Have you had formal lessons for guitar?
Yes [ 21 ] ** [41.18%]
No [ 30 ] ** [58.82%]
Total Votes: 51
Guests cannot vote 
AIB234
Jul 7 2008, 12:20 AM
GMC:er
I was wondering what users and instructors here have had formal guitar lessons and who has not?

For formal training I'm interested in serious lessons not I took lessons for two weeks and stopped because my teacher sucked. More along the lines of I've studied for a longer period of time with my teacher and I've learned techniques and theory with them not just jammed and learned songs.

The reason behind it is that I'm finding I don't have much discipline at all and I'm beginning to want to try and find a real life teacher I can go see every week who will challenge me to learn new techniques and theory.

I've gotten a few instructional videos like Rock Discipline by Petrucci, and the Metallica DVDs by Lick Library, and I want to be a good guitarist, but when I look at solos and try to learn them I just get discouraged and then stop trying to learn them because it seems fruitless!

Other thoughts are more than welcomed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 7 2008, 12:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
I had a teacher but he sucked and I surpassed him while learning from GMC so I stopped after a few months...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 7 2008, 12:38 AM
Instructor
I've never taken any formal lessons. I had around 4-5 40 minute learning-sessions with a really great player in the very early 90ies though, but nothing apart from that.

I managed to learn most of what i know by myself, but that approach has left me with a few bad playing habbits that i'm still trying to get rid of smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2008, 01:46 AM
Moderation Policy Director
I took classical guitar lessons for around 8 years at school - learned a lot of theory and was generally immersed in a music scene, played in school concerts etc - was a great way to learn!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 7 2008, 10:49 AM
Instructor
I never had formal music education, not school, not private.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 7 2008, 11:18 AM
Lets go fishing!
I had private lessons for a year, with the help of GMC I also surpassed him after 6 months. The best thing I ever did for myself was quit and take my studys in my own hands smile.gif

This is only true because there are no instructors like the ones on GMC in my area, if there had been I would still be taking private lessons smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 7 2008, 11:27 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
No formal teaching for me, I learnt from books, video`s and tapes, learning songs & solo`s by ear and playing along with my favourite bands/songs, I`ve also been involved in a band in one form or another after I had been playing for 18 months, for me I think this is what helped me the most, as Andrew posted earlier, immersing yourself in a music environment early on really helps and pushes you on further imo.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 7 2008, 12:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
No formal lessons for me either - books, internet, videos.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jul 7 2008, 12:18 PM
Get to da Chopper!
When i took music last year in school- they wouldnt teach me much theory-wise (i still knew nothing), only cadances and also some relative minor/major stuff, also seeing what key a song is in by the sharps/flats. Literally all we'd do is listen to baroque music and try to reckognise what instruments were playing.

Very very boring year that was.

They also referred me on to a guitar teacher to prepare for the practical exam, he hand me a sheet of paper with loads of chords and asked me to learn them. I photocopied them and never returned- if that is what teaching is all about then im surprised if theres ever been a student that learned.

I still have that shord sheet tho wink.gif

Hopefully this winter i will be joining the likes of Gen (aswell as others i hear) and be taking an hour long guitar lesson with Paul Gilbert as part of his VIP ticket offer. Still waiting for my confirmation email though mad.gif

http://www.paulgilbert.com/viptickets.html

But i've learned what i know from videos, cds, books, the internet and sometimes other musicians too.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 7 2008, 12:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Actually - come to think of it, I've had "some" kind of formal lesson. I went to a "music" kinda school for a year - though it was merely music at all. You could choose guitar lessons, but I chose piano and singing lessons. The latter helped me a lot (on hitting the notes) - my vocals is still worse than anything you could imagine. We did have some classes where we played several different songs - though mostly pop and soft rock songs, or even funk. I'd either play guitar, bass or keys on that one. Sometimes backing vocals. We also had classes on Odd meters, a very little theory and such. So still - nothing formal on guitar.

By the way - to embarass myself, here is a recording of me singing - it's three years old though, and I haven't done anything at all concerning singing since then. (This ain't gonna get a topic of it's own, as I'm just trying to smuggle it into some conversation, as I don't want it to get THAT much attention rolleyes.gif )

Attached File(s)
Attached File  enigmatica2.wav ( 513.26K ) Number of downloads: 161

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jul 7 2008, 01:19 PM
I've had formal classical guitar lessons for about 4~5 years now and I aint quiting them.
But it's true that you learn waaay more from books and GMC, but I now I finally got a good guitar teacher who doesn't make me do the same thing for months, so it's like meeting a GMC instructor biggrin.gif

But still I'd say that I learned 75% of my guitar stuff from GMC and books and 25% from formal lessons laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jul 7 2008, 01:52 PM
no, but I want to as soon as possible.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
flamen
Jul 8 2008, 12:30 AM
I had some brief lessons ages ago, but for the price I felt it wasn't really worth it - i was learning more at home with books/internet.

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jul 8 2008, 12:41 AM
I you get a good instructor they can provide you with some very very important information. Sometimes I find applying principals from a book to be difficult.....I go see my teacher... he explains the part I dont get and provides me with some lessons containing examples. I go about my business until I cant wrap my brain around something again.

The circle continues.

I truely think that a Good teacher is worth the time and money.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 8 2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor
I head 4 years of formal music training in Music High School
and 1 year at Music Academy.
The problem is,whole system is old Russian so I didn't
learn a lot about contemporary music,actually I learned nothing about it.
It's mostly Baroque,Classical period etc.
But I learned how to read notation,lots of basic music theory,
also Solfeggio (which I found like most important class) and some other things.

As for todays music,guitar and playing,
I've learned from tapes,listening,some old VHSs and of course using
the internet A LOT lately. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 8 2008, 04:08 AM
i took lessons for 2 years n learned chords scales songs etc, basic stuff. it was good start but gmc helped me learn more faster n better.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jul 8 2008, 04:39 AM
I took lessons with Dave Weiner for 3 months.. (Guitarist for steve vai)

Boy were they helpful. If you ever need a serious instructor really trying to help you out.. Check him out..

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jul 8 2008, 04:39 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jul 8 2008, 08:10 AM
Instructor
I took piano lessons for a long time and I studied classical guitar with a teacher for about 3-4 years.
For electric guitar I took some lessons from Thomas Englund (Evergrey) for two months or so smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Strungout180
Jul 8 2008, 08:26 AM
I did when I first started playing a few years ago, and will probably start doing so again in the fall. As great as the instructors and videos are here theres somethings that I feel I just learn better face to face.

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
chmilew
Jul 8 2008, 08:56 AM
I took guitar lessons for one year at a local Yamaha Music School, but i stopped when I've begun physics studies.
Now I'm just learning with GMC and I have improved my guitar skill wayyy fast.

BTW Thanks to all the people here who have helped me a lot since I joined GMC and who keep helping me.

I love you all ! wub.gif wub.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:05 AM