#36 Pinch / Squeal Harmonics, Dime/Zakk Style Pinch Harmonics on the fly
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2018, 07:53 PM
GMC:er
INTRO
In this QUICK LICKS we are going to work on "PINCH HARMONICS" also known as "PINCH SQUEALS". Some folks like ZAKK WYLDE and DIME have used this technique to great effect and are well known for it. We are not talking here about using the bell like harmonics where you don't fret a note but glance off the string while striking. The ones we are talking about here are fretted and there is some vibrato as well. The vibrato makes the the entire thing stand out more and ring out better. If you don't use any vibrato or bending, the "Pinch" will not sustain very long. You can use your Whammy/Trem with this technique if desired, however, we are not going to cover that today. This is about doing the actual Pinch itself and sticking the landing, as it were. Nothing sounds worse than going for a Pinch Harmonic and missing it completely. It draws attention to itself in a very bad way and it's easy to tell that one just missed ones intended lick. To wit, we are going to put the Pinch in the context of a simple riff and repeat the pinch as we move down the neck and alternate with an open string. This will give you practice in "Sticking the landing". E.G. Hitting your pinch "On the Fly" as God intended. You should not have to stop what you are doing and prepare for doing this technique. It should flow seamlessly.

Also, feel free to Bend anywhere Vibrato is notated. Either is fine. However, try NOT to use tepid/shallow, "back and forth" wagging vibrato. Use forcefull, intentional, up and down vibrato. The better your vibrato, the better your pinch will sound. Let's take a look at the video. It contains the lick itself and wads of tips/close up shots of how to get the most out of this techique. It's the longest Quick Lick vid in quite a while but worth the watch. This is a basic Rock/Metal technique. It should be in one's bag of tricks smile.gif

*Make sure to watch the vid!. It Contains the "Secret Sauce"

*NOTE: Pay Special attention to letting your thumb graze by the string after the strike, this is what creates the harmonic squeal.

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS : Don't beat yourself up if you struggle with this. Most players struggle with this at some point. I did as well. I've yet to find someone who could pull this off without trying. But it is possible, with a bit of practice, to get it to where you can pull it off anytime you want and not miss it.

Attached Image

Attached File  36.gp5 ( 2.25K ) Number of downloads: 138

BTW:
Please let me know if you have any questions about this lick, send me a PM if you like or post here. I'm happy to help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 14 2018, 08:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Storm Linnebjerg
May 18 2019, 05:25 AM
Learning Rock Star

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2019, 10:00 AM
GMC:er
I used wound strings for these pinch squeals for the simple fact that pinches can be a bit tougher to grab on wound strings vs unwound. At least, many players find this to be the case. I have found that once I had the technique down, it really didn't matter which string. Zakk wylde often uses wound string pinches with heavy vibrato. It's his party piece and he uses it non stop. Missing pinch is often obvious to the listener so it's best to hit one when you go for one. The good news is you never missed any! Nice.
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 18 2019, 12:25 AM) *

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Todd Simpson   #36 Pinch / Squeal Harmonics   Jul 14 2018, 07:53 PM
- - Phil66   Take 1 ready for improvement advice Sarge. I'v...   Jul 14 2018, 09:31 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   First to fight! NICE I fear that your tone m...   Jul 14 2018, 10:01 PM
nnn
- - Phil66   Thanks Todd I'm using the Panama patch modifi...   Jul 14 2018, 10:28 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   See if the Cali Recto gives you a betters result. ...   Jul 15 2018, 01:26 AM
nnn
- - Phil66   Hello Todd, I tried the Cali Rectifier and it did...   Jul 15 2018, 09:22 PM
- - Phil66   Take 3, getting better I think. I didn't try v...   Jul 16 2018, 09:22 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Progress! You are getting a better handle on ...   Jul 17 2018, 04:21 AM
nnn
- - Phil66   Thanks for the advice Todd, I went through a stag...   Jul 17 2018, 07:30 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   I'm glad it's working it's way forward...   Jul 18 2018, 02:16 AM
nnn
- - Phil66   Hello Todd, Watched the Skolnick vid, really stru...   Jul 18 2018, 09:28 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Try striking a bit harder and letting the string b...   Jul 18 2018, 09:40 PM
nnn
- - Phil66   Dude I don't want you to use my last submissi...   Jul 18 2018, 10:25 PM
- - Phil66   Sorry Todd, I didn't get chance to get anothe...   Jul 19 2018, 09:18 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Good point! Enjoy your Holiday Some time away...   Jul 21 2018, 02:33 AM
nnn
- - Phil66   Hello Todd, I hope you got my PM. Here is a take...   Aug 5 2018, 09:16 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Welcome back!! This is my fave take of th...   Aug 6 2018, 07:35 PM
nnn
- - Phil66   Thanks Todd, I'll keep working on it. This is...   Aug 6 2018, 08:27 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Finding the sweet spot is key. Also, it's some...   Aug 9 2018, 07:39 PM
nnn
- - onetabmat   RE: #36 Pinch / Squeal Harmonics   Nov 22 2018, 08:41 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   Bingo!! The pinch harmonic is a core techi...   Nov 26 2018, 08:44 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Adam   The drill itself reminded me of that one song... ...   Nov 25 2020, 11:55 PM
- - Todd Simpson   This is well played Soldier and it's directly ...   Nov 27 2020, 05:35 AM
- - Adam   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2020, 06:35 ...   Nov 28 2020, 12:17 AM
- - Todd Simpson   Much better. Your doing a pinch on each one. Keep ...   Nov 28 2020, 09:06 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:39 PM