5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Updated Home Studio Pics Anyone?
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2020, 05:31 AM
GMC:er
NICE!! The UA is a killer interface to be sure. Can run hardware assisted versions of very high end plugins with neglible impact on the cpu. Nice setup!

Finally getting my home studio rig going again. I might swap out my hd monitor to a newer one.

Todd
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 3 2020, 01:21 PM) *
I finally had to get a home recording set up going.
Thankfully I can record my amps at home and I do have some decent mics. I was using a small pair of a studio monitors as stereo speakers so I re-purposed them back to their main purpose. I also have a good mic pre/EQ that I would take to sessions as well as a an older load box and a small modeler (Iridium).
What I really need is a more powerful computer laugh.gif

[attachment=50334:recrig.jpg]
[attachment=50333:quad6.jpg]

This is all literally in my garage.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2020, 05:33 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 4 2020, 03:47 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 3 2020, 09:31 PM) *
NICE!! The UA is a killer interface to be sure. Can run hardware assisted versions of very high end plugins with negligible impact on the cpu. Nice setup!

That was the initial attraction. That and also that it (UAd 'Arrow') comes with UAs daw and 12 free UA plugins. Their interfaces, even the bottom level model that I got, seem expensive initially but the ease of use and sound quality was what I needed to get up and running fast on my current and relatively low powered computer. With the DSP in the interface I can track with one or two fx or even an amp plugin with zero latency (1 or2 ms). Because I'm mostly recording my amps, I wanted the option of having various mic pres that I can record through and "print" with no latency via my dual core, i5 macbook.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 01:11 AM
Good call! smile.gif That's what is so cool about the UA interface. It offloads processing to the interface so you can still get top notch plugins with very little drag on the CPU. Using plugins like that in NATIVE form would require a lot more headroom on the cpu to keep it from glitching/laggin.

I finally added some headphone stands that mount to the wall.

HOW MANY FOLKS OUT THERE JUST TOSS THEIR HEADPHONES WHERE EVER THEY LAND?

Attached Image

These are cheap, about $5 each and can be mounted with screws or adhesive. Handy! Keeps them off the floor etc. and out of the way when not in use.

Also finally added a mini fridge and just put the printer on top of it. I almost threw the printer away, but now and then once just needs a printer.

Attached Image

IT's finally coming along. I'm tracking for a new project called ARKASA with my German friends that I met in a previous collab on the song MOMENTO MORI.

[Good quote name='klasaine' date='Jun 4 2020, 10:47 AM' post='778027']
That was the initial attraction. That and also that it (UAd 'Arrow') comes with UAs daw and 12 free UA plugins. Their interfaces, even the bottom level model that I got, seem expensive initially but the ease of use and sound quality was what I needed to get up and running fast on my current and relatively low powered computer. With the DSP in the interface I can track with one or two fx or even an amp plugin with zero latency (1 or2 ms). Because I'm mostly recording my amps, I wanted the option of having various mic pres that I can record through and "print" with no latency via my dual core, i5 macbook.
[/quote]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 6 2020, 01:12 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 6 2020, 01:52 AM
Well, I did stick a nail into the side of a table ...

Attached Image

Also, and probably only for folks in the States, these Monoprice headphones are pretty great for just $17 ...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323

Attached Image

Detachable cable too.
Monoprice has a lot of accessory type music/audio/video gear that's decent quality and at great prices.
It pays to order a few things as they don't do any free shipping.
https://www.monoprice.com/category/pages/13

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 6 2020, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2020, 03:00 AM
That is a great price for those cans. My cans with detacable xlr cables were almost $100 each. I think you paid less for your headphone stand as well wink.gif

One good thing about the move is I finally have decent Internet speed compared to where I was. I used to be thrilled with 40 Mbps downstream which now seems just awful. I've lived with crap internet for years.

Attached Image

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 5 2020, 08:52 PM) *
Well, I did stick a nail into the side of a table ...

Attached Image

Also, and probably only for folks in the States, these Monoprice headphones are pretty great for just $17 ...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323

Attached Image

Detachable cable too.
Monoprice has a lot of accessory type music/audio/video gear that's decent quality and at great prices.
It pays to order a few things as they don't do any free shipping.
https://www.monoprice.com/category/pages/13

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2020, 09:12 PM
BEN added a new GREEN SCREEN which is very cool. Some great looking home studios in this thread! These have come a LONG way from way back in the day! The community has come together and helped everyone to make a really nice home setup. Congrats to everyone who has build their own Home Recording facility!!!

CAN YOU GUYS SHOW YOUR PROGRESS OF YOUR HOME STUDIOS? I"D LOVE TO SEE IT!!

mine has changed a lot over the years.
Version 1
Attached Image
Verion 2
Attached Image
Version 3
Attached Image
Version 4
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2020, 08:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just a pic of my three monitor set up in the corner of my man cave

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2020, 03:38 AM
Spiff man cave!! For the modern musiican, the line between mancave and home studio can be a bit blurred smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 2 2020, 03:32 PM) *
Just a pic of my three monitor set up in the corner of my man cave

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 4 2020, 01:47 AM
It's not real clean and tidy like y'alls but it's getting the job done ...

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2020, 02:28 AM
BIg difference is that yours costs about twice what most of ours do just based on the NEVE looking piece and the UAD interface. That's some very nice gear! Not to mention the nice mics and guitars!

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 3 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Finally getting my FX/Rack hooked up as well. Sadly I can't find my wonderful Iconnectivity 4+ Interface!!!! I have ordered a 3rd gen scarlett to replace it. Had to send the 3rd gen solo back as I realized I need two xlr inputs, one for micing a cab and one for a vocal mic to make guitar vids.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 4 2020, 02:54 AM
The Neve looking thing is a 'clone' of a 1073 (Warm Audio WA273EQ) that I've had for awhile and relatively speaking, not expensive. I used to take that to sessions in home or small studios that didn't have much outboard gear. It's one of the most classic ways to treat a mic'd guitar amp. *It's great on vocals too ... anything really. The Two Notes Torpedo I got just before the lockdown. That is a cool piece of gear. I have all these great amps that I can once again crank up and play at midnight. And I have now discovered IRs. Yes, I know I'm totally late to the party laugh.gif Fun stuff!

I did buy a couple of mics - a condenser and a ribbon. I had a few mics from way back. A couple of 57s and an AKG C-1000 which I've found is great on acoustic.

Obviously, because I'm old, most of those amps and the guitars I've had for a long time. Seriously, I own gear that is considered "vintage" that I bought new.

But, I will need a more powerful computer if I want to do anything more than lay guitar parts on to other people's tunes. The reason I went with the Universal Audio interface is because it uses it's own DSP.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2020, 05:44 AM
The UA is a great choice for any studio imho. Great sounding unit and amazing sounding plugins. the good news on new computers is that prices are pretty low just now on just about everything since nobody seems to be buying anything as so many people are not working. If you go PC you can get a pretty powerful laptop for not much money. As a stop gap, you could always buy a "vintage" macbook air, anything 2012 or later for maybe $300 with eight gig of ram and a 128 gb ssd. It will run reaper/logic etc. Those machines are not that different, but for the video card, from the macbook air 13 that are on sale today. You can still buy the dual core i5 and same specs, it just costs wads more now. I bought an old macbook air with those specs as my backup incase my old 2012 macbook pro (which I built from parts) just bites the dust one day.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 3 2020, 09:54 PM) *
The Neve looking thing is a 'clone' of a 1073 (Warm Audio WA273EQ) that I've had for awhile and relatively speaking, not expensive. I used to take that to sessions in home or small studios that didn't have much outboard gear. It's one of the most classic ways to treat a mic'd guitar amp. *It's great on vocals too ... anything really. The Two Notes Torpedo I got just before the lockdown. That is a cool piece of gear. I have all these great amps that I can once again crank up and play at midnight. And I have now discovered IRs. Yes, I know I'm totally late to the party laugh.gif Fun stuff!

I did buy a couple of mics - a condenser and a ribbon. I had a few mics from way back. A couple of 57s and an AKG C-1000 which I've found is great on acoustic.

Obviously, because I'm old, most of those amps and the guitars I've had for a long time. Seriously, I own gear that is considered "vintage" that I bought new.

But, I will need a more powerful computer if I want to do anything more than lay guitar parts on to other people's tunes. The reason I went with the Universal Audio interface is because it uses it's own DSP.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 4 2020, 06:36 AM
Gonna stick with Mac but yeah, a refurb is probably the way I'll go.
Like I said, for what I need to do, my Mac is running fine. If I want to get into tracking and mixing more than just me - then I'll need more power.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2020, 10:00 PM
Has your mac given you the "out of resources" error when tracking? Looks pretty new. Have you had trouble tracking or mixing on it?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 4 2020, 01:36 AM) *
Gonna stick with Mac but yeah, a refurb is probably the way I'll go.
Like I said, for what I need to do, my Mac is running fine. If I want to get into tracking and mixing more than just me - then I'll need more power.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 6 2020, 07:03 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 5 2020, 02:00 PM) *
Has your mac given you the "out of resources" error when tracking? Looks pretty new. Have you had trouble tracking or mixing on it?

No. It's a 2017 mbp but it's only a dual core i5 with 8gb of ram ... and I can't add more, as what's there is soldered in.
I'm doing OK for now. The fans will spin pretty good when tracking for a couple of hours but if I point my portable AC unit right at it, it seems to handle everything a lot better.

+Quote Post
zen
Jul 6 2020, 11:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 20 2020, 07:56 AM) *
And a shot of my 7 string Ibanez smile.gif

[attachment=49834:imageedi...63520056.jpg]

What's the full model name/number of that Ibanez ? It's stunning. Would you recommend it ? Researching my first 7 string...

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 6 2020, 12:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (zen @ Jul 6 2020, 11:06 AM) *
What's the full model name/number of that Ibanez ? It's stunning. Would you recommend it ? Researching my first 7 string...

Hey Zen,

It's a limited edition run. The model name is RG752MFS VFD. There were only made 39 world wide, if I recall correctly. However you may be lucky to find one. It's a good guitar, but also a bit pricey and it does have one flaw that would make me hesitant in buying it - the fret markers are almost invisible and very difficult to see. They are abalone and on the neck you can barely see them.

smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 6 2020, 08:07 PM
Learning Roadie
sorry for sticking my nose so close in, is there a specific reason for putting that piece of cardboard under the mackbook and the interface? i thought it might be for insulation and avoiding circuit loops, but then i realized that the table is already made of wood so that got me wondering unsure.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 4 2020, 02:47 AM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Anese: Jul 6 2020, 08:08 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 7 2020, 12:57 AM
QUOTE (Anese @ Jul 6 2020, 12:07 PM) *
sorry for sticking my nose so close in, is there a specific reason for putting that piece of cardboard under the mackbook and the interface? i thought it might be for insulation and avoiding circuit loops, but then i realized that the table is already made of wood so that got me wondering unsure.gif

Ha, ha! No.
That table used to be, until the end of March, the "work bench" in my garage and I put that hunk of cardboard on it to protect the table from oil, solder, grease, solvent, screwdriver marks, etc. I can also write on it.
I just left it on there when it turned into my 'studio'. Mostly so I can scrawl notes to myself.
The photo makes it look grungier than it really is.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 7 2020, 12:58 AM

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 7 2020, 03:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the clarification, now i can rest in peace laugh.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 7 2020, 01:57 AM) *
Ha, ha! No.
That table used to be, until the end of March, the "work bench" in my garage and I put that hunk of cardboard on it to protect the table from oil, solder, grease, solvent, screwdriver marks, etc. I can also write on it.
I just left it on there when it turned into my 'studio'. Mostly so I can scrawl notes to myself.
The photo makes it look grungier than it really is.

This post has been edited by Anese: Jul 7 2020, 03:07 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:51 AM