3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
How Much Do You Practice?
jammer91
Jun 17 2007, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
iM just wondering....

How much time do you guys practice in total PER WEEK?

Me, usually about a total of 3 hours per week.... lol i know that sucks, and my summer goal is to push it up to about 10 hours per week!!!

Everyday im gonna post how much progress i have made by posting how long i practiced that day.

Even you guys can do that too to see if youve met your expectations.

GooD LUck!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jammer91: Jun 17 2007, 11:26 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 17 2007, 11:36 PM
smile.gif well its good to see that you are setting a goal of 10 hours per week. the more practice the better but perhaps you should try to up that if you are truely serious about being a great guitarist, personally during the school year i give it a good 2 hours everyday plus when ever i don;t have much to do ill sit around and doodle with the git maybe another hour ish? during the summer when there is nothing to do all day i could end up spending 5-7 hours a day on the guitar. Wake at 10, eat, 10:30-12 play guitar, eat, 1-4 play guitar 5-7 do whatever, 7-8 play guitar, 8 head out for evenin. This is a basic days schedule it changes but as you can see at least 5 hours get played per day and i don't consider myself to be anything special. your improvement will also depend how well your practice. this is just my opinion im sure youll get some others smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 17 2007, 11:43 PM
i try to keep a minimum goal of 5 hours per day.

5 x 7 = 35 hours per week.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
spdalton
Jun 17 2007, 11:49 PM
Ugh, I wish I had the time to be able to practice that much every day!
I have about 3-4 hours of school work each night, and by the time that is done I have no energy left to practice efficiently. Holidays are coming up soon though biggrin.gif So hopefully I can get 15 hours a week or so.

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
Owen
Jun 17 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm a bit on and off, today I practiced for 11 hours, yesterday I only did 2.

Other times I can go weeks without practice.

This post has been edited by Owen: Jun 17 2007, 11:53 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 18 2007, 04:16 AM
yea, sometimes i dont practice that much, sometimes i feel very tired, and other times i simply dont have any inspiration at all. sad.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 04:18 AM
Atleast 5 hours a day, when i work, but when i dont its like 12 hours or so. Those are just basic estimates not exact. Somtimes i cant even get one day of practice in because i work al lday or something, but other than that i think i get neough practice time in!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
lespaulrocker
Jun 18 2007, 04:19 AM
i try to get 40 a week, but usually im somewhere between 25 and 30

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jun 18 2007, 05:38 AM
I manage to squeeze in half an hour every single night minimum during the week, and four to six hours total on the weekends. Early on I discovered that short, 30 minute bursts of practice worked well for me, so I often sit down to practice two or three times in a single day. I also have several guitars, so I leave at least one upstairs in the living room. That way I can pick it up and fiddle around while watching TV or waiting for dinner to cook. Those little 5 minute sessions make a surprising difference to my day smile.gif

I'm not sure boosting my practice sessions to 5 hours a day would make much difference either - there is a limit to how fast you can learn something. Plus I'd hate for what is intended to be a hobby to take over my life! That, and I don't think I've had five hours to dedicate to any one thing since finishing high school (many years ago!).

A couple of my friends have started learning the guitar as a result of me picking it up, and I suggested they aim for a 30 minute structured practice session every day and a 30 minute "fun" session each day.

Edit: So to answer the question directly, I practice for 8 - 15 hours per week depending on my workload.

This post has been edited by Lurgen: Jun 18 2007, 05:39 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Ibanex
Jun 18 2007, 05:48 AM
Didn't practice for 3 days now. My mom took my guitar away sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jun 18 2007, 06:01 AM
QUOTE (Ibanex @ Jun 18 2007, 02:48 PM) *
Didn't practice for 3 days now. My mom took my guitar away sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Ouch. I was without a (good) guitar for four weeks and it drove me up the wall!

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jun 18 2007, 07:30 AM
don't practice much because my parents want me to study so much every day sad.gif

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 18 2007, 09:08 AM
Dudes and Dudettes...

I try to practice a couple of hours each night. It makes a difference. I think if I went for 5 hours I would get sick of it and smash my guitar up!

JT

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 18 2007, 03:20 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Marraboy @ Jun 18 2007, 04:08 AM) *
Dudes and Dudettes...

I try to practice a couple of hours each night. It makes a difference. I think if I went for 5 hours I would get sick of it and smash my guitar up!

JT

I'm travelling on business and can't play again until Friday sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
aerohit
Jun 18 2007, 04:04 PM
Its summer vacations here, and I am spending them here in my institute itself. That gives me the freedom to practice all night long...yippie biggrin.gif tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 18 2007, 04:21 PM
Andrew you should take your guitar with you on business smile.gif thats what id do, if its practical.. i havn't had alot of time to practice this week due to EXAMS! AHHHHHHHHHh

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 18 2007, 05:03 PM
I normally get about one hour a day. I dont see what the point is of practicing like someone said 12 hours a day!Guitar is one of my hobbys, not my whole life! I'm also progressing great amounts with just playing one hour per day. I probably would go to 2 hours, but i have my baseball tournament, and thats about every day. And i'm in the car alot driving to the places, and when i get home, boy am i tired! I normally sleep for a bit and then watch TV, play guitar, go swimming and thats my day normally.

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 18 2007, 05:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jun 18 2007, 05:07 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 18 2007, 03:21 PM) *
Andrew you should take your guitar with you on business smile.gif thats what id do, if its practical.. i havn't had alot of time to practice this week due to EXAMS! AHHHHHHHHHh

Kind of a pain travelling like that. Even with a hard case. Too big to carry on, so you have to check it and hope it doesn't get dinged up.

I'm practicing more than I had been in the past, but not as much as I should. I'm putting in maybe 30 minutes at a time a couple of days a week. Then whenever I let the dog out I pick the guitar up and practice my scales.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Robin
Jun 18 2007, 05:13 PM
Minimum 1 hour. If I didnt have a job I'd probably play all day, but I dont have enough time/energy to play all day. But I guess I usually play 1-3 hours, sometimes more, but I also play 1 hour with my band almost every day, but I mostly just play riffs when playing with my band, a couple of difficult chords maybe, nothing special really.

Anyway, somewhere beetween 1-5 hours every day or something.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 18 2007, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:03 AM) *
I normally get about one hour a day. I dont see what the point is of practicing like someone said 12 hours a day!Guitar is one of my hobbys, not my whole life! I'm also progressing great amounts with just playing one hour per day. I probably would go to 2 hours, but i have my baseball tournament, and thats about every day. And i'm in the car alot driving to the places, and when i get home, boy am i tired! I normally sleep for a bit and then watch TV, play guitar, go swimming and thats my day normally.

See thats why you only play that much dude. Because its your hobby! Guitar is my life so i HAVE to play that much, I NEED to play that much.

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:31 AM