4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Andrew's Theory Lessons, Read this if you are a newcomer!
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 30 2007, 03:50 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hello, and welcome to Andrew's Theory Lessons!

Over time I am hoping that this will become a complete theory course that will enable players of all levels to learn all they need to know about theory to support their guitar playing.

If the list of lessons looks a little daunting, here is how I suggest you read them, starting with the simplest first. I have also categorised them in terms of dificulty level. Some lessons are in the planning stages and not yet complete, but I'll list those as well so that you can see what is coming next, and I'll keep this list updated over time.You can click on the titles to go straight to the lesson itself.

If you are more experienced, feel free to dive straight in to the lessons that interest you the most!

I'm also happy to do requests, so if there are any parts of musical theory that interest you and you would like a lesson on, let me know on the main theory board.

Happy theory learning cool.gif

1. Guitar Parts (Beginner)
  2. Theory Basics for Guitar (Beginner)
  3. Reading Music - Tabs and Music Notation (beginner)
  4. How Can I Tell Which Key a Song is in? (Beginner)
  5. Reading Scale Diagrams
  6. Introduction to Scales (Beginner)
  7. The Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scales(Beginner)
  8. The Major Pentatonic Scale (Beginner)
  9. Major Scales 101 (Beginner)
  10. Minor Scales 101 (Beginner)
  11. Writing Solos
  12. Intervals, Triads, Chords and Harmonies (Intermediate)
  13. Arpeggios 101
  14. The Circle of 5ths (Intermediate)
  15. Chords for Scales (Intermediate)
  16. CAGED (Intermediate)
  17. Time 101 (Intermediate)
  18. Ear Training (Intermediate)
  19. Moving the boxes (Intermediate)
  20. Breaking out of the boxes (Intermediate)
  21. Harmonics (Internediate)
  22. Modes 101 (Advanced)
  23. Minor Scales Revisited (Advanced)
  24. Complex Harmonies (Advanced)
  25. Three notes per String Scales (Advanced)
  26. Exotic Scales (Advanced)
  27. Theory Features (Advanced)

Oh - and don't miss Vinod's sight reading course.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 04:47 PM
GMC:er
why are some of them not clickable?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 17 2007, 05:10 PM
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Jul 17 2007, 11:47 AM) *
why are some of them not clickable?

As I said in the post, I haven't written them all yet!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 17 2007, 05:10 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 05:17 PM
ah thanks so much

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
fire
Aug 1 2007, 02:12 PM
checked some until now, can only say : great job!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
megadeth1117
Aug 25 2007, 10:29 AM
hey, i don't mean to rush you seeing you are very busy with the other lessons, but do you have an idea when the "writing solos" part will be finished

thanks in advance smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 25 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for asking - I'm still thinking about that one so it is unlikely to be the next one or two ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
n0x
Aug 25 2007, 12:25 PM
ahhh man, wicked stuff andrew! It is 7.30am here, and I told myself that I would sleep around 4, except that I found this section and I have been reading for about 5 hours now biggrin.gif... I do not want to see how my eyes look >_< ;p... Thank you for all your hard work on this, it is extremely beneficial, for all of us. biggrin.gif!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 25 2007, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Aug 25 2007, 07:25 AM) *
ahhh man, wicked stuff andrew! It is 7.30am here, and I told myself that I would sleep around 4, except that I found this section and I have been reading for about 5 hours now biggrin.gif... I do not want to see how my eyes look >_< ;p... Thank you for all your hard work on this, it is extremely beneficial, for all of us. biggrin.gif!

Wow, reading it all at once will make you go blind blink.gif glad you liked it though smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
coxy81
Sep 8 2007, 03:18 PM
Well tonights been about 4.5 hours of reading and practice on the scales and modes. The hands are getting sore, but i want to keep going. These theory lessons on scales and modes have been of GREAT help. Thanks Andrew!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jammer91
Sep 8 2007, 08:05 PM
Just what i was looking for. This should be in the main page...

Thanks big time, now its more organised instead of the old blind fold pick-n-choose

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 17 2007, 12:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Andrew, it would be nice if you updated this thread with each new lesson you add. I mean you do it up in the list, but just an edit, and beneath it add what lesson you added on the date. I mean I think I've read all of them but I don't want to miss anything tongue.gif Just a thought.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 17 2007, 03:52 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 17 2007, 07:42 AM) *
Andrew, it would be nice if you updated this thread with each new lesson you add. I mean you do it up in the list, but just an edit, and beneath it add what lesson you added on the date. I mean I think I've read all of them but I don't want to miss anything tongue.gif Just a thought.

ok - always willing to help avid theory fans smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 6 2007, 05:20 AM
I thank you Andrew. I have just been recently trying to better my playing by learning theory. I have 4 days of free time every week and this might fill the gap for a while.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
jammer91
Oct 17 2007, 04:25 AM
Andrew u forgot to add a link to the CAGED lesson

EDIT: Sorry you did, my bad.

This post has been edited by jammer91: Oct 17 2007, 04:26 AM

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 21 2007, 06:09 AM
Just Added a new Guitar Parts Lesson - aimed at beginners, it helps to identify different parts of the guitar and goes over a few common guitars.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 5 2007, 12:28 AM
Just added lessons on the Harmonic and Melodic minor scales

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Francisca
Nov 13 2007, 11:16 PM
thanks so much for putting together these theory lessons Andrew. They're great. I've learned a lot in little time, and with the index it's easy to find what I need. Tops!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 13 2007, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Francisca @ Nov 13 2007, 05:16 PM) *
thanks so much for putting together these theory lessons Andrew. They're great. I've learned a lot in little time, and with the index it's easy to find what I need. Tops!

Glad you like them Francisca smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
fgdvir
Nov 19 2007, 11:05 AM
Thank you SOOO much.
I had Problem with the theoty lessons because I know the besics' and I didn't know how to find execly what I wanted, until now!..

thanks

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:33 PM