3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
New Website In Construction, What do you think?
David Wallimann
May 3 2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ May 3 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Much better ! smile.gif

Dunno what you can do on bandzoogle but did you try bigger fonts ? It will really help reading with a dark background. You don't need to change the background color. If you like black just keep it.

I think the problem on the homepage is the right column with the news. There is too much bold. White on black is hard to read but even more if it's bold. Because it become too bright. What you can try is to use gray for the titles.

You can use italic instead of bold for text you want to highlight. But don't use underline as it is use for the links. smile.gif

Hope this help you to find a nice design. smile.gif

Great suggestion, unfortunately, the color of the buttons can't be changed, it's set within the templates.
I just tried something completely different just to see.
Do you mind checking that out and letting me know?

http://users.bandzoogle.com/Wallimann/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 4 2009, 07:38 AM
Learning Roadie
My suggestions smile.gif

I like the colors and the theme. The site looks great but I have a few suggestions smile.gif

I dunno how to explain this smile.gif You are using fixed width template which is good, but when you are using white both as background to the actual page (table) and as a background to the whole browser (body) it gets a bit "undefined" and gives a feel of not beeing entirelly finished. In my opinon of course.

I would either change the background of the body but keep the background of the table holding the actual page or add a "frame" of some sort to the left and right of the table.

Also, if possible, try to keep the "left/right" design of the template in the body too if you know what I mean. You have a clear left and right design in the header and in the footer. Personally I would keep that in mind while doing the rest of the pages so that you don't start the page with a text full width and then have those left side headers mixed in. First page has first a full width text then a header on left side with content on right side, then followed by a full width text again. Try to keep to one idea to make it more defined. For example you could add a header like the "recent news" header to your page presentation with a text like.. I dunno.. "Welcome", or "About this page" or something.

I would also hide the counter if possible.

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing smile.gif the font is a bit too much on the large side in my opinion /EDIT

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Koopid: May 4 2009, 07:41 AM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
May 4 2009, 09:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's just my opinion but I really prefer the black background. But still, you should use the one YOU prefer. smile.gif

The font on the current is just nice. Even though I don't really like the news table on the homepage which looks a bit too much like table. wink.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 4 2009, 02:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Koopid @ May 4 2009, 02:38 AM) *
My suggestions smile.gif

I like the colors and the theme. The site looks great but I have a few suggestions smile.gif

I dunno how to explain this smile.gif You are using fixed width template which is good, but when you are using white both as background to the actual page (table) and as a background to the whole browser (body) it gets a bit "undefined" and gives a feel of not beeing entirelly finished. In my opinon of course.

I would either change the background of the body but keep the background of the table holding the actual page or add a "frame" of some sort to the left and right of the table.

Also, if possible, try to keep the "left/right" design of the template in the body too if you know what I mean. You have a clear left and right design in the header and in the footer. Personally I would keep that in mind while doing the rest of the pages so that you don't start the page with a text full width and then have those left side headers mixed in. First page has first a full width text then a header on left side with content on right side, then followed by a full width text again. Try to keep to one idea to make it more defined. For example you could add a header like the "recent news" header to your page presentation with a text like.. I dunno.. "Welcome", or "About this page" or something.

I would also hide the counter if possible.

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing smile.gif the font is a bit too much on the large side in my opinion /EDIT

Thanks so much for all your input!

I reduced the size of letter and think I know what you mean for the "right/left" idea.
Basically you are saying that when mixing "right/left" layout with "wide body" on the same page it gets confusing, right?

For the color of the table, sadly that can't be changed.
I really don't have much control there... But I heard that a Major update is going to happen within the next month probably allowing us to do these changes.

I changed the "right left" layout a bit, do you mind checking it out to see if we're talking about the same thing?

Thanks so much for your time!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Koopid
May 5 2009, 06:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 4 2009, 03:56 PM) *
Thanks so much for all your input!

I reduced the size of letter and think I know what you mean for the "right/left" idea.
Basically you are saying that when mixing "right/left" layout with "wide body" on the same page it gets confusing, right?

For the color of the table, sadly that can't be changed.
I really don't have much control there... But I heard that a Major update is going to happen within the next month probably allowing us to do these changes.

I changed the "right left" layout a bit, do you mind checking it out to see if we're talking about the same thing?

Thanks so much for your time!

Yeah, we are talking about the same thing smile.gif Font change and left/right change really made it look better for me. The only thing that I would change now is to move the areas around smile.gif The recent news should be top left, the welcome top right (or the other way around, welcome and news should be on top). The events calendar should have its own header and stay where it is and the "join" header should be bottom left. The reason for moving them is to keep the focus where you want it, and focus is top of "content" area. (in your case right).

If possible I would also try to align the columns in the body to the columns in the header. Like, if you draw a line from top banner far left, far right and between the images all text in the body should align. I don't know if that is possible in that program you use though smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
steve25
May 5 2009, 08:54 AM
GMC:er
Good site however i preferred the old design. I think the table should perhaps come up slightly so it is level with the news. Also it may just be me but the news section is usually at the top of the page rather than underneath everything but perhaps that was done on purpose? As for the content that will be put in, i think it will be fine pretty much tells you what you need to know

+Quote Post
wrk
May 5 2009, 11:17 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nice so far !!

Do you have the possibility to align a few things in your template? If not, try to add some line-breaks in the "Welcome" and "News" section to avoid that the text is going into the content area on the right.

[attachment=15477:dw.jpg]

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 5 2009, 01:48 PM
Instructor
They are updating stuff today so I don't have access to the control panel.
But I agree with the place of the news, should be on top.
As for the alignment, yes. You are right!
Unfortunately I don't think I have any control on that in Bandzoogle... :-(

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2009, 02:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Looks nice, easy to browse. I'd give it some color though, black text over white background makes it tidy & easy to read, but seems a bit too aseptic. Matter of taste I guess, the site is fine!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 5 2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Site is now live, you can get access through
www.davidwallimann.com

I added a bunch of soundclips in the music section.
Still some work to do, but it's getting there!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 5 2009, 03:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 5 2009, 03:06 PM) *
Site is now live, you can get access through
www.davidwallimann.com

I added a bunch of soundclips in the music section.
Still some work to do, but it's getting there!

looks nice David. A couple of your menu pictures didn't open (Bio, Forum and Gear)

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 5 2009, 04:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hm... I like the dark colour as well. I think it's good to have a bit of an outline. for instance make your page a tad yelowish? I think it's not finished yet! To be honest, the calendar doesn't look very nice, and you need a cool banner!

I think you already made big progression, the only things I think could get better are above tongue.gif Being critical xD

EDIT: sorry, the black background wasn't great either I read, just try something a bit different then the white!

New Add... You have this cool player, could it be better if you just put demos in there instead of whole songs? Just to make people curious, then they can buy?

BTW..... Extremely cool music on the Deep inside the Mind CD!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2009, 04:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool David, just featured you at the Instructors Portal with your new site cool.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...GMC_Instructors

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 5 2009, 04:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ May 5 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Hm... I like the dark colour as well. I think it's good to have a bit of an outline. for instance make your page a tad yelowish? I think it's not finished yet! To be honest, the calendar doesn't look very nice, and you need a cool banner!

I think you already made big progression, the only things I think could get better are above tongue.gif Being critical xD

EDIT: sorry, the black background wasn't great either I read, just try something a bit different then the white!

New Add... You have this cool player, could it be better if you just put demos in there instead of whole songs? Just to make people curious, then they can buy?

BTW..... Extremely cool music on the Deep inside the Mind CD!!

Thanks for your input Kaznie!
Yeah, I need to fix these things.
Only thing is that I don't have a lot of control over the colors. But that might change soon, they are updating the way people can change their templates, so that should be feasable!
For the songs, you are right. I just put the whole Deep inside the Mind for a couple days as a bonus. :-)

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ May 5 2009, 10:51 AM) *
looks nice David. A couple of your menu pictures didn't open (Bio, Forum and Gear)

It's fixed now, thanks! :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Gilmore
May 5 2009, 04:32 PM
Congratulations with your website. I like the look, plain and simple. smile.gif

PS: It would be great to see you play your SG Special in one of your lessons. smile.gif

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
May 5 2009, 04:44 PM
Cool design indeed, i like the layout and stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 5 2009, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ May 5 2009, 11:11 AM) *
Cool David, just featured you at the Instructors Portal with your new site cool.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...GMC_Instructors

Thanks a lot Fran!

QUOTE (Gilmore @ May 5 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Congratulations with your website. I like the look, plain and simple. smile.gif

PS: It would be great to see you play your SG Special in one of your lessons. smile.gif

I did the ZZTop lesson with it, but the neck is a little big for me...
I'm trying to sell it as I'm moving in a few months...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 5 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
looks nice & awesome

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 6 2009, 09:22 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Looks cool David, and reminds me to finally work on my own page too rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
May 6 2009, 12:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I would connect the two pictures that are "logo" of the site. I mean the black photo and grey figure with Your name in white. The gap between these two objects doesn't look to good for me, connecting these two would be better for me. It can be connected both in simpler way, or blended together.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:23 PM