> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Hungryforheaven's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2012, 06:06 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the update! Ok, so maybe we could look for some lessons that could be a previous step to then master these ones.

Let's add this exercises to your diary practice:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=42831

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry576899

I thinking on lessons for Sweep+ Alternate Picking but it seems that all the lessons are over level 7.. I'll be back with something.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 23 2012, 06:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thank you! I have tried these Gilbert type licks before, but have never come to a point where I feel comfortable with outside picking. Every time that I cross strings with an outside motion, it feels like I have to move a mountain. It totally breaks the flow. I don't know, really, should I video myself doing outside picking both ways at various speeds (and various hand positions/pick angles) and perform a deep analysis of the hand motions? Or just keep doing what I do until it feels good?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 22 2012, 05:06 PM) *
I thinking on lessons for Sweep+ Alternate Picking but it seems that all the lessons are over level 7.. I'll be back with something.

Let's do this: I compose something involving sweep picking on different numbers of strings, make a simple backing track, and record at a speed that I am comfortable with, and we'll see if you have any tips along the way before I move on.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Oct 23 2012, 02:35 AM) *
Thank you! I have tried these Gilbert type licks before, but have never come to a point where I feel comfortable with outside picking. Every time that I cross strings with an outside motion, it feels like I have to move a mountain. It totally breaks the flow. I don't know, really, should I video myself doing outside picking both ways at various speeds (and various hand positions/pick angles) and perform a deep analysis of the hand motions? Or just keep doing what I do until it feels good?

Let's do this: I compose something involving sweep picking on different numbers of strings, make a simple backing track, and record at a speed that I am comfortable with, and we'll see if you have any tips along the way before I move on.

yes, Outside picking is usually more difficult and that's because you have to do an extra movement to cross the strings... I think that if you can post a video as your said we will be able to analyze your motion.

Also, let's go for your idea!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 24 2012, 06:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ok, so I wrote this little etude yesterday, and I also made a simple backing track with drums, bass and keyboard.

Attached File  Sweep_Exercise.pdf ( 393.94K ) Number of downloads: 277

It has the basic chord progression Em-Am-D-G-B-C-D-Em, same in "verse" as in "chorus". The first 8 bars (first "verse") have 3 string sweeps, the next 8 bars have 5 string sweeps. Second time around, the 3 string sweeps are combined with 2 string sweeps, while the 5 string sweeps stay the same. Then there is a freestyle section, where I can improvise over the chords for 16 bars, and the last round has some tapping incorporated in the 3-string stuff.

Each group of 8 bars (with exception of the solo section) has the same picking pattern repeated each bar.

I will try to record it at a decent tempo and post it here.

Also, I will try to post something that shows my hand motion for alternate (outside) picking.

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 24 2012, 07:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
Oh, and what about the previous ones? Should I keep practicing your power metal lesson? Should I record Alex's 7ths sweeps?
I should try to be way more organized and keep track of progress etc, but I just can't get myself to arrange it to happen.. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2012, 06:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Oct 24 2012, 02:19 PM) *
Ok, so I wrote this little etude yesterday, and I also made a simple backing track with drums, bass and keyboard.

Attached File  Sweep_Exercise.pdf ( 393.94K ) Number of downloads: 277

It has the basic chord progression Em-Am-D-G-B-C-D-Em, same in "verse" as in "chorus". The first 8 bars (first "verse") have 3 string sweeps, the next 8 bars have 5 string sweeps. Second time around, the 3 string sweeps are combined with 2 string sweeps, while the 5 string sweeps stay the same. Then there is a freestyle section, where I can improvise over the chords for 16 bars, and the last round has some tapping incorporated in the 3-string stuff.

Each group of 8 bars (with exception of the solo section) has the same picking pattern repeated each bar.

I will try to record it at a decent tempo and post it here.

Also, I will try to post something that shows my hand motion for alternate (outside) picking.

Hi mate! Great job with that exercise! It seems to be very useful. I'll wait for the video to hear it over the backing! smile.gif

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Oct 24 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Oh, and what about the previous ones? Should I keep practicing your power metal lesson? Should I record Alex's 7ths sweeps?
I should try to be way more organized and keep track of progress etc, but I just can't get myself to arrange it to happen.. dry.gif

yes, I think that the best is to incorporate all the lesson into your diary routine, at least play them once (if you already mastered it), and also record yourself playing Alex's lesson. Once you have enough lessons learnt that cover the different techniques, your diary routine will be much funnier.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 14 2012, 03:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gabriel!

I need your help. I want to create a stricter practice program. As of now, it feels as there are too many topics to focus on, from your suggestions and new lessons popping up and collaborations that seem way too cool to be missed. Unfortunately, I couldn't post any take for your Modern Metal collab, since I had no ideas left. I sat with the backing track and tried to jam something up, I looked at the videos you posted in the style for inspiration, but I got nothing into my head except phrases I have already used a million times. sad.gif

I would like fewer but more specific things to work on every session. Preferrably not covering the whole session, since I would also want to have time for "noodling" (or I would get too bored). Maybe a rolling schedule, focusing on, say, alternate picking for two sessions alternated with two sessions focusing on sweep picking, or something similar? Something with measurable progress would be good, too. Would you like to help me setting up such a practice schedule? smile.gif

I know, I owe you some videos. They are still part of the plan, and will appear sooner or later.

H

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 14 2012, 05:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yes! I want to help you with this! How many hours a day can you practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 14 2012, 05:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great! I can spend at least one hour most days, more on weekends if I am at home but occasionally less on weekdays.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 14 2012, 07:25 PM
Instructor
Ok.. so we should divide it in four segments that you will practice every day...

(5 minutes - Warming up + Stretching)

15 minutes - Alternate picking
15 minutes - Sweep Picking
15 minutes - Learning triads/arpeggios/licks (to make your guitar vocabulary grow)
15 minutes - having fun with guitar

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 14 2012, 07:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks, man! I'm gonna start the first session right now, and will let you know in a few days what is going on.

H

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2012, 11:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 14 2012, 03:35 PM) *
Thanks, man! I'm gonna start the first session right now, and will let you know in a few days what is going on.

H

Excellent! How it was? What did you practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 24 2012, 12:12 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have played through this programme about 5 times. Now, after not being able to play at all for a few days, I plan to return to business.

In the Alternate Picking section, I focus on outside picking which is still my arch enemy. I play repeated Gilbert type licks, with and without speed bursts. First with bursts, a 5/4 rhythm with two repetitions at normal speed followed by one at double speed. I step up the metronome until the bursts are too fast. Then I switch to a normal 4/4 rhythm and do the same without the speed bursts, step up until I can't handle it anymore. I'm thinking that it might be a point in doing it in reverse order; when it gets too fast, I step down but increase the top speed. I think I will try that today.

Sweep Picking. First, I play Alex's 7th arpeggios over backing track, gradually increasing the tempo. As I mentioned before, the lesson is not optimal for sweep picking practice since the picking pattern is "broken" in the middle. However, it is a very good lesson to rub in the 7th shapes. Then I switch to my own etude, I play it a few times at 150bpm over backing track.

Lick Library. I have practiced a lick that I picked up from Ben's video chat last week, it mixes legato and picking in a nice way. Also some other legato licks, for instance the ultra-fast lick from the Michael Schenker lesson (I have many bpms to catch up there). I try to play this lick higher up the neck, to avoid the big stretch - previously, I have experienced problems with my left index finger after practicing this lick for too long; I think it had to do with not resting enough between repetitions. I sometimes feel that 15 minutes is not enough for these, I may make it 20 minutes when I know I have time for it.

Having Fun. I use these 15 minutes to play through lessons that I have learned before, such as Power Metal Soloing, Move Your Little Finger, Triplet Etude, Horizontal Arpeggios. I have also experimented with alternate picking the sweep patterns in my etude, to see if it helps my outside picking of "smaller" shapes. I actually find it rather exhausting even at low speeds; I see that as a good thing, though, since it has to mean that I need to practice it more. Maybe I should incorporate it in the warm-up routine.

Since I can usually play more than this hour, I save the freestyling/noodling for after this programme.

I should also mention the following: I recently discovered that if I turn my picking hand so that I pick a little bit more from above the strings, the outside picking seems to flow somewhat smoother. I can't tell yet whether or not this is revolutionary for my picking, I need a bit more time to practice picking this way. It does feel a bit unnatural still, and since I normally sit down when I play I may need to change position somehow in order not to get problems with my shoulder. Or practice standing up, but it is inconvenient in several ways.

About the British Metal collab. I would definitely like to submit something. I don't have many ideas, but could we perhaps try to work out something in this thread? The backing is a bit short - it might seem paradoxal that I would like a longer backing track when I have no ideas, but some melodies might need more "time to grow". I'm thinking harmonies á là Maiden or Priest here.

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 28 2012, 10:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 24 2012, 12:12 PM) *
About the British Metal collab. I would definitely like to submit something. I don't have many ideas, but could we perhaps try to work out something in this thread? The backing is a bit short - it might seem paradoxal that I would like a longer backing track when I have no ideas, but some melodies might need more "time to grow". I'm thinking harmonies á là Maiden or Priest here.

Never mind this, I am about to come up with something.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 28 2012, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Hi HFH!! Thanks for this complete report! I'm proud of you mate! You are doing doing a great job, not only practicing in a well organized way, you are very focused on improving the small aspects of your technique to get better and better. I think that your guitar program is great by now and that you should work on this for at least 15 days more... then we could switch some exercises / lessons. I'm curious about the new hand position and if it finally helps your outside picking... let me know!

and now I'm anxious to hear your take for the collab!! smile.gif

Keep on the hard work and keep me updated!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:37 PM