2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tripeggio Descending Shapes (tripeggio Lick) Lick), Quick Licks #20 (Arpeggio Lick)
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2018, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
#20 Tripeggio Descending Shapes (Tripeggio Lick)

INTRO:
This is is a "TRIPEGGIO" or in other words, it's partly and Arpeggio lick and partly a Triad lick. Each position consists of a Triad that we are going to do a "Mini Sweep" on and it will sound like a arpeggio lick. We are going to move down the neck and use two different shapes. This will be done in the minor scale but it can be applied to any scale. Take the scale generator and pick any scale in any key and look for triad shapes and build your old! For the purposes of leveling up, you need only play the lick here as written. Make sure to use two DOWN STROKES and to HAMMER ON with the pinky. The only tricky bit is that we will use two double taps with the pinky then one tap. Try to use your pinky if at all possible. If you can't it's ok, just use any fingers that will work and try to work in the pinky later. This is a great drill for getting your pinky to be strong and faster. Once you can do double taps with your pinky, you are in good shape smile.gif

Here is the tablature. As always, start SLOW, don't worry about playing this fast. Just focus on playing it CLEAN Speed is a byproduct of precision. Just like previous quick licks, this lick works as a warmup, practice and solo lick. Don't over stress on getting it just right, or fast enough. This is just about learning the lick. Once you have it you can start it anywhere on the neck to play it in any key.

*NOTE:
I'm using my first finger on my left hand to slightly press against the first string in order to mute it. You need the A string to resonate enough for the pinky tap to be heard so don't over mute with your right hand.

Attached Image

Attached File  20.gp5 ( 2.28K ) Number of downloads: 120

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is not connected to a backing track. You can play it with a backing track if you like. Anything based in the key of E should work just fine. For our purposes here, just playing with a metronome or click track is more than fine

BTW:
The shape change make take your hand a moment to get used to.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2018, 01:02 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 24 2018, 10:25 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!!! I cannot see the video so I improvised!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 25 2018, 02:01 AM
You've got the idea soldier but what is your guitar tuned to? It sounds like the first note in the Triad is off pitch? Are you tuned to an open tuning on your low strings or something? Sorry about that video issue! I fixed it so now you have a good vid reference. I'd say watch the vid and give this one more go and make sure your tuning is set to standard.

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 24 2018, 05:25 PM) *
My take Sarge!!! I cannot see the video so I improvised!

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 25 2018, 10:12 AM
Experienced Rock Star
You are right Sarge! I was in drop D while practicing a lesson and forgot to retune to standard!!!
My retake!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 26 2018, 04:15 AM
There ya go!!! I thought it sounded just a bit off the first time, figured it was an open tuning thing smile.gif No worries! Your second take is SPOT ON!!! Also you made great use of PINKY POWER. This type of lesson will show you if you have any gaps in your PINKY ability which, sadly, most folks have HUGE gaps in their ability with the runt finger. As a result, folks often shy away from pinky heavy licks/drills. Not so with you! Jumped right in and then right back in for round two! You've got very solid technique here and very good timing. This bit is all about the two down strokes and pinky. Two down strokes is another thing that I've seen many folks struggle with. You seem to have a really good handle on it. The Pinky Hammer on / Pull Off is a challenge as you are not picking anything, it's pure PINKY POWER. You killed it!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd

[

quote name='George Hlio' date='Mar 25 2018, 05:12 AM' post='757510']
You are right Sarge! I was in drop D while practicing a lesson and forgot to retune to standard!!!
My retake!

[/quote]

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2018, 06:01 PM
Did this one seem overly hard? I"m planning on doing a modification of this one without the double/double/single hammer on so hopefully it won't be too much smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 31 2018, 08:59 PM
Experienced Rock Star
At a slow to moderate speed is actually bery manageable Sarge! But when I raise the speed is actually a lot more difficult! But it is a great exercise for technique and can lead to awesome riff building!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2018, 05:12 AM
You did a fine job of it! keep working on this one and you will get some serious speed going. The new one is also based on this same idea!!

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 31 2018, 03:59 PM) *
At a slow to moderate speed is actually bery manageable Sarge! But when I raise the speed is actually a lot more difficult! But it is a great exercise for technique and can lead to awesome riff building!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Apr 4 2018, 08:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
oops!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 5 2018, 11:18 PM
Perfect!! You nailed it. The only diff on the next one is that we add one more note (with the pinky). This one is great practice for the next one. You could just jump in on the next one, or even do it first, either way is fine. But you have a very strong foundation for it now that you have done this one. This TRIPEGGIO shape is a great way to add a sweep texture to your guitar solos. You seem to have a very good handle on it. Two down strokes, not extra string noise, all of it done is perfect synch/rythm. In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!! ( I have you as level 9, let me know if I've missed one!)
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Apr 4 2018, 03:42 PM) *
oops!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 24 2018, 10:37 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2018, 07:37 AM
The pace on this is perfect. This is the same speed I'm playing it at in the demo, the only difference is that you are picking the pinky note. That's the only thing so far in 20 plus of these that wasn't perfect. I guess it had to happen some time smile.gif since it's a tripeggio, you hammer/pull with the pinky sorta like you might do in a arpeggio sweep lick. I do demo it as a picked lick and you nailed that completely, but the tab and the main bit of this is to do it as a tripeggio. Once more in to the breach!!

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 24 2018, 05:37 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 6 2018, 11:41 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2018, 05:22 AM
It's all PERFECT but for one little miniscule detail. In the Tab, the "Double Tap" happens twice at each position, and the single tap, happens once, so it's Double Tap, Double Tap, Single Tap, Switch Position, and repeat. You've got the technique down to perfection. Your pinky power is there, just take one more peek at the tabs and you've got this!!

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 6 2018, 06:41 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 7 2018, 05:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
See, the problem was I looked at the tab the first time around, which doesn't show the hammer on tongue.gif Anyway, you're right, I missed that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 7 2018, 07:50 PM
Good catch! Fixed it. It's now set to look more normal smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 7 2018, 12:45 AM) *
See, the problem was I looked at the tab the first time around, which doesn't show the hammer on tongue.gif Anyway, you're right, I missed that smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 7 2018, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
May 8 2018, 12:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here you go, Todd:

Let me know if that corrected the issue smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2018, 07:55 PM
BINGO!! That's it exactly smile.gif The big thing I"m looking for is the econ picking and the pinky hammer/pull. You nailed em both and were not even using much gain. This one requires folks to use the weakest finger for a hammer/pull without the use of a pick. Ideally all of your fingers should be able to hammer/pull a scale/pattern so that you don't really need the pick. The pick becomes a choice of sonic texture rather than something you have to have to make the strings vibrate.

Very fine technique all around. Muting, synch, pinky power, it's all there. Sorry I kept kicking this one back! I wanted you to get it perfect smile.gif And you did!!!! So congrats. You just ..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 8 2018, 07:58 AM) *
Here you go, Todd:

Let me know if that corrected the issue smile.gif

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 01:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Lick 20

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2018, 03:23 AM
Almost!! The pinky hammer on pattern is 2, 2, 1. So two hammer ons with the pinky, another two, then one before movin to the next position. It would be much easier if it were just 1 or 2 each and every time. I intentionally designed the lick like this so that it's not symmetrical. It sorta feels wrong and wonky. It's these asymmetrical licks that are giving you the most trouble and so these are the ones that have the most potential for growth!! Part of the reason I built these is to allow players to dig in to their technique and find spots that need work. So don't let it throw you off. These are supposed to be challenging and supposed to show you where there are bits of your playing that could use work. We are isolating the parts of your playing that need a bit of work and I"m sure you are going to plow through it!!
No need to rush this one. Play it slowly and under control One more time!!
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 08:55 AM) *
Lick 20

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM