2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Audio Card Issues
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 16 2014, 10:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have a Steinberg CI2, which I use frequently and without problems on my desktop. It works perfectly without any issues. It's a USB card. However, I've previously used it with my laptop without any problems as well, about half a year or more ago. However whenever I use it with my laptop now it cuts off for a few seconds every now and again, sometimes more often than other times. It's quite annoying when one is trying to record or generally just practicing whatever.

I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling Windows, basically anything I could think of. Anyone know what's going on here and how I can possibly fix it? As said, it works perfectly on one computer, but on the other it just doesn't.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2014, 11:01 PM
GMC:er
is it the same usb cable?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 16 2014, 11:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2014, 11:01 PM) *
is it the same usb cable?

Yep.

Also, in addition, if I record something and the audio cuts off for a few seconds, the recorded part is still being recorded while the sound is gone.

I have also tried different buffer sizes, but the issue remains though more frequent at lower settings than at higher settings. Weird thing is that it has worked perfectly in the past at 512.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 16 2014, 11:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2014, 11:56 PM
Its seems like some program is being activated on the background automatically during the mute, follow visually the "process" tab on the task manager to see what it is when the sound mutes again.

This might have started by anything like an update, registry defrag etc. while you weren't recording with that computer. Happened to me and was a bit annoying to catch and fix but not so bad either smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 16 2014, 11:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 16 2014, 11:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2014, 11:56 PM) *
Its seems like some program is being activated on the background automatically during the mute, follow visually the "process" tab on the task manager to see what it is when the sound mutes again.

This might have started by anything like an update, registry defrag etc. while you weren't recording with that computer. Happened to me and was a bit annoying to catch and fix but not so bad either smile.gif

What kind of thing am I looking for here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2014, 12:07 AM
Just open the task bar and the process tap I mentioned, click on the cpu tap there so you'll see what programs are being active. During the mute of sound, a program should appear using cpu and %99 thats the one causing the problem.

Fixing it depends on what the program is so please give us info on what it is before doing anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 12:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 17 2014, 12:07 AM) *
Just open the task bar and the process tap I mentioned, click on the cpu tap there so you'll see what programs are being active. During the mute of sound, a program should appear using cpu and %99 thats the one causing the problem.

Fixing it depends on what the program is so please give us info on what it is before doing anything.

Just done that and nothing like that happens. sad.gif So that seems not to be an issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2014, 12:27 AM
Thats ok, it might actually be a good thing as maybe its something much simpler to fix smile.gif lets see what others can think of smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 17 2014, 12:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 12:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
Actually, on second look, I get a spike in CPU use watching the CPU graph, but nothing in processes seem to trigger it. Now of course all of a sudden I very rarely get the sound cut out... as opposed to just earlier before this topic, where I'd get it like once a minute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 17 2014, 01:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 17 2014, 12:33 AM) *
Actually, on second look, I get a spike in CPU use watching the CPU graph, but nothing in processes seem to trigger it. Now of course all of a sudden I very rarely get the sound cut out... as opposed to just earlier before this topic, where I'd get it like once a minute.

this is what was happening to mine ( here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51190 ) , I use Reaper and Audiobox.Thought I had it fixed after a driver update , but it started shortly after the update.
if ever find the cure , I would love to know and if I ever find out the problem I'll post it

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 01:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 17 2014, 01:05 AM) *
this is what was happening to mine ( here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=51190 ) , I use Reaper and Audiobox.Thought I had it fixed after a driver update , but it started shortly after the update.
if ever find the cure , I would love to know and if I ever find out the problem I'll post it

Oh, yeah, I remember that topic now. It's a really annoying issue!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 17 2014, 01:46 AM
Unplug the internet and restart computer (don't open anything else like browser when the computer is started again) when you're going to record anything, not a solution but if works still useful smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 01:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 17 2014, 01:46 AM) *
Unplug the internet and restart computer (don't open anything else like browser when the computer is started again) when you're going to record anything, not a solution but if works still useful smile.gif

I'll try it. I'm trying to make it a "attic practice room computer" (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=51594&hl=), so I'd like it to work properly instead of this annoyingness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2014, 06:33 AM
Get a mac!!! smile.gif Seriously did you try the other suggestions I gave you in PM?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 16 2014, 05:58 PM) *
I have a Steinberg CI2, which I use frequently and without problems on my desktop. It works perfectly without any issues. It's a USB card. However, I've previously used it with my laptop without any problems as well, about half a year or more ago. However whenever I use it with my laptop now it cuts off for a few seconds every now and again, sometimes more often than other times. It's quite annoying when one is trying to record or generally just practicing whatever.

I have tried updating drivers, reinstalling Windows, basically anything I could think of. Anyone know what's going on here and how I can possibly fix it? As said, it works perfectly on one computer, but on the other it just doesn't.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 01:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2014, 06:33 AM) *
Get a mac!!! smile.gif Seriously did you try the other suggestions I gave you in PM?

Hah! If I had that kinda of money I might have just done that. I don't, unfortunately!

I've tried all of your suggestions without any luck sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 17 2014, 01:52 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Cael (and jst) - just a quick thought...

Are you using a USB port that is connected directly to the MOBO or one that is on a port? If it's the latter try using the former and disconnect any USB device that you don't need. The CPU spike may be because you're not getting sufficient power to the audio device at those specific moments.

One thing - it may not be another USB device that is causing a drop in power if that is the problem - it may well be another peripheral and video cards are often an issue as they tend to be power hogs.

And if you're on Win 7 - Windows has a hotfix patch for audio devices using usb that have had CPU spikes. Heres the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981214/en-us

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 02:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 17 2014, 01:52 PM) *
Cael (and jst) - just a quick thought...

Are you using a USB port that is connected directly to the MOBO or one that is on a port? If it's the latter try using the former and disconnect any USB device that you don't need. The CPU spike may be because you're not getting sufficient power to the audio device at those specific moments.

One thing - it may not be another USB device that is causing a drop in power if that is the problem - it may well be another peripheral and video cards are often an issue as they tend to be power hogs.

And if you're on Win 7 - Windows has a hotfix patch for audio devices using usb that have had CPU spikes. Heres the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981214/en-us

Thanks, Tony! I actually added you on Facebook to ask you if you had any idea. Chris Evans suggested I'd ask you.

I'm suspecting it to be an USB issue. I don't know how to see if it's connected directly to the motherboard or not though. I have 3 USB ports, but only 1 of them is working.

I'll try giving the video card solution a look and see how that pans out.

Also: Would I benefit anything from installing Windows 8 instead of Windows 7 in regards to these issues?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 17 2014, 02:06 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd stay on Win 7 at least for now. Win 8 has it's own problems rolleyes.gif .

This thread may help identify the problem if not fix it as well

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-...ista-7-8-a.html

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 17 2014, 02:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Tony. I'll give it a look and try out the things suggested in that thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 17 2014, 02:09 PM
Instructor
One of "ghost issues". Very popular. Can't help unfortunately. Never found one common reason for this happening...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:48 AM