2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Emg Pups (active Vs Passive), For those that have alot of experience with EMGs
Asphyxia Feeling
Apr 29 2007, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
hi. i currently have an Ibanez RG2EX1 guitar that has passive "Designed by EMG" pickups. (basically means, low quality EMGs that have "EMG" on them to attract people).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519783

i'm considering investing in a ESP (mainly because Ibanez has a poor selection of fixed bridge electrics):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP...tar-?sku=516685

the pickups on this are active (81 and 85) what i'd like to know is, are active EMGs much different sounding then passive ones? because there is also a cheaper model of the same guitar which has EMG HZs

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP...itar?sku=516687

the only other difference between the two other then pickups appears to be the quality of the tuners, the 400NT has grovers.

Basically, is it worth it to pay an extra 200$ for active pickups? or should i shoot for the passives? i know, this a matter of what a person personally likes. i'm just asking your opinions. i hope to go to my local guitar store (sadly an hour and half drive, and that's if your lucky) ((it's near LA)) (((TRAFFIC))) to try the passive pickups to see if they are any better then my "DESIGNED BY EMGs". i've tried a guitar with actives. it was pretty cool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 29 2007, 11:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I never tried the active EMG 81 & 85 but I've tried the passive Hr-Hz or whatever they're called. I didn't like the sound at all. And the 81/85 set is uninteresting since I avoid actives pu's at all times. And the reason is simple, I hate changing that damn battery. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
May 1 2007, 04:02 PM
EMG's are too muddy for my taste. If I were you I would consider getting rid of the EMG's all together and pick up some Dimarzios

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
yell03
May 2 2007, 02:28 AM
If you get the EMGs get the active pick-ups.

I have the active 81/85s on my ESP LTD Viper-400 and the active 81/60s on my ESP LTD EC-400.

I love how the EC-400 plays and sounds, even better than the Viper, but I like the lower fret access of the Viper.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
May 2 2007, 01:48 PM
thanks for the feedback.

i actually would probably get a guitar with dimarzio's, but i can't seem to find a fixed bridge guitar with 24 frets loaded with those pups. my price range (or atleast how much i think i can save, haha) is 500-700 USD.

let me know if you guys have seen guitars like that in that price range?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 2 2007, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ May 2 2007, 02:48 PM) *
thanks for the feedback.

i actually would probably get a guitar with dimarzio's, but i can't seem to find a fixed bridge guitar with 24 frets loaded with those pups. my price range (or atleast how much i think i can save, haha) is 500-700 USD.

let me know if you guys have seen guitars like that in that price range?

What you could do is to get the Ibanez of your choice and put in the DiMarzios after.

Let's say you pay 320Euro for the RG321 with a fixed bridge. It's a H-H setup. So you'd get two pu's from DiMarzio, order from eBay or something, you'd pay less than 80 Euro a piece.

So 320 for the guitar and 160 for the pu's = 480 E or somewhere around $650 and you'll have the pu's of your choise.

Details on the pu's are that if the center-center measure between the E-strings down by the bridge is 53 mm or more you'd get an F-spaced pu for the bridge. And if the measure is 43 mm or more you get a F-spaced neck pu for the neck.
Just check these measures up before you order. One simple idea could be to just look at a guitar you like at Ibanez.com and get the same pu's for your guitar. It's all on the Ibanez FAQ.

Then it's just a matter of soldering.

If you get an other guitar besides Ibanez make sure the pots are at 500k Ohm for Humbuckers.

Right now I'm working on an old Charvel, am going to mill holes that fit a singlecoil up to DiMarzio humbucker pu size and put a Super Distortion in the bridge position and a Breed pu in the neck position. There's actually a Singlecoil pu also in the middle but I will just leave that hole empty. Also have to get those 500kOhm pots since the ones in it were too small.

If this works out well I might upgrade my Ibanez FM320 with Evolution pu's cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
May 2 2007, 04:04 PM
Or you could just go to your local music shop and I'm sure they will install them for around 20 bucks a piece if you don't want to do all that work. Oh and just for the record, I would go with the Dimarzio tonezone in the bridge and a Evo in the bridge if you got the dough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 2 2007, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Mark Schiewe @ May 2 2007, 05:04 PM) *
I would go with the Dimarzio tonezone in the bridge and a Evo in the bridge

laugh.gif Bridge pu's are nice and all but you can't put em all there biggrin.gif

Cool Jem, I like the coloring.

This post has been edited by MickeM: May 2 2007, 04:55 PM

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
May 3 2007, 05:11 AM
HAHAHA, whoops. I meant a tonezone in the NECK smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
May 3 2007, 07:18 AM
wow. thank you very much for the advice! i think i may actually do that!

i'm a novice on guitar tech stuff (trying to master PROPERLY setting action / inotation right now, so i won't need to pay an outrageous fee at a shop) but there are plenty of ways to learn how to solder, and if that doesn't work i'll just pay them to upgrade for me.

update:

just look at some dimarzio pickups online. i'm liking the EVO 2 for a bridge and a Tonezone for the neck!

This post has been edited by Asphyxia Feeling: May 3 2007, 07:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
moles
May 3 2007, 09:04 AM
btw
EMG's battery life is something like 3000 hours plugged in.

so if you have EMG's just pull out the lead of your guitar and it will last an age tongue.gif

If you want to play heavy stuff i recommend the emgs (81/85)
But if you want to play a more diverse range of things, i recommend the dimarzios as above tongue.gif

I myself have the ec-500. im a bit of a metal head wink.gif great guitar =]

This post has been edited by moles: May 3 2007, 09:04 AM

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 3 2007, 12:06 PM
QUOTE (moles @ May 3 2007, 10:04 AM) *
btw
EMG's battery life is something like 3000 hours plugged in.

Cool! I checked it up and that's a fact. So for a set with EMG 81 and EMG 85 a 9V battery life is approx 1500 hours.

I used to have active pu's in an old guitar and the battey life was a lot shorter than that. I mean, with 1500 hours if you forget to unplug the cord it will run out in 60 days. My guitar ran out in just a few days, less than a week.

So never the less changing batteries is a pain in the @$$ but 1500 I could live with rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
J.E.M
May 8 2007, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ May 3 2007, 06:18 AM) *
wow. thank you very much for the advice! i think i may actually do that!

i'm a novice on guitar tech stuff (trying to master PROPERLY setting action / inotation right now, so i won't need to pay an outrageous fee at a shop) but there are plenty of ways to learn how to solder, and if that doesn't work i'll just pay them to upgrade for me.

update:

just look at some dimarzio pickups online. i'm liking the EVO 2 for a bridge and a Tonezone for the neck!

This is a very good page with many tips on adjusting and stuff.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/default.htm

This post has been edited by J.E.M: May 8 2007, 04:11 AM

+Quote Post
steiner666
Mar 20 2008, 09:45 PM
I've had experience with Seymour Duncan and EMG pickups. As you can tell by my sig, my ESP has that same set and I personally love it. I might have a completely different opinion if I didn't primarily play death metal, but they suite my style perfectly.

At the time, I was trying to decide whether to get a new guitar or a new amp to help improve my tone (primarily sustain). I eventually decided to invest in a new guitar and the difference between the passive SDs and active EMGs was huge IMO. Pinch harmonics are almost effortless and, with the selector on the 81 pickup in the bridge, my soloing is much more pronounced. Also, and I don't know if it was just a wiring issue with my Duncans, but the EMGs actually give off less buzz even though they're higher output (dont ask me how).

Basically, i think EMGs are the best for extreme metal.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 20 2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor
I had EMG 60 and 81 pickups in one of my guitars once, and although I don't like them much now, I still think that the active EMG's are a lot better than the passives. The EMG HZ's just sound quite cheap.

+1 for the Dimarzio's also wink.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Mar 21 2008, 12:00 AM
get a dimarzio d activator... way more soul and life than emgs

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 21 2008, 12:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
Go for the active versions, it is worth the money.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 21 2008, 12:19 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 29 2007, 11:51 PM) *
I never tried the active EMG 81 & 85 but I've tried the passive Hr-Hz or whatever they're called. I didn't like the sound at all. And the 81/85 set is uninteresting since I avoid actives pu's at all times. And the reason is simple, I hate changing that damn battery. laugh.gif

EMG 81 & 85 is awesome!

MickeM is just Lazy laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 21 2008, 12:08 PM
Instructor

MickeM gave you a great idea. IF you want a guitar with custom HH pickups it is better to take a good playing 400$ guitar and put in there two H pickups of your choice. It all depends on what you are playing but generally didn't heard much good thing about active EMG's on the clean channel. I think Dimarzio or SD pickups are very versatile and you can't go wrong if you follow some general guidelines in what pickups you take. They are all very good for the price.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 21 2008, 01:52 PM
if you get a cheaper one with the HZ's you can install whatever EMG pickups you want really easily since they have a wiring harness that just plugs in, no soldering necessary So if the price is more than less the cost of the pickups you want, then that might be an option, but they probably use better wood in the more expensive series.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:00 PM