Got My Hollowbody, Yay!
jdriver
Aug 22 2008, 05:38 AM
GMC:er
Here's a pic of my new beauty. It's an Austin au796 (ES-335 clone), and if you believe the reviews on Harmony Central, just about as good as the real thing. It does sound great and plays very well. Appears to me to be higher quality than the $600 Gretsch I looked at.

I picked this one up for $165, including hard case on Ebay! I know they're dead common, but who cares.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
sigma7
Aug 22 2008, 05:48 AM
was this the one u had ur eye on? Wut a beauty

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 22 2008, 06:10 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Very nice smile.gif

Looks awesome!!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 22 2008, 06:24 AM
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Aug 21 2008, 09:48 PM) *
was this the one u had ur eye on? Wut a beauty

Yes, this is the one. They said it was Mint, and it is, although I can see it was played a lot. It really does have better tone than I ever thought it would.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 22 2008, 07:37 AM
Lets go fishing!
That is beautiful, I love these hollowbodys. Im hoping to get one very similair for christmas cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 22 2008, 11:36 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Looks really good smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 22 2008, 11:42 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I love hollow body guitars , have one myself too smile.gif

Congrats man , looks beautiful , and the price is great! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 22 2008, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Looks great! You got that for a good price!
Happy playing:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Aug 22 2008, 11:55 AM
A nice semihollowbody.....looks just like Epiphone Dot I had for a short while before I sold it, but it was very nice.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 22 2008, 12:11 PM
Instructor
Looks really nice, congratulations.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 22 2008, 12:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
oooww.. nice

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 22 2008, 03:05 PM
Instructor
Look great man, you change the pickups and you'll have one great guitar smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 22 2008, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 22 2008, 07:05 AM) *
Look great man, you change the pickups and you'll have one great guitar smile.gif

Suggestions for pickups? I think these are Alnico, cheap ones of course. And how DO you work on the electronics on these things with no access hatch?

I'd like to put a B-7 Bigsby on it as well... I love that look and sound.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

This post has been edited by jdriver: Aug 22 2008, 04:57 PM

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 22 2008, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Aug 22 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Suggestions for pickups? I think these are Alnico, cheap ones of course. And how DO you work on the electronics on these things with no access hatch?

I'd get Gibson 57' Classic in the neck and 57' Classic Plus in the bridge. It will sound amazing!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Aug 22 2008, 07:01 PM
I love hollowbodies, this thread is giving me GAS.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 22 2008, 07:15 PM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Aug 22 2008, 09:05 AM) *
I'd get Gibson 57' Classic in the neck and 57' Classic Plus in the bridge. It will sound amazing!

Great idea, but YOWCH!! the price! They both say bridge position, but one will work in the neck position? I've never replaced any.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 23 2008, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Aug 22 2008, 02:15 PM) *
Great idea, but YOWCH!! the price! They both say bridge position, but one will work in the neck position? I've never replaced any.

it will sound very close to a gibson es-335 if you put in those pickups. try and find them on ebay. oh and the 57 classic PLUS is for the bridge, not the other one

PLUS = BRIDGE smile.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 23 2008, 04:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jdriver @ Aug 22 2008, 11:53 AM) *

Adding a B-7 Bigsby would be awesome!! smile.gif A set of new pickups as well and your ready to go.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Edit: PS, if it where me I might take off the pickguard to show the other "F" hole (see what it looks like). Just a thought.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Aug 23 2008, 04:08 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 23 2008, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Aug 22 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Adding a B-7 Bigsby would be awesome!! smile.gif A set of new pickups as well and your ready to go.

Congrats on your new purchase!

Edit: PS, if it where me I might take off the pickguard to show the other "F" hole (see what it looks like). Just a thought.

OK, you talked me into it. B-7 is on the way. As for pups, the 57's sound like a good choice, but I'm going to wait for Ivan "Mr. Tone" Milenkovic to chime in.

Not sure if I trust myself to be careful enough after taking off the pick guard, we'll see.

--------------------
For some understanding.
Was there ever?

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Aug 23 2008, 04:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Man that's great!!

You can always put the pickguard back on. It's just a few screws. You have to see it. wink.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:05 PM