> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Meet The Ornaments, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

mhskeide
Sep 27 2019, 09:24 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Original lesson: Meet The Ornaments by Darius Wave

Trying to get back into the REC habit again, after months of working overtime and neglecting guitar work :( Tried a "simple" one here, as I tend to struggle most with the simple stuff. Also, for those interested, look at those weird artifacts introduced in the picture when moving my left hand. Wonder if it is my phone (recording at 60fps) or iMovie that does that during compression.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 30 2019, 03:39 AM
GMC:er
First off, congrats on memorizing this REC. There are a LOT of moving parts here and there are a LOT of notes. Also a LOT of various techniques involved. It's a wad of stuff crammed in to one REC. I can see that this would take a LOT of work. I can feel how much time you've put in to this. It take a lot of practice to get a rec played right and I think you have it!! I'm guessing the author of the rec may a pinch more critical as he wrote it. From where I sit it looks pretty darn good. well played, with feeling. Solid 8!!
Todd
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 27 2019, 04:24 PM) *
Original lesson: Meet The Ornaments by Darius Wave

Trying to get back into the REC habit again, after months of working overtime and neglecting guitar work sad.gif Tried a "simple" one here, as I tend to struggle most with the simple stuff. Also, for those interested, look at those weird artifacts introduced in the picture when moving my left hand. Wonder if it is my phone (recording at 60fps) or iMovie that does that during compression.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2019, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!!

Great to see you back here!

When listening to your take, I think that it sounds good. However, I did a deep comparison between your playing and Darius and I've found an important list of details that can be added and improved in your take regarding timing (mostly when playing trills and legato licks), pitch (bending, mostly in half bends), dynamics (for example during the slide section, which it also includes an extra not required picked note in your take) and the speed of your vibrato.

I recommend you to dedicate some time to compare both videos and identify these elements that can take your playing to a new level. The lesson is a bomb and Darius playing is full of details that make it priceless.

I hope that you enjoy your new beginning, let's continue at the mentoring thread!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 1 2019, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

I like your condifence through all the take. You play like you mean it without a hesitation. That's a huge plus even of there are some little fixex to be made.

I know it's not a 1st priority thing in this lesson but picking order is critical if you ever consider yourself to be fast and precise "picker". It all begins here, at very simple and "afforadable" speed. If you pass on this now, it will remind someday and you'll wonder how could this happen. Your picking direction choice is very casual. Look - your right hand looks very busy while in original lesson video it looks like actually nothing serious is happening. Try to copy exact picking pattern from original and you'll what I mean. Of course all chanegs seems to be harder at the beginning. It never works in a minutes. It usually seems like something worse at first. You need to put some trust and work before you could see for yourself why this is so important.

Prebend part is actually the hardest one because it takes lots of time and experience to make you muscles memory get you to the right pitch without hearning the note. It tricky, demanding but cool exercise at the same time. You need to work on this for some more time. Pitch is your weakest point at this moment.

Thrills are better the further you go. First is a little shy adn imprecise but it gets better later. Final thirls also tend to go little of, probably because you start to think of upcomming licks.

Regular bends part - picth issue again

First few vibratos are looking a little like "upwards" while the rest looks downwards. In general downward vibrato usualy gives more control over pitch and better release point to the pitch zero status. When vibrated note alwasy crosses pitch zero point, than it sound in tune. With upwards vibrate there is a tendency to bend the note and vibrato over a slightly bent note that causes things to sound a little out of tune.

keep in mind that these issues do not make things sound wrong. They are pointed to help you make things sound even better, more precise and clean. Overall you did good on this one and you could try to reach the "perfect grade". Well done

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 7 2019, 07:46 AM
GMC Founder
Very nice!

To get closer to Darius' tone here I would try boosting midrange and see if you can remove some bass.

About the video quality - youtube supports 60fps so yes somewhere along the way, the frame rate got lost. It could be in imovie export. If you check the raw video on your computer you should be able to see if it has the left hand [fram rate] issue as well.

Keep it up - you get an 8 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2019, 10:56 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:34 PM