Apprentice Bushido Task 17
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 11:12 AM
Instructor
It's that time of week you're all waiting for !!

Task 17: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-3/

Yes, that's right ! Just 1 week after I gave this very Task to the Warrior group, you yourselves are now tackling it ! It's not because I've run out of ideas - it's because you're ready to do it ! biggrin.gif

And do you know the fantastic thing ? They've already done this so you can look at their takes and take advantage !

One piece of advice that always helped me with vibrato on bending was this: I found that pushing the bend to pitch and then adding vibrato by releasing the string slightly and bending back up was preferable to pushing the bend to pitch and then pushing higher for vibrato. The first method sounds more natural and even wheras the second method doesn't suit melodic, slow playing that much. For out of control, hard rock and metal soloing it works but in slower tempo stuff, you run the risk of sounding out of key. smile.gif

Deadline is next Friday 25th May or I cut off your nose. Have a nice day smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 18 2012, 05:24 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Hey Ben,
it sounds great. But it seems to me there are some circular vibrato in there. And how shall I do that ? Donnut may not be for me, once again sad.gif
Cheers. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 18 2012, 06:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 18 2012, 05:24 PM) *
Hey Ben,
it sounds great. But it seems to me there are some circular vibrato in there. And how shall I do that ? Donnut may not be for me, once again sad.gif
Cheers. biggrin.gif

No you don't have to do circular vibrato ! smile.gif

Regular for the bent notes and either regular or classical for the non bent notes will do the job smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Greetings Disciples. I'm taking a stroll around The Temple and I thought I'd stop by and see how you were doing ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
May 25 2012, 03:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ben

Sorry I've had to leave the temple and go back to my village this week. I'm starting on the assignment now. This is good stuff so I'm keen to get something up by end of weekend. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 03:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ May 25 2012, 03:29 PM) *
Hi Ben

Sorry I've had to leave the temple and go back to my village this week. I'm starting on the assignment now. This is good stuff so I'm keen to get something up by end of weekend. smile.gif

Ok, but you understand that I have to take the nose anyway. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
May 25 2012, 10:15 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 25 2012, 04:41 PM) *
Ok, but you understand that I have to take the nose anyway. ph34r.gif

OK, it seems Zoom is trying to let me have a donnut. So I shal ltake it smile.gif And I like my nose smile.gif
But I'm not satisfied with this take. It still hurts my fingers and I can't practice very long...
Sorry Sensei Ben sad.gif

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/bens-vibrato-odyssey-3/s-UINZp

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 26 2012, 05:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ May 25 2012, 10:15 PM) *
OK, it seems Zoom is trying to let me have a donnut. So I shal ltake it smile.gif And I like my nose smile.gif
But I'm not satisfied with this take. It still hurts my fingers and I can't practice very long...
Sorry Sensei Ben sad.gif

http://soundcloud.com/grindguer/bens-vibrato-odyssey-3/s-UINZp

Hey Man, this is great ! The vibrato is top notch in my book so this is cause for a celebratory Donut ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
zoom
May 28 2012, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
Better late than never so they say but hey after listening to this this you may not agree! Struggling for time at the moment but still want to contiune on this awesome journey for donuts. biggrin.gif

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/vibrato-odyssey-3

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2012, 03:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ May 28 2012, 01:58 PM) *
Better late than never so they say but hey after listening to this this you may not agree!

laugh.gif You guys kill me !! tongue.gif

This was a good effort although I'm sure you know that a few of the notes were just a tad under pitch, so just push them a little bit further to get them in that sweet spot. The vibrato was good, I'm definitely impressed with how that's progressing so you can be pleased !!

The Donut race is getting interesting now !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
MossRoller
Jun 9 2012, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
Well here's my take.
Upon listening back, it seems that the vibratos are very light.
I also had to fight back the temptation to race right into a vibrato.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 9 2012, 08:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Jun 9 2012, 07:48 PM) *
Well here's my take.
Upon listening back, it seems that the vibratos are very light.
I also had to fight back the temptation to race right into a vibrato.

I really like this. I love the tone you're getting from that Strat (which is beautiful by the way), really sweet.

The vibrato maybe a little light on the classical vibrato bits but you're still learning that technique so don't beat yourself about that, it still sounds good. Vibrato doesn't always have to be heavy.

It's hard to get the bent notes to be exact isn't it ? I also had to do a few passes at this lesson when recording it and I don't mind admitting it. wink.gif But that's the only thing that one could criticise, the note pitch in places. Your vibrato is coming along nicely and I'm enjoying the journey ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:22 AM