Chapman Guitars
liveOASISforever
Jan 12 2014, 10:58 AM
GMC:er
Chapman guitars started a few years ago with a guy named Rob Chapman who is a guitarist and a guy Lee Anderton who is a guitar shop owner in England. The first guitar was collaboratively designed with his fans through a voting system on his website.The guitars are made out of good materials and are sold at a great price due to there being no middle man.

Now Rob Chapmans guitars will have a stand at the NAMM show 2014. In this video he shows some new guitars that will be there on show.There is a couple of 7 string guitars that his fans have being really looking forward to and Keith Merrow helped design.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Mertay
Jan 12 2014, 12:49 PM
I'm looking at the Andertons website and comparing the prices with ibanez, Jackson, Charvel etc. stuff and seems there is still a serious competition (at least on paper). Anyone here tested one of these guitars?

Some inside info; where I live we have a few big stores (which are actually companies) that are distributors of big brands. One of them decided to take a similar approach and created their on brand of guitars that were affordable...

I got a lot of inside info as its really not that hard to create a brand as long as you have the money smile.gif just find a factory in China, give them the spec.s and order a few hundred guitars and the rest is around a 4-6 months arrival time smile.gif the thing is (at least the company here did this) they sold guitars that were made 20 dollars each for 150-200 dollars.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 12 2014, 02:32 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 12 2014, 11:49 AM) *
I'm looking at the Andertons website and comparing the prices with ibanez, Jackson, Charvel etc. stuff and seems there is still a serious competition (at least on paper). Anyone here tested one of these guitars?

Some inside info; where I live we have a few big stores (which are actually companies) that are distributors of big brands. One of them decided to take a similar approach and created their on brand of guitars that were affordable...

I got a lot of inside info as its really not that hard to create a brand as long as you have the money smile.gif just find a factory in China, give them the spec.s and order a few hundred guitars and the rest is around a 4-6 months arrival time smile.gif the thing is (at least the company here did this) they sold guitars that were made 20 dollars each for 150-200 dollars.

I have the original ML2 which I absolutely love.After the first two guitars were released ML1 and ML2 the production was moved to Korea as the quality was very inconsistent. There is a big difference in quality in the guitars now. There has being some special guitars that have being built in the UK also

The korean ML1 was nominated for the best electric guitar in 2013 by guitarist magazine.

The idea from the start from Rob and Lee was not to try and make lots of money from this. They thought it would be a cool idea and the initial run on these guitars was limited to only a few hundred.The cost in making them certainly cost more than $20. They did not make a loss on these guitars or neither make a large profit out of them.

Over the last 5 years there has being a lot of interest in his guitars .So where it started off as a cool project for a bit if fun it has turned into a small guitar company.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 12 2014, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Very interesting story! I would be curious if Darius could tell us a bit about Hufschmidt Guitars and their story?

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 12 2014, 05:00 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 12 2014, 03:43 PM) *
Very interesting story! I would be curious if Darius could tell us a bit about Hufschmidt Guitars and their story?

Yeah Cosmin I would love to hear more about Hufschmidt guitars from Darius to. They are amazing looking and sounding guitars smile.gif

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Jan 12 2014, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 13 2014, 10:39 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 12 2014, 01:32 PM) *
I have the original ML2 which I absolutely love.After the first two guitars were released ML1 and ML2 the production was moved to Korea as the quality was very inconsistent. There is a big difference in quality in the guitars now. There has being some special guitars that have being built in the UK also

The korean ML1 was nominated for the best electric guitar in 2013 by guitarist magazine.

The idea from the start from Rob and Lee was not to try and make lots of money from this. They thought it would be a cool idea and the initial run on these guitars was limited to only a few hundred.The cost in making them certainly cost more than $20. They did not make a loss on these guitars or neither make a large profit out of them.

Over the last 5 years there has being a lot of interest in his guitars .So where it started off as a cool project for a bit if fun it has turned into a small guitar company.

I don't want to be a cynic but how much does Anderton pay in advertising a year to Guitarist magaine/future music?

I know people that have had Guitarist magazine offer to do reviews of their guitars for a certain amount of advertising space being bought over a year

John Suhr did the China thing with the Rasmus brand but being John Suhr he sent people over to teach the factory new techniques that he wanted used, gave very high quality standards in terms of materials and finish etc and then they plek'd each one and did the final set up in the Suhr factory.
It didn't last long as it just didn't turn out to be cost effective.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 13 2014, 10:40 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 13 2014, 12:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
My guitar is also a custom brand that my local guitar shop produces. From what I know, they're not cheaply built budget guitars, and they can basically give you a lot more bang for buck because; 1. There is no middle man, 2. You're not passing for a brand

Its a very nice guitar, it has a set-thru, flame maple top and custom Tesla VR-Nitro pickups. I picked it up for $700 and couldn't be happier. I reckon if it feels right when you play it, that's all that matters (apart from the price, of course biggrin.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 13 2014, 02:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 13 2014, 09:39 AM) *
I don't want to be a cynic but how much does Anderton pay in advertising a year to Guitarist magaine/future music?

I know people that have had Guitarist magazine offer to do reviews of their guitars for a certain amount of advertising space being bought over a year

John Suhr did the China thing with the Rasmus brand but being John Suhr he sent people over to teach the factory new techniques that he wanted used, gave very high quality standards in terms of materials and finish etc and then they plek'd each one and did the final set up in the Suhr factory.

Interesting story.. We also have a factory here in Romania - Reghin is the name. They used to make good guitars back in the 70s/80s, but it has been forgotten and I think it would need an investment and an illuminated head who can make things happen again. If i would have money and a bit more experience in the field, I would bring in the right people to restart things with that brand.

I own a 1976 Gibson copy (acoustic) which was fabricated at Reghin to be exported back then and it's an outstanding piece of gear...

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 13 2014, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 13 2014, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 12 2014, 01:32 PM) *

Thanks for the details smile.gif don't get me wrong as I sure can't comment on a guitar brand I haven't played before, at least for the looks though that ML-2 Classic is very cool. I guess they are the only sellers in England then as they are looking for partners in USA.

About the magazine or adds thing, its pretty well known how these magazines work and nominate but end result is the player liking the guitar when he plays it.

I'd say they need more time to prove themselves and their products, usually the used prices determines this like Fender/Gibson having an advantage at that area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 13 2014, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 13 2014, 09:39 AM) *

Yeah a never really thought about it like that.

A have heard of the Rasmus brand but I don't know to much about it. Whats the story with it now are they still being made.

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 13 2014, 11:06 AM) *
My guitar is also a custom brand that my local guitar shop produces. From what I know, they're not cheaply built budget guitars, and they can basically give you a lot more bang for buck because; 1. There is no middle man, 2. You're not passing for a brand

Its a very nice guitar, it has a set-thru, flame maple top and custom Tesla VR-Nitro pickups. I picked it up for $700 and couldn't be happier. I reckon if it feels right when you play it, that's all that matters (apart from the price, of course biggrin.gif)

You are completely right there mate.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *
Interesting story.. We also have a factory here in Romania - Reghin is the name. They used to make good guitars back in the 70s/80s, but it has been forgotten and I think it would need an investment and an illuminated head who can make things happen again. If i would have money and a bit more experience in the field, I would bring in the right people to restart things with that brand.

I own a 1976 Gibson copy (acoustic) which was fabricated at Reghin to be exported back then and it's an outstanding piece of gear...

Its really sad to see something that was good end up that way Cosmin. It would be really nice to see the factory getting brought back to what it used to be like.

When did you get the 1976 Gibson copy guitar Cosmin.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 13 2014, 02:02 PM) *
Thanks for the details smile.gif don't get me wrong as I sure can't comment on a guitar brand I haven't played before, at least for the looks though that ML-2 Classic is very cool. I guess they are the only sellers in England then as they are looking for partners in USA.

About the magazine or adds thing, its pretty well known how these magazines work and nominate but end result is the player liking the guitar when he plays it.

I'd say they need more time to prove themselves and their products, usually the used prices determines this like Fender/Gibson having an advantage at that area.

No problem. A think they have got a couple of other countries selling for them but they were struggling with America.

Yeah a would definitely give a good few years yet to see how things progress.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jan 13 2014, 10:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like his YouTube channel with the fellow from andertons music store, they do good reviews there.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
lothomer
Jan 13 2014, 11:16 PM
Allright Dudes, next week i'll be at NAMM14. Best thing i will give them a try and check out those guitars. If there is interest i will post some pics and news from NAMM14 here in the gear-board. Maybe its interesting to post something about unknown and small guitarcompanys and not so much about the big brands, as far as you can read that in every guitarmag. Any interest?

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 14 2014, 12:26 AM
Yeah usually the more interesting stuff (guitar or non-guitar based) is harder to find based on popularity, take lots of photos please biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 14 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 13 2014, 09:15 PM) *
Its really sad to see something that was good end up that way Cosmin. It would be really nice to see the factory getting brought back to what it used to be like.

When did you get the 1976 Gibson copy guitar Cosmin.

Aye man.. I know it is - I've seen the factory 3 years ago when I passed by that area - it's somewhere in the northern part of the country.

I received that guitar as a gift from one of my father's friends (he used to play jazz/folk) when I turned 18.. I have never touched an acoustic guitar of that quality and that fit my hands so well, back then. The neck and string action felt like an electric guitar - much easier to play than the acoustics that I had tried back then. It is currently in the workshop of the luthier that takes care of my guitars - he will prepare it a bit as it has a crack which endangers her existence..

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 14 2014, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 12 2014, 04:43 PM) *

You wish You have it smile.gif

To be honest Hufschmid is not something we usually consider as "company". Patrick is one and only person who builds those guitars. He has and access to some very rare salvaged woods and other, premium grade wood. He build's his guitar by his own hands (no CNC). He loves what he does and he never save money on parts quality. He also convinced Kent Armstrong to make a pickups for him personally. As far As I know it's Kent himself who wound them in U.S.A (not his son in England or the factory, Korean production. Patrick has nothing to hide about the wood quality (some trademarks don;t want to answer the questions about would grade). Also...he does his guitar form solid pieces of wood - one per neck and one per body. He hardly ever makes more than 1 guitar per month. He's convinced that is a time needed to make things precisely with no mistakes and all details finished perfectly.

Hufschmid likes simple constructions, natural finish and...he's not a custom shop. You can't order any guitar You like. He has his few models and that's it smile.gif

He makes living form this job and takes only as much money as he usually have to pay for his bills wink.gif Unfortunately something weird happened with Swiss Frank few years back and now those guitars look very expensive. But Swiss exchange value affected that feel. Comparing to other prices in Switzerland his prizes are pretty reasonable. But worldwide not every one could afford for sure...

As for the Chappers...I hadn't had any single one in my hands so hard to say anything. I can only say I meet Patrick through one of Chappers competitions smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 14 2014, 05:52 PM
QUOTE (lothomer @ Jan 13 2014, 10:16 PM) *
Allright Dudes, next week i'll be at NAMM14. Best thing i will give them a try and check out those guitars. If there is interest i will post some pics and news from NAMM14 here in the gear-board. Maybe its interesting to post something about unknown and small guitarcompanys and not so much about the big brands, as far as you can read that in every guitarmag. Any interest?

That would be really cool man. Looking forward for your pictures smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 14 2014, 07:35 AM) *
Aye man.. I know it is - I've seen the factory 3 years ago when I passed by that area - it's somewhere in the northern part of the country.

I received that guitar as a gift from one of my father's friends (he used to play jazz/folk) when I turned 18.. I have never touched an acoustic guitar of that quality and that fit my hands so well, back then. The neck and string action felt like an electric guitar - much easier to play than the acoustics that I had tried back then. It is currently in the workshop of the luthier that takes care of my guitars - he will prepare it a bit as it has a crack which endangers her existence..

I hope your guitar luthier can do a good job on fixing the guitar. It seems like it means a lot to you smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 14 2014, 02:40 PM) *

To be honest Hufschmid is not something we usually consider as "company". Patrick is one and only person who builds those guitars. He has and access to some very rare salvaged woods and other, premium grade wood. He build's his guitar by his own hands (no CNC). He loves what he does and he never save money on parts quality. He also convinced Kent Armstrong to make a pickups for him personally. As far As I know it's Kent himself who wound them in U.S.A (not his son in England or the factory, Korean production. Patrick has nothing to hide about the wood quality (some trademarks don;t want to answer the questions about would grade). Also...he does his guitar form solid pieces of wood - one per neck and one per body. He hardly ever makes more than 1 guitar per month. He's convinced that is a time needed to make things precisely with no mistakes and all details finished perfectly.

Hufschmid likes simple constructions, natural finish and...he's not a custom shop. You can't order any guitar You like. He has his few models and that's it smile.gif

He makes living form this job and takes only as much money as he usually have to pay for his bills wink.gif Unfortunately something weird happened with Swiss Frank few years back and now those guitars look very expensive. But Swiss exchange value affected that feel. Comparing to other prices in Switzerland his prizes are pretty reasonable. But worldwide not every one could afford for sure...

As for the Chappers...I hadn't had any single one in my hands so hard to say anything. I can only say I meet Patrick through one of Chappers competitions smile.gif

Thanks for the info Darius smile.gif

I heard on one of Chappers videos that he makes them by hand.I think thats what makes them so special.You know a lot of hard and skilled work has went into making one.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 14 2014, 11:10 PM
Instructor
Indeed that's how it is smile.gif Also some of luthiers like Hufschmid are cool because they become Your friends and give a regular support. Maybe I can't find a right words but hope You know what I mean. Most of the huge companies hire "social media dudes". Many of them just do the promo but hardly play guitar or have idea what is exactly going on inside the instrument. With people like Patrick You can count on the answer from the builder himself smile.gif That's very cool. We keep regular contact since at least Two years smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 14 2014, 11:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jan 13 2014, 09:24 PM) *
I like his YouTube channel with the fellow from andertons music store, they do good reviews there.

yeah, I watch Chappers youtube stuff as well, they make some really good videos. He can certainly play biggrin.gif

I'd like to try out his guitars, I like the LP style ones.

This post has been edited by bleez: Jan 14 2014, 11:23 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 15 2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Those are profits of having or being employed in the music shop smile.gif You have an access to a lot of stuff to try before You buy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 15 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 14 2014, 02:40 PM) *

Sounds like the genuine kind of job smile.gif Very nice and inspiring story.. I also know that the prices in Switzerland are not as nice as in other places laugh.gif

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 14 2014, 04:52 PM) *
I hope your guitar luthier can do a good job on fixing the guitar. It seems like it means a lot to you smile.gif

Aside from the fact that it means a great deal to me.. it's a piece of Romanian craftsmanship heritage - It's my duty to take care of it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:04 PM