Scales Best Suited For Oriental Sound
The Uncreator
Oct 19 2007, 10:36 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hey Andrew, got a quick question, im no music theory genious, so i was hoping you could tell me scales that would help me get a good Oriental/ Asian culuture sound, i know a few patterns that i use to get it, but i figure theres got to be scales that could enhance my sound on this. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 19 2007, 08:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hmm, good question ...

I always think that pentatonic major sounds vaguely orientel - Japanese in fact.

Harmonic Minor

Phrygian Dominant is used to devastating effect by Muris on his album and in his recent lesson, and is mode V of the harmonic minor scale. Also, take that and make the minor 7th a Major 7th and you have an interesting scale that I don;t know the name of off the top of my head. Lets call it Phrygian Major Major 7th (Phrygian major is another name for phrygian dominant, we are removing the dominant and making it a major 7th)

The thing that really makes scales sound oriental is unusual intervals. We are very used to half and whole steps in scales - thething that is common to all of the above is that they have larger steps at points in the scale which makes them sound interesting. In fact its probably worth checking all the modes of the harmonic minor scale to see if any of them are of interest - the harmonic minor has that 3 half step interval in it and playing that in different places in the scale by using its modes could give you some interetsing sounds, this is why Phrygian Dominant sounds cool.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 19 2007, 09:03 PM
Alright thanks for the info wink.gif

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 19 2007, 09:07 PM
Instructor
I think the new instructor Hisham can tell you alot about this topic smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 19 2007, 10:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Uncreator,
In addition to the sound of some of the modes there are a number of Oriental/Asian: Hirajoshi (1 2 b3 5 b6 8), Kumoi (1 2 b3 5 6 8), In (1 b2 4 5 b6 8) are 6 note Japanese scales; Bhairava (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7 8), Pooravi (1 b2 3 sharp4 5 b6 7 8) Marava ( 1 b2 3 sharp4 5 6 7 8 ), Kanakangi (1 b2 bb3 4 5 b6 bb7 8) are Indian scales, Pelog (1 b2 b3 5 b6 8) is a Balinese scale.

With the Indian forms you might also want to look at ragas (John McLauglin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra is a great inroad here). I'm sure there are some specific Chinese scales but I've never seen any specific formula. For oriental music a lot of Olivier Messiaen's chamber and orchestral music is influenced by Japanese and Balinese music. Toro Takemitsu is a world reknowned Japanese classical composer (and one much admired by one of our instructors smile.gif ) but it's also worth looking at Akira Ifukube and Yoko Kanu. Recent Chinese - Tan Dun is maybe one of the best known. It's worth listening to a range here IMO as it helps a Western 'ear' get used to the different tonalities used.

Cheers,
Tony

ps apologies to Kosei and Vinod (and indeed anyone else) if I've got spellings wrong above.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 19 2007, 10:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 20 2007, 12:07 AM) *
I think the new instructor Hisham can tell you alot about this topic smile.gif

Yeah i was sure hed post

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 20 2007, 05:52 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 19 2007, 01:23 PM) *
Hi Uncreator,
In addition to the sound of some of the modes there are a number of Oriental/Asian: Hirajoshi (1 2 b3 5 b6 8), Kumoi (1 2 b3 5 6 8), In (1 b2 4 5 b6 8) are 6 note Japanese scales; Bhairava (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7 8), Pooravi (1 b2 3 sharp4 5 b6 7 8) Marava ( 1 b2 3 sharp4 5 6 7 8 ), Kanakangi (1 b2 bb3 4 5 b6 bb7 8) are Indian scales, Pelog (1 b2 b3 5 b6 8) is a Balinese scale.

With the Indian forms you might also want to look at ragas (John McLauglin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra is a great inroad here). I'm sure there are some specific Chinese scales but I've never seen any specific formula. For oriental music a lot of Olivier Messiaen's chamber and orchestral music is influenced by Japanese and Balinese music. Toro Takemitsu is a world reknowned Japanese classical composer (and one much admired by one of our instructors smile.gif ) but it's also worth looking at Akira Ifukube and Yoko Kanu. Recent Chinese - Tan Dun is maybe one of the best known. It's worth listening to a range here IMO as it helps a Western 'ear' get used to the different tonalities used.

Cheers,
Tony

ps apologies to Kosei and Vinod (and indeed anyone else) if I've got spellings wrong above.

Excellent, just what im looking for, thanks for the info! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Oct 22 2007, 02:13 PM
Classical Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 19 2007, 05:23 PM) *
Hi Uncreator,

Cheers,
Tony

Wow, you are so informed. Not many Japanese peoplea are familiar with Japanese scales. I know how they sound, but I didn't know how they called.

Thanks!

KK

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Dec 26 2007, 10:34 AM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 20 2007, 03:23 AM) *
Hi Uncreator,

Cheers,
Tony

Poorvi not Pooravi & Marvi not Maravi mad.gif
Just Kidding (but it should be like Poorvi and marvi). laugh.gif
There are many Scales in Indian Raag Music.Glad to know you know some of them Tony smile.gif

This post has been edited by Vinod: Dec 26 2007, 10:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:29 AM