues
The chord changes are:
Ami7 - Dmi7 - Ami7 - Emi7 - Dmi7 - Ami7

Over Ami7 I would like you to play A minor pentatonic in this position

Over Dmi7 D minor pentatonic

Over E minor 7 E minor pentatonic

This exercise will help you to learn how to combine pentatonics and play over the changes at the same time!
Let me know if you need help or have any questions!

+Quote Post
Lixxx
Jul 25 2012, 10:18 PM
Ok i will get to it over the week end ^^

Cheers Jan

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 27 2012, 06:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jul 25 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Cheers Jan

Sounds good! Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 8 2012, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lixxx @ Jul 25 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Cheers Jan

Hi Jan! I just wanted to follow up and see how are you doing? Do you doing? Do you have any questions or need help with anything? Please let me know!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:43 PM