How To Hold The Pick?
Asvi
Sep 25 2010, 12:59 PM
GMC:er
It may seems stupid but it's a question I cannot answer! I usually hold the pick between thumb and index finger but using my fingertip. Recently i notice that Kris curve the index finger (and so he doesn't use his index fingertip). This approach seems to work also for me, it seems to give me more control of the picking but i'm not sure. Is that really better?
thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 25 2010, 01:04 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Asvi!

I used to hold the pick just as you described (with the fingertip of the index finger) for as long as I play guitar. Recently (last week...) I changed that and now hold the pick with the side of my index finger, kinda like Kris and many other instructors and other famour guitar players do. It really gives you more control (imo) and will help you when you try to pick faster. Here are two Paul Gilbert videos where this topic is touched:

Hope this helps!

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Sep 25 2010, 01:07 PM
Learning Roadie
There is no specific way to hold the pick.It depends on what is comfortable for you.Try out various grips by moving the pick and check which is most comfortable for you.I had the same problem when i started playing,I wasn't sure how to hold the pick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asvi
Sep 25 2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks Gitarrero, while it's true there is no specific way to hold the pick i think this way allows more control and help picking faster. I've got paul gilbert intense rock, he was younger but he starts telling the story of the teacher who taught him only downstrokes, awesome smile.gif So far I can't play over 130-140 bpm with my right hand so i hope this way of holding the pick will help me to improve the speed. What you guy think?

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 25 2010, 01:53 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
It helped me, for sure! Hey, if you got time tonight (8 pm CEST) you should join the chat with Todd Simpson, this is a great opportunity to discuss picking. Hope to see you there.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Asvi
Sep 25 2010, 02:14 PM
It's unlikely i'll be there this evening because i think i'll be out but i'm going to join the chat as soon as i can! It seems to me that the way to hold the pick it's very important! Is Todd Simpson going to make GMC chat every night?

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 25 2010, 02:18 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Every saturday night!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Asvi
Sep 25 2010, 03:19 PM
I'll be there next saturday wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:00 PM