Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vibrato And Alt Picking Single String Lick, #28 Vood of Vibrato with Alt Picking on a Single String
Todd Simpson
post May 19 2018, 10:23 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Quick Licks #28 Vibrato and Alt Picking Single String Lick
INTRO:
We've been working on our vibrato and we've worked on Alt Picking. Let's do both!!! Pay attention to the tablature on this one. It's a very fun lick and easy to pull off. A great addition to your bag of tricks! Don't forget to hold on to the neck for the last note vibrato! This is mostly about picking hand work this time. Here is another quote from John Pettruci. He's spot on about the importance of stamina in the right hand.

Attached Image

This drill is great for building stamina as you can loop it. Play it with the Gabe backing, play it with a Metronome, whatever you like. Just play it! Play it on a loop and work up some stamina. There is no such thing as a great player without right hand stamina. As JP says, playing a show, 80 percent of the night is rythm playing. If your right hand wears out, your solo won't sound like much.

Just like last time, make sure to use your entire hand for vibrato, don't use just the finger tip. Focus on up and down motions and try to avoid quick back and forth movements as quick back/forth movement results in a very shallow/twitchy vibrato sound and that alone can wreck how your playing comes across.

*Make sure to watch the vid, don't skip it and just look at the tab, the tab is just where to put your fingers, not the lesson.

*NOTE: It's ok to let your thumb come over the top. This is fine for blues/funk soloing where you need bigger vibrato.

*Try this simple warm up AFTER watching the vid, so that it makes sense.
Attached Image

Attached File  28warmup.gp5 ( 1.55K ) Number of downloads: 15

*Here is the part to record on Vid Quick Licks 28.
Attached Image

Attached File  28.gp5 ( 1.89K ) Number of downloads: 17

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick, like the previous one, will work on gabes funk collab. If you have not joined, it's a great chance to work on your soloing! It's not a fast backing, no shredding. Just focus on your bending and vibrato. Here is the link to the collab.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=59206&hl=

Here is the Backing Track

Attached File  Jazz_Funk_Backing_Track__Gm_.mp3 ( 16.51MB ) Number of downloads: 49

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about vibrato, send me a PM if you like or post here

XTRA FILES : Here is the 11 Rack Patch I"m using just in case you happen to have an 11! If someone has a BIAS or HELIX patch to share please just let me know and we will add it here. I think MISTER M has a great blues tone, hope hes using something he can share!*Unzip then install via patch edit appAttached File  QuiLicks28.tfx.zip ( 1.31K ) Number of downloads: 8

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 20 2018, 04:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post May 19 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #2

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

Funny, I was sitting here practicing when you posted this smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 20 2018, 03:54 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Nice!!! Serendipity!!! smile.gif Glad I caught you during Practice time. You really did a fine job on this. Your technique just keeps getting better and better. Best of all, you are relaxing more and more with the guitar. There is none of the tension that I sometimes used to see. It was never much, but now it seems to be gone. Which is GREAT. One just can't play well and be tensing up at the same time. Just can't be done IMHO.
You have developed a very natural grip and playing style where the guitar becomes an extension of your body instead of something foreign that your just holding. It's once you get to this level of comfort and relaxed playing that you can really start to take off. You are on the verge of your next big step in gains IMHO.

Back to the lick!! Picking is spot on, hand synch is tight, muting is just killer, and all around confidence in playing is very good. You look like you are at ease with the instrument and with the lick. It comes off great.
Plus!!! You didn't get snagged with the little "trap" that I put in the lick where it switches to single strikes and away from single fretted, double open. I put that in there on purpose to catch folks that read through it too quick or were using the force. smile.gif It's important to read the tab even if one knows where a lick is going. Which you did, perfectly.

Also, pace is impressive. You play the lick at speed, having just learned it. In short, you killed it. Nice!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ May 19 2018, 06:21 PM) *
Funny, I was sitting here practicing when you posted this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 22 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

My first attempt, I struggled to get the timing over the funk backing so did it free.
https://youtu.be/GjIH45ABcQM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 22 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

NAILED IT!!! These seem to be getting easier for ya!!! You didn't get caught by the built in pick trap when it switches to single from double strike on the open string, well done!! Also, your muting Kung Fu continues to be strong. Most importantly, your alt picking is on point!! Every strike is Alternating. It's tempting to try this one all down pick sometimes.

You killed it! Clean and even strikes, solid mute, alt picked, no stumble, bam. Done!! Try this on every string as a warm up lick when you start your practice sessions. It will wake up your fret hand and pick hand. Makes a great warm up drill. Also, try using different fingers during warm up. E.G. First through pinky on different frets then start over with first finger when moving to new position. Don't forget to try multi picking during warm up as well

But as for this, stick a fork in it it's DONE!!! Congrats smile.gif

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 22 2018, 03:47 PM) *
My first attempt, I struggled to get the timing over the funk backing so did it free.
https://youtu.be/GjIH45ABcQM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 22 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Thanks Todd

What about the vibrato?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 23 2018, 03:56 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

It's working!! I just noticed I forgot to mention it!!! My bad. You keep your thumb on the neck which is the thing we have been doing in the past few lessons. It's a good habit. Eventually, you won't need it, but it's good to have it until you hit that point. Also, now that you have the form down, don't be shy!!! Go a bit over board on your vibrato. Wag it in to the other strings and just keep them muted and they should not passively resonate. Give it a nice full pull toward the high E and WAG it. smile.gif Try to start with the finger and use the wrist as backup like we talked about. Whatever comes in the next Quick Licks or if you find vibrato in the other ones or in collabs, bootcamp, etc. Try to really exaggerate it. Take it to the extreme for a while. Make sense?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 22 2018, 05:16 PM) *
Thanks Todd

What about the vibrato?

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 23 2018, 07:12 AM
Post #8

Makes sense Sarge,

I think its the subconscious fear of snagging other strings that stops it happenning wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 23 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Fight it!!! smile.gif Wag in to them on purpose to help desensitize you to the concern of it. Leave the amp off and just wag it WIDE. Then turn things back on and try it smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 23 2018, 02:12 AM) *
Makes sense Sarge,

I think its the subconscious fear of snagging other strings that stops it happenning wink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
George Hlio
post Jun 19 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Experienced Roadie

Member No.: 21.651

My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 22 2018, 04:06 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

NICE!!!!! This is what I love to see. You take the lick and then do it on other strings and the do it with and without palm muting. You display a very good understanding of the lick itself here and a very good understanding of the various waysthat the lick can be played using different techniques and approaches.

You get up to speed quite quickly here and this lick is one that can easily trip one up! You just KRUSH it and rip it like you were born playing it!!! Good muting, clean strikes, tight hand synch, it's all there! I hope you realize how impressive it is to see someone just dive in and get such a good grasp of this lick. Try to add this to your warm up and try to use it in a solo context asap! It will work with any backing that is in the same key as the open string in question. You can shift the note pattern to make it Major or Minor depending on what you need.

As for this one, you KILLED IT!! As usual, and ..
LEVELED UP!!!!!*Also you've eared the STAR OF HONOR as the Ranking GMCer in Quick Licks!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (George Hlio @ Jun 19 2018, 04:50 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 23 2018, 02:02 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

NICE!!!! Very well done on this. This is NOT an easy lick at all and you do it quite well. This is the kind of lick that can work slow or fast, so there is no need to "shed" it, it can work just as well played one note at a time smile.gif Add this as a warm up for practice sessions when you plan on doing sweep/arpeggio work. It's a great way to warm up for sweeping work.

You've got a very good grasp on the fundamentals of what is going on in this lick and I think you will be able to play it in a very "yngwie" sort of way if you want to with just a bit more practice and repetition. Repetition is really they key to everything as far as guitar goes. The most important thing is to find a way to repeat licks/drills without them becoming tedious. Everyone has a different level tedium that they can endure, so it's critical to find a way to keep things as fun and enjoyable as possible so as to be able to want to do things over and over so that one can improve along the way! As you go, you'll find out how much/little repetition you need and can tolerate.

As for this one, you KAAAARUUSSSSHHEED IT!!!! and....
LEVELED UP!!!!!!*Also you remain our TOP DAWG in Quick Licks and I've never needed a 29 QL badge before today. You are the first one!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 21 2018, 11:06 PM) *
NICE!!!!! This is what I love to see. You take the lick and then do it on other strings and the do it with and without palm muting. You display a very good understanding of the lick itself here and a very good understanding of the various waysthat the lick can be played using different techniques and approaches.

You get up to speed quite quickly here and this lick is one that can easily trip one up! You just KRUSH it and rip it like you were born playing it!!! Good muting, clean strikes, tight hand synch, it's all there! I hope you realize how impressive it is to see someone just dive in and get such a good grasp of this lick. Try to add this to your warm up and try to use it in a solo context asap! It will work with any backing that is in the same key as the open string in question. You can shift the note pattern to make it Major or Minor depending on what you need.

As for this one, you KILLED IT!! As usual, and ..
LEVELED UP!!!!!*Also you've eared the STAR OF HONOR as the Ranking GMCer in Quick Licks!
Attached Image
Todd

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Oct 25 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #13

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Here's from the very start of seeing the lick, learning it and getting it somewhat up to speed smile.gif Let me know if you need a better and cleaner run at it than the one at the end.

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo[/soundcloud]

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 25 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

BINGO!!! That's a great demo as well of learning the picking strike pattern before adding the rest of the notes to it!! Breaking the lesson down in to picking, and then adding fret traverse lets you focus on one aspect at a time rather than be overwhelmed with both at once. Also, you got the note pattern correct on the first try which is rare since this lick is not symmetrical! The hand wants to try to play it in a symmetrical way, which is why I wrote it like this smile.gif It forces the hand to adapt to a strange sequence that isn't normal. You adapt just fine!!! Good muting, solid strikes, it's all there. It's also a great example of how to break down a lick in to it's component parts before trying to play it!! The only mod you might try is using all your fingers instead of moving just the first finger in the first part of the lick. It's just fine the way you are doing it, just thought I'd mention a mod to try smile.gif Using the fingers lets you traverse less with the hand. Just another way of skinning the cat as it were. Hmm. Now that I see that written down, "skinning a cat" seems a bit barbaric. Maybe, "more than one way to peel an orange"? Same idea smile.gif You nailed it!! And...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 25 2018, 03:46 PM) *
Here's from the very start of seeing the lick, learning it and getting it somewhat up to speed smile.gif Let me know if you need a better and cleaner run at it than the one at the end.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2018, 09:29 PM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Nov 4 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 23.212

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 5 2018, 03:36 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

You got this!! smile.gif This lick has a very assymetrical feel to it which can be tricky. You got it though! Just a couple of little things, you are using one finger instead of making use of your entire left hand. It's a good idea to try to use all of your fingers when possible to work on dexterity. Also you have a bit much Delay on this tone so that it's sorta tough to tell where the notes start and the delay stops, but this is quick licks so as long as you get the lick and can play it, your in good shape. For future quick licks though, try to avoid using any delay on your tone just cause it makes it tough to hear what you are playing. Also, try to use the rest of your fingers on these single string licks, it will help tons in the long run!! But as for this, you got it and ..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Nov 4 2018, 10:20 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2019 - 07:00 PM