2 Pages V   1 2 >  
All Modern Recordings And Dvd
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 01:38 PM
GMC:er
I have many complaints in this area and wondered if others felt the same way. I was watching the new Muse DVD yesterday and I thought it was awful. I was there and loved every second of it but the DVD makes me sick. The camera doesn't stay still for 2 seconds and it keeps jumping around everywhere and never stays in the same place for an interesting section. Back in the old days the camera used to fix on the guitarist for a solo or shoot to the bassist for a cool fill and generally stay on the vocalist singing. This doesn;t happen anymore. If they are going to do this then they have to give people more control of the camera angles.

Also new music is too perfect. It is recorded and every slight mistake is erased and some bands record at 50% speed and others change each note they play wrong with the click of a button and yeah the CD sounds spotless but is that what people want? What happened to the good old days of having a raw sounding album that was recorded with no big editing. Before you could record at 50% speed and speed it up. And compression on some of these albums is ridiculous.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 20 2008, 02:17 PM
The Dark Canuck
I have to agree with you about bands putting out "perfect" albums. In most cases it doesn't translate well to the live show because their playing and sound is basically manufactured in the studio.

This is why for me the true test of a band is the live playing. Anyone can sound great in the studio but it's really something when you sound great live. I've talked about the band "The Tragically Hip" a lot on GMC but they are a prime example of bands who are great live..... they are actually better live then on CD in my opinion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 02:18 PM
It's why in the current music situation I'd much prefer to be known as one of the best live bands than best recording artist.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 20 2008, 02:29 PM
The Dark Canuck
Completely agree with you there. Live playing is where the talent is in my opinion. And I don't mean those lip syncing wannabes who spend more money on choreography and lights to put on a "show". I mean the ones who go out there, miss a note, break a string, and lose their voice cause they are playing so hard for their fans.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 20 2008, 02:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
From memory - the producer Steve Lilliwhite was asked to re-record and re-edit a hit record he had from years ago (Pogues' Fairytale of New York). On the original you can hear the Shane talking very quietly at some point. Steve did the job played the new version and announced that he preferred the original, warts and all, as it had more warmth and feel.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 02:41 PM
It has to be the way. That is what gives a lot of songs their beauty. If Kill Em' All sounded like St Anger would it have been half as good? It was the raw edge behind it that made it what it was.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 20 2008, 02:44 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 20 2008, 10:38 AM) *
From memory - the producer Steve Lilliwhite was asked to re-record and re-edit a hit record he had from years ago (Pogues' Fairytale of New York). On the original you can hear the Shane talking very quietly at some point. Steve did the job played the new version and announced that he preferred the original, warts and all, as it had more warmth and feel.

Cheers,
Tony

So if it ain't broke don't fix it smile.gif

Fairytale in New York is an amazing song too. In any version.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2008, 03:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Guilty as charged!

I'm recording presently, has to be good and I'm laying five (five!!!) takes on the guitar only. Two pairs of the sound I want as the end result panned hard L and R, two over distorted panned less and a clean in the middle.
And no copy paste it's new takes for each.

And I the result is so much more full than a stereo recording with only two guitars.

Two tracks panned L and R would give;
LxxxR where x is empty
LLxRR is a lot better, I lower the mid ones a bit

and the clean guitar in the middle gives support to the rest of the tracks.

So I rather listen to a perfect recording but the real deal will be obvious when a band play live. So Live albums has their charm of course. I'd honestly be disappointed if I bought a CD that was not properly mixed and mastered. Like the ones I have from Savatage which pretty much sound as they were recorded inside a carton box.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 03:05 PM
I love those recordings. If you listen to the album Scream Bloody Gore by Death it sounds like it was recorded in a dungeon and because of it I love it even more. Things can be overproduced I think. Some people really want things to be perfect. It's like when I go and see a band live and they'll make a mistake that is noticeable. I then hear a DVD they release of the show and all the errors have been edited out and replaced in the studio. Why not keep it in as part of the performance? I want to hear what happened not what should have happened.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 20 2008, 04:51 PM
Instructor
I completely agree with you.. Everything has a tendency to sound overly polished nowadays.

Some of my all time favourite albums sounds like they were recorded in a windy forest with a 4-track.
Albums like Mayhem - De Mysteriis dom Sathanas, early Death (as mentioned above), early My Dying Bride and similar..

They capture a certain energy and atmosphere that no plugin or hardware can possibly recreate.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 20 2008, 04:52 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 20 2008, 05:26 PM
Singing Instructor
I agree that some of the recordings are better with live energy and mistakes...like in the old days...but even the bands that we are talking a bout would record the same way(flawless) if they are recording now...that is the picture and the style of that time...But I don't agree that recording is easy and that the band who sound bad live could perform great in the studio....studio is whole diferent story...and it takes other skills to perform good...one of them is to sound good live.... in my opinion that is....
but I agree old songs should not be re recorded...kills the memory and energy of the song smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Mar 20 2008, 04:26 PM) *
I agree that some of the recordings are better with live energy and mistakes...like in the old days...but even the bands that we are talking a bout would record the same way(flawless) if they are recording now...that is the picture and the style of that time...But I don't agree that recording is easy and that the band who sound bad live could perform great in the studio....studio is whole diferent story...and it takes other skills to perform good...one of them is to sound good live.... in my opinion that is....
but I agree old songs should not be re recorded...kills the memory and energy of the song smile.gif

Even Cher can sound good in the studio biggrin.gif You can pitch shift any note now to make it right and it sounds perfect and record it 50% slower to get rid of mistakes. It is too easy. Even I can sound good in the studio biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 20 2008, 06:00 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 05:57 PM) *
Even Cher can sound good in the studio biggrin.gif You can pitch shift any note now to make it right and it sounds perfect and record it 50% slower to get rid of mistakes. It is too easy. Even I can sound good in the studio biggrin.gif

well if you say so....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 20 2008, 06:46 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 04:38 AM) *
I have many complaints in this area and wondered if others felt the same way. I was watching the new Muse DVD yesterday and I thought it was awful. I was there and loved every second of it but the DVD makes me sick. The camera doesn't stay still for 2 seconds and it keeps jumping around everywhere and never stays in the same place for an interesting section. Back in the old days the camera used to fix on the guitarist for a solo or shoot to the bassist for a cool fill and generally stay on the vocalist singing. This doesn;t happen anymore. If they are going to do this then they have to give people more control of the camera angles.

Also new music is too perfect. It is recorded and every slight mistake is erased and some bands record at 50% speed and others change each note they play wrong with the click of a button and yeah the CD sounds spotless but is that what people want? What happened to the good old days of having a raw sounding album that was recorded with no big editing. Before you could record at 50% speed and speed it up. And compression on some of these albums is ridiculous.

Man, i hate that. When there is an excellent solo and the camera is on the guy in the crowd screaming, Really gets to me.

As for the new music being to perfect, Doesnt bother me as much but i can see where your coming from, One of the reason i love the delta blues is that old, unproduced, raw and dirty sound of the vocals and guitars.

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 20 2008, 06:51 PM
The camera angles on DVDs sometimes suck, but I really don't mind perfect recordings. In fact, mistakes in a studio recording bother me. Why make studio albums if they're gonna contain mistakes?

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2008, 07:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 03:05 PM) *
I love those recordings. If you listen to the album Scream Bloody Gore by Death it sounds like it was recorded in a dungeon and because of it I love it even more. Things can be overproduced I think. Some people really want things to be perfect. It's like when I go and see a band live and they'll make a mistake that is noticeable. I then hear a DVD they release of the show and all the errors have been edited out and replaced in the studio. Why not keep it in as part of the performance? I want to hear what happened not what should have happened.

laugh.gif my bad, I must be tired for some reason ;-)

Yes, absolutely for live recordings. If there's an error, keep it, if someone in the audience shouts, keep it etc. I reconed we talked recordings in general. Silly me.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 20 2008, 10:33 PM
Instructor
I've noticed the sucky camera angles on DVD's too, it's really annoying sad.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 20 2008, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 20 2008, 07:23 PM) *

Yes, absolutely for live recordings. If there's an error, keep it, if someone in the audience shouts, keep it etc.

I don't know why, but I just hate live recordings(for listening, that is). Who wants to hear the audience shouting in the best part of the song? And who wants to be listening to a mistake over and over again? Makes no sense to me.

But that's just me.

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Mar 21 2008, 11:55 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 01:38 PM) *

I fully agree with you.
I HATE the jumping cameras and fast cuts.
Same with the overmixed/overproduced albums.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Mar 21 2008, 11:59 AM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 20 2008, 10:36 PM) *
I don't know why, but I just hate live recordings(for listening, that is). Who wants to hear the audience shouting in the best part of the song? And who wants to be listening to a mistake over and over again? Makes no sense to me.

But that's just me.

Agree on this too smile.gif
I love watching/listening to live music but I don't like to listen on live recorings.
Lousy sound, crowds screaming.
Which might be contradicting what I just said in the other post tongue.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:30 PM