Ac/dc Collaboration, FINAL MIX & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, I must say in advance again, sorry for the delay, I was little sick and on the road so I had to do the collab this late. Since there aren't too many participants I've decided to make some more detailed reviews for the people who did me the honor to participate. Here's is the summary

Type of collaboration: AC/DC rock style
Final Mix length: 3.23
Number of Participants: 6

ALEX:

Great intro Alex, I loved that intro syncopated lick followed by the slide. Then some hamerons&pulloffs working your way up that bend release-and-to-the-root should be more precise. i would suggest practicing only the bend and release slowly so you execute it very sharply and with precision. ALso a small vibrato on the root would be nice too. Those intervals later are excellent and pulloffs as great, nicely in the groove, slow but precise and I can hear every note - I like that. The last lick is little faster, and not too precise, but then again it sounds pretty cool so it can be an effective way to finish a solo for sure. All in all, I suggest practicing more on the construction of the solo as a whole. You have the technique and you use it with caution. Your solo construction is cool too, you know where to put certain passages, like in the end a faster one and start with the slower one, but try to make a whole solo like a whole, not as a combination of different passages. All in all I think you are heading in the right direction, the playing is great. The sound is good no comments there.

JAD:

Wow, lots of drive, mids scooped, interesting color, but be careful you're on the verge to make it sound muddy. Playing is like this, intro is great, those pinched are very cool and effective, and whammy use is excellent. You really made it part of the solo which is great. The melody further is developing nicely, but that mini run is little sloopy if you ask me. I suggest you practice a little those runs with a metronome, at least one of them and they will make your soloing on a much better level of quality. Bends after that mini run, on the half of the solo are perfect, very precise and in tempo. I suggest adding a vibrato there nevertheless it will can definitely sound pro with those quality bends. Second part of the solo is fine too, but seems to me you didn't have much ideas when you finished those nice bends. IMO those bends on the half would be a great way to finish the solo, not the ending you played. All in all construction of the solo is what you must work on, building a solo to a certain point is no problem for you, you are doing it great, but finishing off effectively is something you should focus more on.

GILMORE:

And do I smell some bluesy roots there? Nice use of pentatonic scale is a great way to start the solo. First lick is a very nice one, but little generic, tho I like how you've played it. That vibrato is not too precise, must be nice, sharp and fluid to sound good. In those situations it is better not play it then do it like that. I suggest a little practice and it will be great. When you go to major scale lick and apply those bends it is great, but when you go to those tremolo intervals and work your way up the fretboard that is excellent. I like that build up and this quality lick can really make the whole band get boosted up with energy believe me. I smell talent there. The rest of the solo is in "soul mode" and I really felt that. You really got into the groove and got carried away, and I like that. This shows you have natural feel for the blues based music and I suggest you practice a lot in that direction to be able to use it even better. So, more work on vibrato and bending vibrato to really boost up the feel in your soloing and you will sound excellent.

TJCHEP:

First the sound. It is good, but little scooped and too much space if you ask me. Definition in sound is very important, more important than lots of effects so try to find a balance in presets. You started the solo nicely, Some nice slow bends and vibratos. Vibrato use is excellent I must say. That pinched harmonic didn't turned out so good, so I suggest to practice more those PH in order to gain full control over it. Just after it is a great bending vibrato and I really like to hear when someone practiced those a little. They add a great quality to the overall soloing. Applying bends up through the solo ending is fine, but would like to hear just one small run or lick there so it doesn't sound the same. But all in all, you managed to work your way up to the end nicely and finished off with something I think is your specialty - cool bending licks. Nevertheless, I suggest practicing small runs here and there and work some more on those PH. Also find a good preset with less space and it will be a pro sounding solo for sure.

NEMANJA

Great rock style singing my friend. Since I don't know much about singing technique and all I will try to pint out the things I hear that maybe could be recorded a little better if you let me. Vibrato on "only dream" could be more steady, I think you tend to go down when breathing out, and when applying a vibrato it is hard to vibrate the note and low with it. So one of these must go off. It is maybe because of the tendency to vibrate every finishing note always. Try to make you vibrato more controlled on the places where is exactly needed. After that, it goes very smooth and nice and that low note is excellent. You have a great resonant bassy voice that's for sure. The second part of the singing is good but glued on, and I don't like that but that aside on "devil" the vibrato is again a little clumsy. More precise control is needed. Then when the backings get in it sounds really great. I like that idea very much and you sang it perfectly, what can I say. You voice is great for layering and note pitch control is perfect as expected. A small thing is maybe the end of the backing where the letters don't match entirely but that's a minor thing. Then repeating all is a good idea for vocal line, and in the end I expected again backing with maybe some highs but you did a good ol' copy&stereo so it sounds s little fetter but not too effective for the vocal ending.

ORGANIZED CONFUSION:

And last but not last important my faithfull companion in all collabs, organized! Let's see what we have here: Intro one word - excellent. The pure simpleness of those two notes ringing is brilliant and very effective. I have a felling I heard something similar before but hey - this is classic rock everything is played along before we were born. The lick after where you go to the root from that bend release is good but I suggest more practice on the bend. Must bend sharply to the pitch and go down precisely on the fret pitch so every note is heard precisely and clearly. That that little bending lick, first time on the root, second time up there on the octave root is very nice but sliding on the octave root and applying that vibrato was little clumsy. I know it's a difficult thing to do, there are different techniques involved, but even couple of hours of focused practice with that lick can make it pro sounding believe me. After that, those 16th note lick is effective, and great there, but then you went again to that root up there. Seems to me that after that 16th note lick you didn't know where to go and just get around in circles a couple of times. This can be fixed by finishing off on the other note except the root, some other strong note, third or fifth. Be aware during a solo always where you are heading - to what note. Second part of the solo is great, those repetitive licks really build up nicely, and melodic structure is simple but very effective. You have the talent for simplicity and quality, must work more on your expression. The ending is not too effective and this is again because you during those carried away moments you forget where you are heading. So more work on vibrato, and more work on the harmonic structure of the solo. First analyze from where to where you wanna go. Then, when you know that you have the talent to go through it nice and simple but effective.

OK people, thanks again a lot for participating to all, I hope to see you on future collabs too, playing variety of styles and together improving our soloing techniques! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  acdc_collaboration_final_mix.mp3 ( 3.11MB ) Number of downloads: 764

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 30 2008, 11:09 PM
Singing Instructor
Great collab guys.Ivan thanks for the advices,I will give it a tough for shore.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 1 2008, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
Priceless advice yet again that i will take on board and into my practicing. I really enjoy your collabs and this was another great backing and a great job to everybody. I will work on my vibrato and harmonic stuff. Thanks for the time spent on this and the great comments.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 1 2008, 02:37 PM
Instructor
No problem man, anytime ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 1 2008, 02:43 PM
It's a shame more people didn't take part in this one and the jazz one as in my opinion there is no better way to improve in soloing than continuously trying with different backings to create something interesting and also these two backings aren't normally what I'd play in my band so it gives me a great chance and others to branch out and yeah the first delve into Jazz maybe a bit poor but it means you've tried and you have something to work on so I advise everyone to join in collabs, especially the ones outside their usual styles and it will help them no end. I am very happy I decided to record something for your last 2 collabs smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 1 2008, 05:54 PM
Instructor
Thanks man it means a lot! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
May 1 2008, 10:19 PM
Great take guys, wink.gif . Now I am even more pissed of missing this one because my POD X3 USB interface went bad... mad.gif

You are the collab man, Ivan! Congrats!

This post has been edited by Gus: May 1 2008, 10:20 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Gilmore
May 1 2008, 10:50 PM
Great job everyone smile.gif

Thanks for the very useful comments Ivan, I will be focusing on the vibrato and bending next few weeks, I know I´ve not payed enough attention to it in the past. It would be great to have a detailed lesson on it someday, focused only on the vibrato. smile.gif

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 2 2008, 12:03 AM
Instructor
Will do man wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 7 2008, 12:12 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
thanks for your advices Ivan, i'm happy to be part of this collab .. it makes me want to do more collabs, even if i don't have time know because of exams :s
and about the runs .. actually i didn't have time to play it cleanly, i had to post my take before the deadline .. next time i'll play cleaner smile.gif

This post has been edited by Zizi Top: May 7 2008, 12:14 AM

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 7 2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor
Thanks you for participating, and see you on the next collab. Don't worry about runs, we don't need to practice our takes, just play along, I'll understand if you play something little unprecise. It's no big deal. Practice practice practice.... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 07:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great job everyone !! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 23 2008, 10:27 PM
Instructor
great works Guys

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 23 2008, 10:30 PM
nice job everyone smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 24 2008, 07:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Great entries here!! Nice job biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:23 AM