How do i improvise
Kevin98497
Aug 21 2006, 10:15 PM
GMC:er
Hey people, i learnt most of the riffs on the video lessons thing, but i still cant just pick up the guitar and make things up as i play. Can i have a few tips on making things up as i play please :?:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
chipk1
Aug 22 2006, 02:42 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff)
Hey people, i learnt most of the riffs on the video lessons thing, but i still cant just pick up the guitar and make things up as i play. Can i have a few tips on making things up as i play please  :?:

I have been playing for about 22 years but only started trying to learn lead solo stuff for about 1 year. I am only now starting to understand improvising.

First, thing I would do is learn your Am pentatonic scale. I have found that your can use it in many songs by just adjusting to the current cord root being played and just beat around in that scale. This will help give you a basic area to play around with on the fret board and be generally in tune to the song.

Also pratice chromatic scales to help with speed and finger placement accuracy.

Also try to learn all the riffs you can. Goto sites like guitartabs.cc and pickout songs you like and try to learn them.

And finally practice, practice, practice. If found that when I finaly decided to learn lead/solo guitar and stuck with it by practicing at least 2 hours a day (sometimes 3 or 4 hours) for the last year, I started to get results. It first you will feel like you are getting nowhere but one day you will look back and say "damn I can play now."

But like I said, you must practice at minimum basic scales religiously everyday. If you skip a day, you will take a step backwards. Just keep pluging at it and you will eventually get it.

I hope can get something out of this rambling post.

Good Luck and PRACTICE!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tank
Aug 22 2006, 08:26 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (chipk1)
First, thing I would do is learn your Am pentatonic scale. I have found that your can use it in many songs by just adjusting to the current cord root being played and just beat around in that scale. This will help give you a basic area to play around with on the fret board and be generally in tune to the song.  

Also pratice chromatic scales to help with speed and finger placement accuracy.  

And finally practice, practice, practice. If found that when I finaly decided to learn lead/solo guitar and stuck with it by practicing at least 2 hours a day (sometimes 3 or 4 hours) for the last year, I started to get results. It first you will feel like you are getting nowhere but one day you will look back and say "damn I can play now."

But like I said, you must practice at minimum basic scales religiously everyday. If you skip a day, you will take a step backwards. Just keep pluging at it and you will eventually get it.

Good Luck and PRACTICE!

I agree with this. I'm in a similar situation to chip, having played for ages, before actually trying to master the instrument. However recently I've started using a good practise technique, which has opened up improvising for me quite significantly. I've been studying Marty Friedman, learning some of his Megadeth stuff and trying to figure out how he does what he does, funnily enough it's outlined quite clearly in most of his lesson videos, which I've had for years. I was just too blind, trying to copy him, rather than listen to what he was saying!!!

As chip says, you pick a scale, but as you are practising, rather than just aimlessly running up and down the strings, stop somewhere, for instance the middle, pick three or four notes, and just run up and down between them, trying to figure out the different combinations you can make with it. Throw in the odd note that isn't in the scale as well, and start to build unusual lines that can be put together into licks. Eventually if you practise the technique enough, you can stop anywhere on the scale and feel comfortable with just throwing odd patterns around to make up some new licks, at speed. (Improvising on the fly !! smile.gif )

There is actually a youtube video of Marty doing something similar using a n arpeggio pattern, (taken from "The Essential Marty Friedman" video, which I highly recommend on the subject)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX7kfeefWQE

Regards

/T

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Aug 22 2006, 08:11 PM
thanks, i didnt know what was looking for when i posted this, but i read this and realised that i was looking for one thing- How to practice,and u answered my question, thanks

+Quote Post
Disobedience
Aug 23 2006, 06:20 PM
The best way I found to improvise was to record a jam track with a basic 2 or 3 chord riff.

Let it play and then just play. Add different riffs together, make up your own...just play and let it flow.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:52 PM