4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Talent, Practice makes perfect?
black and white
Jul 30 2008, 11:19 PM
GMC:er
Talent is an adjective that describes concrete and measurable responses. Kicking a ball or playing a guitar are all behaviors that humans can perform. Talent is a descriptive term,rather anthropomorphic actually, nothing more. It describes ones abilities. If you use other words to describe the "talent", then you will have identified the specific and measurable skill you are trying to improve. This will focus your practice and improves the skill. You will then be said to possess more talent, but in truth , you have learned to be more proficient at a specific skill or behavior. This really is a semantics thing. With all of the many different cultures and languages, it rather remarkable that we can all discuss something as detailed as this....interesting

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by black and white: Aug 3 2008, 06:57 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Aug 4 2008, 06:40 PM
Talent is just a result of hard work. and Also, this might change your mind on practice makes perfect. Practice acually make permanate. If you practice something, but it's wrong, than the is etched into your brain making it hard to relearn the right way. so, practice makes permanate!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 10:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Haven't read all the responses here.

From my experience "talent" is a combination of several things. First of all, some individuals learn faster than others - not just by determinition and will to do so or by interest, but simply because their brain adepts quickly to what has to be learned.

Besides that there are also such things as determinition and dedication. These of course needs no further explanation, but one who is dedicated to practice vs one who isn't may take the leading role were it a competition.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 10:41 PM
I Haven't read all the posts here. But let's ask first which is the better guitarist. The one who mastered everything guitar and musically related but does not enjoy it. Or the one who couldn't play to save his butt, but loves playing guitar. In my opinion the latter is the better guitarist, because he enjoys playing, which is vastly more important than actually being able to play.

If we were to define that as talent, combined with discipline and practice this makes an great guitarist.

If we were to define a knack for learning musical related things, talent, I wouldn't be so certain if that makes a great guitarist.

Another example, What would be the better guitarist. The one that can shred 16th notes at 320 BPM. Or the guitarist that can take an emotion, play that through his guitar and share it with whoever is listening.
I know which one I would call talented...

Just my 2 cents,
J

+Quote Post
javari
Aug 5 2008, 11:08 PM
In things like music, talent has to do with feeling, imo.
I agree that, with enough practise, you can learn the techniques. But to play music with real feeling, thats the real talent. At least that's what I think.
For example, Stevie Ray Vaughn could play with so much feeling. Personally, I don't hear that same amount of feeling with some other, technically great players, like Vai or Satriani. (OK, that's my opinion...)
For me, the abillity to communicate real feeling and emotions with your guitar playing is a sign of talent, even if your technically not that brilliant.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Niko Fran
Aug 5 2008, 11:13 PM
The answer is simple: None of them had any talent biggrin.gif

Just kidding smile.gif I think that talent and motivation is the same, as you have a passion for music and learning it. I dont think you can learn someone who isnt interested in learning guitar to play. Like me with math wink.gif

People who decide to practice and use their money on guitars certaintly are motivated, so I dondt think talent mean much, but that dosent seem to explain all those wonderkids you can find on youtube ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:53 AM