> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Johnmathew's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 12 2015, 08:07 PM
Instructor
Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army as we arranged via PM.

At first, I'd like to know more from you:

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 12 2015, 09:40 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 12 2015, 07:07 PM) *
Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army as we arranged via PM.

At first, I'd like to know more from you:

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?

About 3 years. Anyway, I'm always in and out. I mean, I always start playing with a lot of energy and hope of getting better than last time I left but ussually, I don't get much further and again I leave for about 2 or 3 months and I try again.

This, does not mean I don't put all I have trying to get better. The problem is that I think I'm not good enough creating a good practice workflow.

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians?
This is not easy to answer. I like from electronic to Brutal Death Metal. Anyway, Related to music my favourite bands/artists are The Ramones, Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Craddle of Filth, In Flames (early lps), Children of bodom (early lps), and all kind of hair metal smile.gif

This answer may seem naive but, my goal is to play Far beyond the sun from yngwie malmsteen biggrin.gif. If I get there I think I could be really proud of me. I think I'm not really good creating music so, interpreting music from others could be enough for me. Does it sound sad? Well, we have to know our limitations smile.gif.

I would like to be much better musically speaking. It would be awesome if I could play my own solos/riffs in a natural way. I mean without forcing it just expressing. Ouch! I forgot about the "Far beyond the sun" objetive. I want to get there too biggrin.gif

I always try to play between 1:30 and 2 hours per day.

No. And I ussually get pretty nervious when I play fro friends and family. I think it is a matter of confidence

->Strong points (may be lying)
-- Alternate picking
-- One string fast picking
->Weakest points
-- Legato techique
-- Sweep picking technique
-- Going from slow to fast (This is something that really annoys me. I can play slow and sometimes fast but it is pretty difficlut to play in-between

I had 2 years at the School of music in town. I have basic harmony knoledge, I can read scores, I can build basic scales, etc... I need lota more confidence on scales & modes.

I think so. I would just need some recomendations on how to do it. As I told you by PM I could use my mobile or webcam. Don't really know what soft you use for this matter. I'm all ears.

Right now I'm playing Power Slave by Iron maiden and vortex from megadeath. I can't play the full songs but I thing I can play around 2 or 3 minutes of each one. Would this be what you are looking from?. Could you give a bit of insight on how you do it? I'm staring to use Reaper as my main DAW is it ok? On the other hand, what do you use to keep your camera/phones, etc... at a certain position when recording? Are you using any special metal arm or something?

Cheers!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 12 2015, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2015, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Hi John! Thanks a lot for all this info. It really makes me know you a lot more. The next step is to hear you playing. This video will give you all the tips you need to know to create guitar videos:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 13 2015, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 13 2015, 12:20 PM) *
Hi John! Thanks a lot for all this info. It really makes me know you a lot more. The next step is to hear you playing. This video will give you all the tips you need to know to create guitar videos:

Thanks a lot!

Gonna try this now.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2015, 01:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JohnMathew @ Oct 13 2015, 09:21 AM) *
Thanks a lot!

Gonna try this now.

Cheers.

Great. You'll also find this thread helpful: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52512

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 13 2015, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I have spent all evening trying to record something. I finally did it! At last biggrin.gif. It is my first time doing all this mess so, be patient. I have added just audio. I will be adding videos in the next days. Just getting used to all this. I have recorded a section of the Powerslave song. First rythm part and a bit of the solo (there are some errors in there though). I will try to upload a chunk of vortex from megadeth tomorrow.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  gmc1.mp3 ( 3.54MB ) Number of downloads: 67

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2015, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Hi John! Great job putting this together!

I think that I can suggest a first plan for this week:

30 minutes - Guitar Gym: Routine I

30 minutes - Working on a solo lesson: Neoclassical Solo

30 minutes - Working on a rhythm lesson - Anvil Style

Let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 14 2015, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2015, 01:12 PM) *
Hi John! Great job putting this together!

I think that I can suggest a first plan for this week:

30 minutes - Guitar Gym: Routine I

30 minutes - Working on a solo lesson: Neoclassical Solo

30 minutes - Working on a rhythm lesson - Anvil Style

Let me know what you think!

Hi!,

Thanks for the first suggestions. I think I'm capable of playing this perfectly (at a first glance, lets see what happens when I start biggrin.gif).

Gonna start it just now, will upload my progresses when I finish any part.

Edit1: I have noticed that in the "Anvil Style" lesson you use just down strokes for the second rift. My natural way of picking it is alternate picking. Is there any problem with this?

Cheers!

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 14 2015, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 14 2015, 05:51 PM
I double posted because of a problem with my connection.

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 14 2015, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2015, 02:22 PM
Instructor
When playing this kind of riffs, the use of only downstrokes is not related to how easy or difficult it is for us, it's related to the accentuation and feel that you get. You won't get the same sound using alternate picking so I recommend you to practice this one with only downstrokes. This element is used for riffing and also for soloing, it's an expressing technique that gives a different approach to dynamics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 15 2015, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 15 2015, 01:22 PM) *
When playing this kind of riffs, the use of only downstrokes is not related to how easy or difficult it is for us, it's related to the accentuation and feel that you get. You won't get the same sound using alternate picking so I recommend you to practice this one with only downstrokes. This element is used for riffing and also for soloing, it's an expressing technique that gives a different approach to dynamics.

Understood! Back to work!

Cheers.

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 15 2015, 06:30 PM
Hi!,

I have some more doubts.

It is about the gym exercises:

About BLock1- Exercise 1:

-> Show I be using fing 1 and 4?

About BLock1 -Exercise 2:
->for the 7 fret should I be using 2 or 3 finger

About Block2 - Exercise 1:
-> I have noticed I could play this lifting the first finger when moving between strings or just put first finger doing a capo on fret 8 and just moving finger 1. Which version do you think is the ocrrect one?

And finally, I get really tired doing BLock1: exercise 2 pretty soon. Can't do more than 5-7 seconds at once smile.gif. Am I just a weak boy?

Thanks a lot for your effors trying to make our better guitarrists! I think I'll be posting neoclassical audio tomorrow (camera is on its way biggrin.gif)

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 16 2015, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Hi John! Here I show how to play exercises 1 and 2:

-> I have noticed I could play this lifting the first finger when moving between strings or just put first finger doing a capo on fret 8 and just moving finger 1. Which version do you think is the ocrrect one?

Both versions are possible and you should be able to play it in both ways, however, if using your finger as a bare, you need to do a small movement (inclination) to mute one string when playing the other one. If you ask me about my personal favorite, I prefer moving the fingers instead of using it as a bare. Check the slow videos of this lesson where this pattern is used: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/

And finally, I get really tired doing BLock1: exercise 2 pretty soon. Can't do more than 5-7 seconds at once smile.gif. Am I just a weak boy?

hahaha no, you need more training. Remember to relax your body and hands while practicing, this will help to gain more endurance.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 17 2015, 03:31 PM
Hi,

Well finally I recorded my first vid. Sound is terrible :/. I need to improve my tone capabilities because I suck on this. Let's see what you think about it.

What do you think Gabriel... are we going to move a forward or stay?

Cheers.

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 18 2015, 08:54 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Mi_pel__cula__Subclip_.mp4 ( 44.36MB ) Number of downloads: 143

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2015, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I got this one. I'll be back with feedback about the video.

About your practice, let's keep with the current routine until this Wednesday and then tell me how the first week was, ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 18 2015, 11:57 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 18 2015, 09:59 PM) *
Hi mate, I got this one. I'll be back with feedback about the video.

About your practice, let's keep with the current routine until this Wednesday and then tell me how the first week was, ok?

Yes, of course! I will uploading the other video in the next days smile.gif.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2015, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Hi John,

I've just checked your video. The quality is good for this purpose. Then you can continue experimenting to improve your tone/mix but it's really good to have these kind of videos from you here.

About your playing, there are 2 first things to work on:

- Alternate Picking: You are doing some left hand fingers movement when playing alternate picking and I don't recommend it. The movement when playing alternate picking should start from your wrist and a bit from your elbow but not from your fingers.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato is not consistent and regular. I recommend you to play along with the original backing focusing on imitating the instructor's vibrato, to get used to play it more naturally and connected to the backings groove.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 19 2015, 02:34 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2015, 12:56 PM) *
Hi John,

I've just checked your video. The quality is good for this purpose. Then you can continue experimenting to improve your tone/mix but it's really good to have these kind of videos from you here.

About your playing, there are 2 first things to work on:

- Alternate Picking: You are doing some left hand fingers movement when playing alternate picking and I don't recommend it. The movement when playing alternate picking should start from your wrist and a bit from your elbow but not from your fingers.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato is not consistent and regular. I recommend you to play along with the original backing focusing on imitating the instructor's vibrato, to get used to play it more naturally and connected to the backings groove.

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look to the vid.

About the alternate picking issue, I don't understand the "left hand fingers movement" because later in the sentence you seem to talk about the hand that holds the pick. Anyway, do you mean that the pick is not in a steady position when doing the alternate? and instead of moving wrist I am moving the fingers holding it to accomodate to the up and down strokes?

So, from your comments it seems I should be playing it for some more days smile.gif. Let's back to work!

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2015, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Hi John! I'm sorry! I mean your right hand! blink.gif

Does it make sense now?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
JohnMathew
Oct 19 2015, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2015, 01:38 PM) *
Hi John! I'm sorry! I mean your right hand! blink.gif

Does it make sense now?

Yes, of course. much more sense. Anyway the issue you saw is the one I described?

If it is, this is something I do when not playing fast but when playing a bit more fast I "lock" the pick an the fingers holding it in a fixed position. Do you think I should be doing this when playing slow too?

BTW, is there any chance getting backing track of anvil style lesson? It is not downloadable using ussual gmc means.

Cheers.

This post has been edited by JohnMathew: Oct 19 2015, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:01 PM