What Is The Dimension Of Your Hand, Strictly for guitar playing convenience.
RobM
Sep 24 2007, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
I know some of you have huge hands. I want to compare my left hand to yours to see where I fit in as a guitar player for ease of playing/covering the fretboard due to the size of my hand.

My hand is approximately:

left hand: Across: 4.2 inches or 10.66 CM
Little Finger 2.5 Inches or 6.35 CM
Ring Finger: 3.2 inches or 8.12 CM
Middle Finger: 3.4 Inches or 8.63 CM
Index Finger: 3.3 Inches or8.38 CM
Span from Tip of Thumb to tip of little finger: 9.1 Inches or 23.11 CM

Some times i have too much time on my hands, laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by RobM: Sep 24 2007, 02:09 PM

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capn' Jef
Sep 24 2007, 02:14 PM
Metric and imperial...wow.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 24 2007, 02:21 PM
QUOTE (Capn' Jef @ Sep 24 2007, 09:14 AM) *
Metric and imperial...wow.

Told you I have too much time on my hands some times, laugh.gif that and a back that don't let me sleep but a few hours a day. mad.gif

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 24 2007, 02:40 PM
Learning Roadie
It'd be nice if you could take a picture and edit in showing exactly what you measured. For example, for the "across" part, did you measure from the far end of the pinky to the far end of the index finger, or did you include the thumb? etc.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 24 2007, 03:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't have all that time on my hands but a quick measure in the metric system I can do
When masuring the fingers I measured from the line where the finger meets the hand, in the center of the finger. Hope that was the same cos measuring from the "swim skin" in between the fingers give a different result (longer fingers)

RobM's measures within the parathesis.

left hand: Across: 9,4 (10.66) CM
Little Finger 6,2 (6.35) CM
Ring Finger: 7,9 (8.12) CM
Middle Finger: 8,6 (8.63) CM
Index Finger: 8,0 (8.38) CM
Span from Tip of Thumb to tip of little finger: 22,2 (23.11) CM

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 25 2007, 02:41 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 24 2007, 09:40 AM) *
It'd be nice if you could take a picture and edit in showing exactly what you measured. For example, for the "across" part, did you measure from the far end of the pinky to the far end of the index finger, or did you include the thumb? etc.

OK here goes,

Left hand Across: measured from back of hand with hand laying flat and not spread from the LH side to the RH side.

All fingers are measured from the line where they meet the palm to the tip of the finger while hand is laying flat with pal, facing up.

Span is measured from tip of thumb to tip of little finger, hand spread out as wide as it will go.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 24 2007, 10:46 AM) *
I don't have all that time on my hands but a quick measure in the metric system I can do
When masuring the fingers I measured from the line where the finger meets the hand, in the center of the finger. Hope that was the same cos measuring from the "swim skin" in between the fingers give a different result (longer fingers)

RobM's measures within the parathesis.

left hand: Across: 9,4 (10.66) CM
Little Finger 6,2 (6.35) CM
Ring Finger: 7,9 (8.12) CM
Middle Finger: 8,6 (8.63) CM
Index Finger: 8,0 (8.38) CM
Span from Tip of Thumb to tip of little finger: 22,2 (23.11) CM

Looks like you got it right in spite of my vague directions.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 25 2007, 06:03 AM
Ok I'll play!

across 8,9 cm (10.66)
little finger 6,4 cm (6.35)
ring finger 8,1 cm (8.12)
middle finger 8,8 cm (8.63)
index finger 7,8 cm (8.38)
span 24cm (23.11)

I wonder what someone like Hendrix, Vai, or Buckethead who all have freakishly large hands would get. From what I could see in pictures, Buckethead's last two joints of his pinky are quite a bit longer than the width of his guitar neck at the 24th fret, and he plays on a modified extra large guitar.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 25 2007, 07:52 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Had to borrow my daughter's ruler rolleyes.gif .

Mine are (assuming I'm doing this right) all in cms:

Across - 9.8
Little finger - 6.0
Ring - 7.9
Middle - 8.4
Index - 7.3
Span - 22

I have small hands.

Another test - starting at the 10 fret with index holding down high e, b and g strings- what stretch can you make using your middle on b and pinky on high e so that all the notes can sound clean if played individually? ie mine is:

(just showing top three strings)

I M P
----10--------------20---------------------------------------
----10------13/14-----------------------------------------------
----10--------------------------------------------------------

This is on a Gibson scale btw.

Cheers,
Tony

ps = please don't strain your hand doing this

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 25 2007, 08:46 AM
I got big hands. tonymiro if you got small hands. YOu must have done something wrong. Because my hands are big compared to most guys!! I used the computer to do calculations for me. So all I had to do was put in the inchs.

There is CM's, and Inchs Im pretty sure I did this Right!!

Across - 11.43 (4.5 inchs)
Pinky - 6.99 (2.75 inchs)
Ring - 8.26 (3.25 inchs)
middle - 8.89 (3.5 inchs)
Index - 7.62 (3 inchs)
Span - 24.13 (9.5 inchs)

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 25 2007, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 25 2007, 03:46 AM) *
I got big hands. tonymiro if you got small hands. YOu must have done something wrong. Because my hands are big compared to most guys!! I used the computer to do calculations for me. So all I had to do was put in the inchs.

There is CM's, and Inchs Im pretty sure I did this Right!!

Across - 11.43 (4.5 inchs)
Pinky - 6.99 (2.75 inchs)
Ring - 8.26 (3.25 inchs)
middle - 8.89 (3.5 inchs)
Index - 7.62 (3 inchs)
Span - 24.13 (9.5 inchs)

How old are you Ryan?

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 25 2007, 10:04 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 25 2007, 04:02 AM) *
How old are you Ryan?

Why?

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 25 2007, 10:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 25 2007, 01:01 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 25 2007, 05:04 AM) *

Why?

Just wondering if you had stopped growing or not yet. My oldest who is 20 now hasn't stopped growing yet, he's like 6'3" tall and when he was 18 he was only 6'1", he's been averaging 1" a year since 18. When he was in high school one summer he grew like 4". He went from being shorter than me to being taller than me in the matter of 3 months. Now I just call him Sir, lol.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 25 2007, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 25 2007, 07:01 AM) *
Just wondering if you had stopped growing or not yet. My oldest who is 20 now hasn't stopped growing yet, he's like 6'3" tall and when he was 18 he was only 6'1", he's been averaging 1" a year since 18. When he was in high school one summer he grew like 4". He went from being shorter than me to being taller than me in the matter of 3 months. Now I just call him Sir, lol.

lol, im only 5'11" and like 2 quarters. ALMOST 6 FOOTS. I think im done now, but will see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 1 2007, 05:36 AM
buckeyhead and paul gilberts got like 10 foot long fingers and thunmbs

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:35 AM