Scalloping My Fretboard
Vaidya
Nov 26 2010, 04:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys
I'll be getting a new guitar soon.I've been reading about scalloped fretboards and im quite interested in them.I understand they have advantages as well as certain disadvantages.I am planning to scallop the fretboard on my Ibanez GRG170DX.Just in case you guys are wondering why i'm going to spend a hefty amount on scalloping a basic guitar,it actually costs very little to scallop.I read that it costs about $150-200 but i'm getting mine done for like $40,not from an average luthier.These guys have been making custom string instruments for nearly 40 years.
You can get a good custom-built guitar from them for about $100.I'm not kidding

Anyway,what do you guys think? Should i get mine scalloped or not?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 26 2010, 11:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Why not try? You can never know until youve tried. smile.gif
Why not do it yourself? I scalloped my morgan stratocaster myself, was a lot of fun even though I am NOT a handy man, and it didnt turn out perfectly, but it was fun, and plays great smile.gif

If 40$ is not much for you, and thats all he wants, that sounds great, go for it. If you dont like it, you can sell it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 27 2010, 02:05 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I scalloped frets 15-24 on one of my Ibanez's, Like it a lot like that. The whole fretboard I cant stand, it just doesn't work well with the music I play.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Nov 27 2010, 04:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
I never tried a scallop a fretboard but I will love to..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Nov 27 2010, 07:26 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 26 2010, 10:55 PM) *
Why not try? You can never know until youve tried. smile.gif
Why not do it yourself? I scalloped my morgan stratocaster myself, was a lot of fun even though I am NOT a handy man, and it didnt turn out perfectly, but it was fun, and plays great smile.gif

If 40$ is not much for you, and thats all he wants, that sounds great, go for it. If you dont like it, you can sell it smile.gif

Cant afford to mess it up laugh.gif .Its the only guitar I have

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gary
Nov 27 2010, 08:09 AM
GMC:er
I have two stats.. one is an orig 70's model with a regular neck and the other is a new Malmsteen strat and its scalloped. It took me awhile to get used to it but after a couple months I stopped picking up my old guitar and now play the Malmsteen pretty much exclusively. The biggest advantage is that you gain a great deal of control over bends and vibrato.

The funny thing is that if you were to pick up a scalloped guitar and try it for five minutes its likely you would not be sold on the feel of it. It takes awhile but once you adapt to it's likely you would prefer it over a regular neck.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Gary

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Nov 27 2010, 11:39 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok,I have given it for scalloping.Will get be getting it on thursday.
One more thing,what gauge strings would be best? Till now,I've been using 8.Which would be the closest to 8 as well as being suitable for a scalloped fret board?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gary
Nov 27 2010, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
You will find that the guage of strings seem smaller than their actual size on a scallped fret board. Bending strings is also much, much easier because you do not have the friction of the fret board to contend with. My guess is that 8's are going to feel to thin and you will likely want to move to 9's.

Gary

This post has been edited by Gary: Nov 27 2010, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2010, 08:25 PM
Instructor
Hey that's a nice option to have some (or all if you prefer) frets scalloped! smile.gif Could you put some pictures up once it's back? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Nov 30 2010, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Definitely.Getting it tomorrow! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:38 AM