Is Something Fishy Going On Or What ?, Some philosophic thoughts
Staffy
Aug 7 2009, 06:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
With the recent dead of Michael Jackson I once again started to think about what makes all great artists die too early.
Oki, not EVERY one, but a great deal of the artists passed away too early. In the history of Jazz there are awful lots of examples, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and some years ago Michael Brecker. Then we have Elvis, John Lennon, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye and others. In the field of guitar players there are Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Bolin, SRV, Jeff Healey and many more.

What makes these people die? Is it destiny or is it because they reached the peak of what they can achieve in this world? Like someone above says: "Ok, You did what You could in the humans world, now its time to go"...
Of course some of them was drug addicts and died because of that, but on the other hand, a lot of drug addicts never seems to die.

By thinking on those things, I always realizes that life is short, no matter when You die. The really big question is what do we want to left after us, when we are gone ? All these artists will be remembered because of their music, but what about all of us others? Personally, I would like to be remembered as a good friend, honest man and a good father for my kids rather than for my skills in E-dorian (*lol*).

What do You guys think? Are we dealing with destiny, God, Ourselves or any ather kind of magic ???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
mattacuk
Aug 7 2009, 09:55 AM
Lets go fishing!
Well that is a very interesting question, I have pondered on "Club 27" myself for some time and come to my own conclusion(s).

The life of a famous musician / star must be incredibly stressful, further more you might feel you have to live up to the worlds expectations not just some of the time, but all of the time.

Sooner or later most of these stars very sadly turn to drugs and or alcohol for whatever reason, and this is of course where things start to go wrong. I think alot of these people are also very lonely and easily manipulated by those around them, Jimi Hendrix springs to mind as a great talent who was treated poorly by his managment.

They are required to keep up so much energy all the time, which is not natural for a human being. We need time for ourselves, time to heal naturally when things go wrong etc. Of course some people abuse their bodys and survive, but some people are naturally more "hardy".

For example I myself am a sensitive soul, and I need healthy living to be happy and stress free. That includes drinking only water and juice, good food (and sometimes the odd junk food wink.gif ) , and exercise. I have friends who abuse their bodys and seem to do better in life than I, so I think perhaps the same thing applies to celebritys.

I dont think there is any mystical reason behind it personally, just by being famous alone your opening up your world to alot unsavory characters, situations etc that you might not normaly face.

Well that is just my personal veiw on why we loose some wonderful talents so early smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 7 2009, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 7 2009, 10:55 AM) *
Well that is a very interesting question, I have pondered on "Club 27" myself for some time and come to my own conclusion(s).

The life of a famous musician / star must be incredibly stressful, further more you might feel you have to live up to the worlds expectations not just some of the time, but all of the time.

Sooner or later most of these stars very sadly turn to drugs and or alcohol for whatever reason, and this is of course where things start to go wrong. I think alot of these people are also very lonely and easily manipulated by those around them, Jimi Hendrix springs to mind as a great talent who was treated poorly by his managment.

They are required to keep up so much energy all the time, which is not natural for a human being. We need time for ourselves, time to heal naturally when things go wrong etc. Of course some people abuse their bodys and survive, but some people are naturally more "hardy".

For example I myself am a sensitive soul, and I need healthy living to be happy and stress free. That includes drinking only water and juice, good food (and sometimes the odd junk food wink.gif ) , and exercise. I have friends who abuse their bodys and seem to do better in life than I, so I think perhaps the same thing applies to celebritys.

I dont think there is any mystical reason behind it personally, just by being famous alone your opening up your world to alot unsavory characters, situations etc that you might not normaly face.

Well that is just my personal veiw on why we loose some wonderful talents so early smile.gif

This is almost exactually how i was thinking

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 7 2009, 11:05 AM
GMC:er
By saying that these peoples deaths were their 'Destinies' it is then assumed that everything they did was pre-ordained and therefore they would have died when they did no matter what choices they made.

By saying that it's the will of a 'God' to call them all to the Big Jam in the Sky is making a supposition that ALL our lives are governed by some kind of supreme being. Secondly, surely as Drug/Alcohol addicts they would be sinners and therefore only fit for the Devil anyway???
wink.gif

I, personally, would like to believe that life is much more random than that and that the choices we do make affect us, as well as those around us!!
I would like to be remembered for being a fun, funny wise man who gave out great advise on Internet Forums!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 7 2009, 12:21 PM
I dont neccesarily believe that because someone has a destiny means that all time is pre-determined. Is it not possible someone has a pre-determined destiny and it's more about how you get to that destiny than the destiny itself?

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 7 2009, 12:27 PM
Hmmm I don't know if theres something fishy going on...

I don't know, I mean, Stevie Ray WAS an addict, but got clean and what's his reward? Getting killed in a helicopter crash!

I don't know... could happen to anyone?How I want to be rememberd? As a good guy, and as an amazing guitarist, blues guitarist that is, a dream? Well, I'd know i'd made it if I ever get invited to Texas to play so.... I don't know. We'll see how it goes,

This post has been edited by Jesse: Aug 7 2009, 12:30 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2009, 12:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 7 2009, 07:40 AM) *
but what about all of us others? Personally, I would like to be remembered as a good friend, honest man and a good father for my kids rather than for my skills in E-dorian (*lol*).

That's something I've been thinking of too. What do one leave behind? For most of us, besides ones own kids already after one generation nobody will know who you were.
I'm just guessing the meaning of life isn't to leave a legacy behind but instead to be a good person now. Much like you say, being a good friend, husband and father is probably the best one can do. smile.gif

Being a big star not coping falling under the preassure and fail is only human.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2009, 10:43 AM
Instructor
I believe it is connected in a way that big stars do have a stressful life and it is often related to all kinds of drugs. Because of this chances are big that their lives will be ruined. Such a pitty sad.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2009, 10:50 AM
Instructor
But also there are many stars who died very old.
Problem is, you can hardly be a major star at age 80 or some,
that's how music business works (unfortunately).
So those stars get out of media focus a lot before they die,
no coverages, no massive talks about them etc.
However there IS something with dying young,
stress I guess. sad.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 8 2009, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 8 2009, 11:50 AM) *
But also there are many stars who died very old.
Problem is, you can hardly be a major star at age 80 or some,
that's how music business works (unfortunately).
So those stars get out of media focus a lot before they die,
no coverages, no massive talks about them etc.
However there IS something with dying young,
stress I guess. sad.gif

Fully agree.

It's amazing to see Les Paul still playing at 90+!!!

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 8 2009, 02:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think that all of these great musicians lived a the top of their abilities. They constantly had to perform small miracles and were expected to do great. In Holland we'd say they were constantly walking on their toes. The only way to keep performing that way is to live life without spending time to "useless" things like sleep and time to eat. That way they ate badly, and used drugs to keep awake and focused! I think it's this big expectancy that gives them the hard time, they have to perform 24/7!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 8 2009, 02:52 PM
Reading SRV's book, I learned alot about it.

To quote : "It was the time that, you walk down the street, get sick, throw up, get up again and say: I need a drink"

Or, : " Are you tired? Here, snort some of this"

So...

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 8 2009, 03:04 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I don't think there is really higher meaning, Michael Jackson wasn't young, he had already done tons of stuff. I think the better question is why do musicians seem to die when they appear to have so much more to say or do regardless of age or situation, But, such is the case of Club 27 ironically. What if Hendrix, Morrison, or Joplin lived to to do music till they were in their 50's or 60's, How would music be altered now? What if Dime wasn't shot, what if Schuldiner lived to make it through another successful surgery?

Unfortunately we can't know, I mourn the loss of every musician but I try to move on and just be happy I was blessed enough to have their music with me at all.

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 8 2009, 03:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great topic!
I agree with everyone saying it's because of stress, bad enviroment, etc. They lived tough lives.
If I had some puppeteer standing above me telling me to do what all those stars did without a break, I bet my health would drop as well.

There's a reason why almost everyone knows who Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin are; They were pushed to deliver 110% all the time. I can't say this for sure, but I guess that musicians that's not world famous live longer and happier lives because they do stuff in their own tempo.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:59 PM