> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Vonhotch's Musical Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2013, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! This is a very interesting analysis because here the textures and atmospheres are what build the whole song. I like how you analysed it, it's very clear and I think that it allows you and every other person that hears the song to understand it deeply.
I'm very glad to know that you enjoyed this process and that you find it helpful. It's very important to keep on analysing songs to incorporate concepts for you own compositions. So.. let's continue with another song.. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 6 2013, 09:44 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Hey mate! This is a very interesting analysis because here the textures and atmospheres are what build the whole song. I like how you analysed it, it's very clear and I think that it allows you and every other person that hears the song to understand it deeply.
I'm very glad to know that you enjoyed this process and that you find it helpful. It's very important to keep on analysing songs to incorporate concepts for you own compositions. So.. let's continue with another song.. smile.gif

Cool. I am glad that you liked it. Is there anything else that you think I should be thinking about or missed? For my next song I would like to use another song by this band but it's not such an ambient style so I can compare simularities and differences in their approach to the different types of songs. What do you think of this one. May take me a bit longer to transcribe but I will get it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2013, 10:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 6 2013, 05:44 PM) *
Cool. I am glad that you liked it. Is there anything else that you think I should be thinking about or missed? For my next song I would like to use another song by this band but it's not such an ambient style so I can compare simularities and differences in their approach to the different types of songs. What do you think of this one. May take me a bit longer to transcribe but I will get it.

Well, the only thing that you could add to the analysis is the parts durations, maybe in time and also in measures. They keep everything short and I believe that this is the reason why you listen to this song lots of times and you always need more... (it's what happened to me).

This new song has more sections, it's interesting. Also it's very important to analyse many songs from your favourite bands, that when the comparison possibility starts to make sense.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 13 2013, 09:08 PM
Hey, man! I slowed this one down a bit to try and nail down the hand sync and timing. It's back at 75%.

This is up to 140 bpm. I went to play with the backing and realized it was a whole lot faster than I had thought. Gotta work it up a little more. smile.gif

And I have still been working the arpeggios. You said to find lines to connect them. This is a lick I came up with that connects a bunch of voicings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2013, 11:23 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! For any reason this connection is forbiden me to see youtube video.. it says something about SquidGuard. You know, I'm moving and Internet is being installed this Tuesday in my new place. By the way I will check these ones later today or tomorrow. sorry for the delay!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 14 2013, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2013, 10:23 PM) *
Hi mate! For any reason this connection is forbiden me to see youtube video.. it says something about SquidGuard. You know, I'm moving and Internet is being installed this Tuesday in my new place. By the way I will check these ones later today or tomorrow. sorry for the delay!

No worries, good luck with your move. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 13 2013, 05:08 PM) *
Hey, man! I slowed this one down a bit to try and nail down the hand sync and timing. It's back at 75%.

This is up to 140 bpm. I went to play with the backing and realized it was a whole lot faster than I had thought. Gotta work it up a little more. smile.gif

And I have still been working the arpeggios. You said to find lines to connect them. This is a lick I came up with that connects a bunch of voicings.

Hi mate! This place allows Youtube videos! biggrin.gif

You are doing a great job mate! The palm muting exercise could be practiced still slower, there is nothing wrong with your playing, you just need more days of practice... diary training. The second video is better, this one is very close. And the last one is VERY cool! I'm impressed if this is your first lick using the arpeggios concepts... it's time for creating solos! smile.gif

But first... you have to find the major chords and arpeggios, you have to find the 3rd and convert it to major on each shape. Do you think that you can do it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 15 2013, 02:45 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2013, 01:55 PM) *
Hi mate! This place allows Youtube videos! biggrin.gif

You are doing a great job mate! The palm muting exercise could be practiced still slower, there is nothing wrong with your playing, you just need more days of practice... diary training. The second video is better, this one is very close. And the last one is VERY cool! I'm impressed if this is your first lick using the arpeggios concepts... it's time for creating solos! smile.gif

But first... you have to find the major chords and arpeggios, you have to find the 3rd and convert it to major on each shape. Do you think that you can do it?

Thanks. I'm glad you my arpeggio lick. I will keep trying to improve it, and linking it to other stuff.

And........I got these major arpeggios. biggrin.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  02._A_major_arpeggios.gp5 ( 2K ) Number of downloads: 71

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2013, 06:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 14 2013, 10:45 PM) *
Thanks. I'm glad you my arpeggio lick. I will keep trying to improve it, and linking it to other stuff.

And........I got these major arpeggios. biggrin.gif

Great mate! I'll install GP in this computer in some minutes and I'll be back if there is something wrong with the arpeggios... but I don't think so... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 20 2013, 06:03 PM
Hey!!!! I slowed down this one a bit more to 75% from 80%. The last lick before the change from the G string back to D string gives me problems every time. I play it by itself 20x fine but always in the whole piece I miss it somehow. laugh.gif

And here is some major arpeggio practice. It was easier than I expected to change patterns. I thought I was going to keep forgeting and go back to playing minor ones all the time. Maybe that's what happens a little bit into the video. biggrin.gif

And I saw this quote somewhere this week reminded me of my practicing a little and why I like posting every week regardless of whether I think I have done anything better. I will have to remember it when I am feeling less than productive. smile.gif

"Those who succeed are the ones that look in the mirror and everyday and see no progress, but continue anyway, knowing they will get there eventually."

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2013, 03:38 AM
Instructor
That's a great quote! It's close to one that I wrote down in a paper and it's always close to my sight... "keep going"...those two words,,, it's quite simple, no matter what happens, you have to keep going... smile.gif

I was thinking on adding this lesson... what do you think?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Riff_Master-Thrash/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 21 2013, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 21 2013, 02:38 AM) *
That's a great quote! It's close to one that I wrote down in a paper and it's always close to my sight... "keep going"...those two words,,, it's quite simple, no matter what happens, you have to keep going... smile.gif

I was thinking on adding this lesson... what do you think?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Riff_Master-Thrash/

Short and to the point, I like it. I like to carry motivational stuff written down on paper with me too. Usually in my wallet and unfortunetaly my wallet has a tendancy to go through the wash with my pants, so my list gets rewritten often. biggrin.gif

As for the new lesson.....I AM ON IT! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2013, 11:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 21 2013, 01:08 PM) *
Short and to the point, I like it. I like to carry motivational stuff written down on paper with me too. Usually in my wallet and unfortunetaly my wallet has a tendancy to go through the wash with my pants, so my list gets rewritten often. biggrin.gif

As for the new lesson.....I AM ON IT! smile.gif

Perfect! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 22 2013, 02:41 AM
Hey, I want to get in on your new collab, and I have been trying to focus on my phrasing with the last couple. Over the Am - F - G - C - F - Dm - E progression does it work to jump between A minor pentatonic, F major pentatonic, G major pentatonic, etc... or a combination of that and arpeggios, or does it fit the style better to stick with one scale? I listened to some Priest the other day to try to get some ideas, are there any particular songs to get a good feel for the style? I have to admit NWOBHM is not something I listen to a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2013, 03:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 21 2013, 10:41 PM) *
Hey, I want to get in on your new collab, and I have been trying to focus on my phrasing with the last couple. Over the Am - F - G - C - F - Dm - E progression does it work to jump between A minor pentatonic, F major pentatonic, G major pentatonic, etc... or a combination of that and arpeggios, or does it fit the style better to stick with one scale? I listened to some Priest the other day to try to get some ideas, are there any particular songs to get a good feel for the style? I have to admit NWOBHM is not something I listen to a lot.

Yes! It's works, but the most important thing is to focus on the arpeggios of each chord, that's the key to make everything sound cool over that backing. Even playing just arpeggios work but it can sounds lazy if you don't compose something creative.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 27 2013, 06:19 PM
1 month...1 more month and I will be getting some new gear and hopefully put an end to these recording problems. Sometimes my camera will take decent video somtimes not. Fighting with it takes some of the fun out......New computer, video camera, monitors, and some headphones. I at least got one good one though. I have got this worked upto 160 bpm not perfectly clean but the backing is at 195! blink.gif Almost there.

Oh yeah and I know I named the video as the wrong thing. I don't know what I was thinking.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 22 2013, 02:08 PM) *
Yes! It's works, but the most important thing is to focus on the arpeggios of each chord, that's the key to make everything sound cool over that backing. Even playing just arpeggios work but it can sounds lazy if you don't compose something creative.

After learning some arpeggio shapes this is making sense. Thinking back on all the things you have told me about focusing on certain notes. Hopefully I can explain what I noticed, and is correct.
EXAMPLE : a backing of A Mixolydian like the chorus of GMC hit 2. If I apply the first arpeggio shape of A major into A mixolydian, it fits into a G Major scale shape. So I could play the first pattern and add in notes around it in the shape of a G major scale. Or the last shape fits into a B minor scale shape. Am I understanding this better? Did I explain ok?

I also changed the arpeggios into 7 string versions. Is that ok?

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Jan 27 2013, 06:20 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Amaj_7string_arpeggios.gp5 ( 1.97K ) Number of downloads: 62
Attached File  Am_7string_arpeggios.gp5 ( 1.97K ) Number of downloads: 60

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2013, 07:37 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that's a great decision! Having the equipment is shape and working will make you happier and more productive. smile.gif
Your take is good, you still have to practice it to improve your timing but you are on the right track on this lesson. Regarding the Mixolydian mode and the major arpeggios, I'm not really understanding what you mean in the Example, could you please explain it again? Thanks!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 27 2013, 08:38 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 27 2013, 06:37 PM) *
Hi mate, that's a great decision! Having the equipment is shape and working will make you happier and more productive. smile.gif
Your take is good, you still have to practice it to improve your timing but you are on the right track on this lesson. Regarding the Mixolydian mode and the major arpeggios, I'm not really understanding what you mean in the Example, could you please explain it again? Thanks!

I guess I never thought about how arpeggios fit into a scale, and thought about them as two seperate things. But the different arpeggio shapes fit into different scale patterns depending on the overall key or mode. I was noticing how to see the shape of the arpeggio within different scales, which will make it easier to target those notes while creating lines within the scale in the same position. Hope that makes more sense, I'm not so good at explain these things. smile.gif It's one of those things that when you see it you wonder why you didn't notice sooner.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2013, 09:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 27 2013, 04:38 PM) *
I guess I never thought about how arpeggios fit into a scale, and thought about them as two seperate things. But the different arpeggio shapes fit into different scale patterns depending on the overall key or mode. I was noticing how to see the shape of the arpeggio within different scales, which will make it easier to target those notes while creating lines within the scale in the same position. Hope that makes more sense, I'm not so good at explain these things. smile.gif It's one of those things that when you see it you wonder why you didn't notice sooner.

ahh yes! now it's clear. Yes, it's exactly how it works mate! smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ed-with-triads/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/aeolia...ed-with-triads/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/mixoly...ed-with-triads/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/dorian...ed-with-triads/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 29 2013, 02:14 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 27 2013, 08:16 PM) *

Sweet! Arpeggios seem to have made connections with a lot of the theory I already knew, but made it make more sense. I just learned most of my theory from reading articles and there was no real order in which I learned it.....Obviously I skipped the importance of arpeggios. biggrin.gif I think these lessons would be very good for me. Do you want me to work on them or should I get the major and minor arpeggios down first before moving on to these and 7th chord arpeggios? Or maybe I can add one in at a time? What do you think? What would you like me to do? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:26 PM