> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Claudiostrat's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2021, 10:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Claudio! Thanks for the new video! Great to know that this is helping mate!

I'll give you some comments regarding the first 20 seconds:

- Tone: The new tone sounds better. I would add some more treble or presence.

- Cleanness: Now that your tone has more drive, I noticed that you are having issues with cleanness. For example, at 00:09, it seems that an extra string is sounding. Something similar happens at 00:14. When playing metal (high gain style), it's important to mute all the strings that you are not playing. You can do this with the palm of your right hand but also with your left hand first finger.

- Vibrato: I can see what you are doing when playing vibrato with finger 2, but from what I can see, you are not using the other fingers to help finger 4 when playing vibrato at 00:18, and the same happens with the previous bend. Notice how Emir uses other fingers to give the one that is pressing more strength.
The first exercise here has cool bending/vibrato tips: https://youtu.be/JNDyI5b3Fh8

- Timing: The phrase at 00:07 can sound tighter.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 20 2021, 08:31 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 19 2021, 09:57 PM) *
Hi Claudio! Thanks for the new video! Great to know that this is helping mate!

I'll give you some comments regarding the first 20 seconds:

- Tone: The new tone sounds better. I would add some more treble or presence.

- Cleanness: Now that your tone has more drive, I noticed that you are having issues with cleanness. For example, at 00:09, it seems that an extra string is sounding. Something similar happens at 00:14. When playing metal (high gain style), it's important to mute all the strings that you are not playing. You can do this with the palm of your right hand but also with your left hand first finger.

- Vibrato: I can see what you are doing when playing vibrato with finger 2, but from what I can see, you are not using the other fingers to help finger 4 when playing vibrato at 00:18, and the same happens with the previous bend. Notice how Emir uses other fingers to give the one that is pressing more strength.
The first exercise here has cool bending/vibrato tips: https://youtu.be/JNDyI5b3Fh8

- Timing: The phrase at 00:07 can sound tighter.

thanks,

i'll work abit on this and get back to you over the next couple of days. I need to change a bit the the way I play it, with the extra finger, but it helps.

i can do that cleaner, just that rec had a bit of extra noise, but yeah with extra gain I need to mute a bit better, I think this should be ok.

agree the 00:07 can defy sound tighter, but for some reason i cannot get that exact sound, it has not "clicked" yet, I think I need to put a bit more strenght in the Hammer on/pull off 4 H 5 P 4 to get closer.

on tone , I'm maxed out on treble or presence at the moment.

A related tone question for you: is this a bridge, or neck pick up solo (or both)?
my initial guess was to use neck pick up, but worth checking with you.

cheers,
Claudio

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2021, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Claudio!

Your plan sounds good. It seems that Emir is using his neck pick up, but the sound is more like a bridge pick up. I'm comparing your tone again and you are pretty close with the current settings. Forget about adding more treble! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 22 2021, 03:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

Another attempt as discussed, 1st part only. With LP this time, what do you think?

Cheers,

Claudio

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2021, 01:53 PM) *
Hi Claudio!

Your plan sounds good. It seems that Emir is using his neck pick up, but the sound is more like a bridge pick up. I'm comparing your tone again and you are pretty close with the current settings. Forget about adding more treble! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2021, 08:23 PM
Instructor
It's getting better! Remember all the things that I've marked in the previous feedback and keep on practicing with those things in mind. Please re-read each detail from my feedback and let me know if you have any question!

Two more relevant things to work:

- Notes duration (avoid making them sound like with staccato)
- Remember to use other fingers to help the one that is doing vibrato. (00:24)

Keep on the hard work!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 23 2021, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2021, 07:23 PM) *
It's getting better! Remember all the things that I've marked in the previous feedback and keep on practicing with those things in mind. Please re-read each detail from my feedback and let me know if you have any question!

Two more relevant things to work:

- Notes duration (avoid making them sound like with staccato)
- Remember to use other fingers to help the one that is doing vibrato. (00:24)

Keep on the hard work!!

Hi thanks,

yes that staccato issue, with the LP had to focus on it again. Added support for the little finget too!

how about this one?

cheers,

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2021, 08:44 PM
Instructor
This is much better! The staccato effect is not close to disappear, and the little finger support is there too. You just need some more days of practice.

Good job!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 27 2021, 12:37 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabri,

I recoded a couple more here, I have also included 2nd part in both. They sound pretty similar to me but i'm muting the A string in a different way (with index finger) in the second one to avoid string noise in the "avoid staccato" part biggrin.gif .

what do you think?

thanks
Claudio

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 24 2021, 07:44 PM) *
This is much better! The staccato effect is not close to disappear, and the little finger support is there too. You just need some more days of practice.

Good job!!

This post has been edited by ClaudioStrat: Jan 27 2021, 12:37 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2021, 03:42 PM
Instructor
Great! The staccato issue is a lot better in the second take. Well done!!

Now there is room to continue polishing timing there. Let's continue polishing these two parts (until the fast ascending lick). The main issues appear when playing the quick legato (trill). There your timing still needs work, and off course when you play the last fast lick.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 30 2021, 08:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 27 2021, 02:42 PM) *
Great! The staccato issue is a lot better in the second take. Well done!!

Now there is room to continue polishing timing there. Let's continue polishing these two parts (until the fast ascending lick). The main issues appear when playing the quick legato (trill). There your timing still needs work, and off course when you play the last fast lick.

Hi Grabri,

Sorry for late update,I have been working on the guitar position and picking with Todd, so i moved to a classic position which took me a few days to adapt but I think ultimately i think it should help on this work too.

find below some updates, I played the first two parts (incorporating previous work and tring to improve a bit the trill) but added also the rest, I think the "fast lick" on this is half decent, what you think?

I think the tone I get with the strat bridge Humbucker is also ok for this (same Amp setting), what you think?

thanks in advance!
Claudio

https://youtu.be/tBmQgfDxsxY

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2021, 09:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Claudio! Good job here. I can notice big improvements, mostly in the first part. After that, your playing is good but there are more timing issues, and the overall tone isn't as warm and enjoyable as in the first parts.

Your guitars sounds good for this one, but a big part of the tone comes from your picking and fingers. As you are now more comfortable with the first 20 seconds, you seem to get a better overall tone there. Now you need to polish the following parts focusing on this two elements:

- Guitar tone/dynamics/feel
- Timing

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 7 2021, 09:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabri,

Worked on this a bit more. Probably still not there, but hopefully improved a bit the second part.

Two recs for you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Claudio

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2021, 02:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Claudio!

Yes, this is getting better. The more melodic parts are much better now. You mostly need to focus on improving your vibrato and remember to use the other fingers to help the one that is doing pressing the fret.

During the next days of practice I recommend you to add these two exercises:

1- Practice your vibrato technique over this backing. Instead of playing the whole thing, try playing long notes with vibrato for some minutes. Put all your focus on it, pay attention to your left hand, the movement, the sound, and the use of other fingers to help the one that is doing vibrato. Emulate the instructor's vibrato. Practice with different fingers and notes.

2- Isolate the section that goes from 00:34 to 00:44 in your recent video. Work on it over metronome or backing as a loop.- Focus on timing.

For the next update here, I'd like to find 3 takes:

1. Your random vibrato practice.
2. The isolated section over metronome or backing.
3. A full take.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 8 2021, 05:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 8 2021, 01:31 PM) *
Hi Claudio!

Yes, this is getting better. The more melodic parts are much better now. You mostly need to focus on improving your vibrato and remember to use the other fingers to help the one that is doing pressing the fret.

During the next days of practice I recommend you to add these two exercises:

1- Practice your vibrato technique over this backing. Instead of playing the whole thing, try playing long notes with vibrato for some minutes. Put all your focus on it, pay attention to your left hand, the movement, the sound, and the use of other fingers to help the one that is doing vibrato. Emulate the instructor's vibrato. Practice with different fingers and notes.

2- Isolate the section that goes from 00:34 to 00:44 in your recent video. Work on it over metronome or backing as a loop.- Focus on timing.

For the next update here, I'd like to find 3 takes:

1. Your random vibrato practice.
2. The isolated section over metronome or backing.
3. A full take.

What do you think?

Hi Gabri,

sounds like a good idea, it usually helps when i focus on single parts thanks.

couple of questions:

has my vibrato deteriorated in this one? or is it more of less the same as before?

you know the 00:34 to 00:44 i have done in a loop many times. Is there anything particular you can point out on the timing of that one that you see I'm still missing? is it the triplet? the ascending part? or is it in the last part of the lick ? (or probaly both huh.gifhuh.gif )

cheers,

This post has been edited by ClaudioStrat: Feb 8 2021, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 9 2021, 09:09 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 8 2021, 04:20 PM) *
Hi Gabri,

sounds like a good idea, it usually helps when i focus on single parts thanks.

couple of questions:

has my vibrato deteriorated in this one? or is it more of less the same as before?

you know the 00:34 to 00:44 i have done in a loop many times. Is there anything particular you can point out on the timing of that one that you see I'm still missing? is it the triplet? the ascending part? or is it in the last part of the lick ? (or probaly both huh.gifhuh.gif )

cheers,

Hi Gabri,

ok I have focused on #1 and #2 for some feedback. thanks again for reccomending this.

I have done some recording (from Amp to pc via USB) rather than video for #1 and #2 assignments:

#1 it is essetially me improvising over a Bminor scale with a lot of vibrato (most with multiple fingers apart form index finger) over B- parts of the backing track. Trying to get the vibrato tempo right, which I suspect is main issue in the consistency. Apologies in advance for the poor composition of random notes ... (at least they are in the right scale, well most of them...)

#2 the second one was isolating the fast lick. I have done the following: took the Gitarpro file, passed into DAW and I played over with my guitar untill got pretty close. In the file you will have in order
a) "10 sec of guitar pro only",
cool.gif 10 second of both me and guitar pro on top of each other,
c) "me only" for last.

how does it sound?

Claudio

Attached File(s)
Attached File  neoclassic_training_fast_run_4.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 181
Attached File  neoclassic_training_vibrato_3.mp3 ( 1.6MB ) Number of downloads: 183

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2021, 09:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 8 2021, 01:20 PM) *

I think that both are close, but in the new one you sometimes forgot to use the other finger to help the one that is pressing the fret, and sometimes you start vibrato too early. Remember to let the now sound first.

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 8 2021, 01:20 PM) *

The timing issues start exactly with the bend at 00:36, then the long ascending passage starts ok but in the middle the timing issues start again. It happens with the triplets, but alto with the following 8th notes.

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 9 2021, 05:09 PM) *
Hi Gabri,

ok I have focused on #1 and #2 for some feedback. thanks again for reccomending this.

I have done some recording (from Amp to pc via USB) rather than video for #1 and #2 assignments:

#1 it is essetially me improvising over a Bminor scale with a lot of vibrato (most with multiple fingers apart form index finger) over B- parts of the backing track. Trying to get the vibrato tempo right, which I suspect is main issue in the consistency. Apologies in advance for the poor composition of random notes ... (at least they are in the right scale, well most of them...)

#2 the second one was isolating the fast lick. I have done the following: took the Gitarpro file, passed into DAW and I played over with my guitar untill got pretty close. In the file you will have in order
a) "10 sec of guitar pro only",
cool.gif 10 second of both me and guitar pro on top of each other,
c) "me only" for last.

how does it sound?

Claudio

Great mate! This is exactly what you need to do, but you obviously need to do this for some days. When playing vibrato, remember to let the note sound before starting the vibrato movement, and continue practicing in order to connect more with the groove of the backing.

Regarding the passage, there are still timing issues, but it's getting better! The last trill is the most problematic thing and it's the idea that gives you issues during the whole solo, so it requires to be isolated too. (as an extra exercise).

Well done mate, keep the good job!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 9 2021, 10:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Perfect, thanks. I’ll work on this a bit more. I’m starting to get it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2021, 10:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 9 2021, 06:45 PM) *
Perfect, thanks. I’ll work on this a bit more. I’m starting to get it

Great!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 13 2021, 07:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabri,

A new video for you. What do you think?

Best,
Claudio

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2021, 08:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Claudio!

Great! I like the energy of your vibrato here. I notice a bit improvement comparing this take with the previous ones. This means that the current work is exactly what you need.

Your timing is also getting better. The fast ascending passage is a bit rushed in this take but the overall lick sounds smoother. Also, continue paying attention to those trills like the one at 00:13. (Attention to timing).

I think that you only need some more time of practice. Well done!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:20 PM