Guitar Rig 2
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 03:03 AM
GMC:er
I have myself a copy of Guitar Rig 2, and plug my guitar into the front panel of my SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty, which is fine for simply playing. However, recording is a different matter. Getting Guitar Rig to work with Cubase is just a crazy mist of menus and workarounds, and I was wondering if there's a better application to use Guitar Rig with, or a better pair of applications or single application that modulates guitar effects and has multi-track recording capabilities.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 13 2008, 03:42 AM
Instructor
There's always Reaper. I dont have much experience with it, but i think that reaper is quite simple and hasslefree to set up.

But.. I've used GR2 in Cubase alot, and i dont really see where the work is.
It takes 2 clicks to get it loaded on a track or as a FX-track.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 03:44 AM
Really? Do you fancy telling me what those two clicks are, as I've had oodles of trouble with it, and it's very annoying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 13 2008, 03:54 AM
Instructor
There's 3 ways of doing it:
1. If you want to just process a recorded wave, rightclick on it, go to plug-ins, and find guitar-rig.

2. If you want to add a guitar-rig directly on a track so you can change the sounds later if you want, you go into the "inserts" menu, click on the black field under "i1", and find guitar-rig in the menu.

3. You can add a FX-track and then adding 1 instance of guitar-rig on as many tracks you want. Add a fx-track where you would add a audio or midi track, select guitar-rig from the menu, then go into the "sends" menu of a track, rightclick, and add the guitar-pro FX track.

Ok.. might be more than 2 clicks all in all smile.gif But it's done in seconds.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bali
Apr 13 2008, 03:57 AM
First,
you should install GR2 as a VST and not only as a standalone application (this options are given to you when you install the software)

Then in cubase insert an audio track project>>add track>> audio
Select the track, select Inserts, click on any of the of the 8 insert channels and select GR2 from the drop down menu

easy!

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 03:58 AM
Ah, I wasn't installing it as a VST - excellent, thanks for the tip. I'll back up my soundbanks and give that a try tomorrow.

Many thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 13 2008, 03:59 AM
Instructor
Ah.. I didnt think of that smile.gif

--------------------

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bali
Apr 13 2008, 04:03 AM
I would insert GR in the inserts channel more than in the sends channel (the send ch are used more for post processing)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 13 2008, 04:11 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I see you got the help you needed smile.gif

GR2 is a great tool, I've used it earlier...

You can get some great sounds with it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 04:14 AM
Yeah, I've been playing with it for around a year now. It's pretty awesome - though you can't really appreciate the sound you get out of it as much as you can from standing infront of a big stack and just playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2008, 01:08 PM
Instructor
ALso you can add and insert onto your Input channel in CUbase mixer, so you have your effects real time if your card can push it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 13 2008, 05:59 PM
Singing Instructor
I know this has nothing to do with your problem..but shortcuts that can help you a bit...for insert VST instrument(GR for example) you pres F11,and for your effects,you can press F3, and mixer will shove up,there you can insert plug ins in to chanells you want....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 13 2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the tips. I love keyboard shortcuts wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor
I think Guitar Rig is not a VST it is effect.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 14 2008, 04:25 PM
QUOTE (Bali @ Apr 13 2008, 03:57 AM) *
First,
you should install GR2 as a VST and not only as a standalone application (this options are given to you when you install the software)

Then in cubase insert an audio track project>>add track>> audio
Select the track, select Inserts, click on any of the of the 8 insert channels and select GR2 from the drop down menu

easy!

Okay, I have done exactly this with a fresh install of Cubase and Guitar Rig, and when I select Guitar Rig from the drop down, I don't get an effect and I get one hell of a lot of feedback.

I imagine my system is capable of handling the effects in real time, so how do I go about adding Guitar Rig to the mixer?

I'm thinking once I've done this it might be a good idea to save it as a default project so that I don't have to repeat these steps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 14 2008, 04:39 PM
I use GR2 with Sonar and it works great. All our EP was done using GR2. For our album we are recording properly though and mic-ing up amps.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 15 2008, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Sonar to hand.

How easy is it to get Guitar Rig 2 working with it - and do you get the real time effects processing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Apr 15 2008, 05:41 AM
I remember it being quite easy to do, but I use Ableton with PODx3 now....so I can't remember.
Good luck!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Apr 17 2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the bump, but is there any chance of getting some help with this? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:39 PM