Relic Strat Method, ideas?
Mith
Sep 12 2014, 01:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Has anyone here ever reliced a strat before. I have this cheap black SX strat but it happens to have the best neck on it out of any fender style guitar I've ever touched but what it is missing is some character. I'm wanting to turn this thing into a blues powerhouse. So I plan on dropping some good pickups in it.

Now I was going to buy a new body as well because the plan black just has that cheap look to it I might try and relic it first and see if it grows on me since I was planning on replacing the body anyway there is no loss.

So anyone have any tips, done it before. Know of some really cool how to vids?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 12 2014, 03:44 PM
GMC:er
These should help Mith:-

I've done a few relic-ing jobs for clients before. To get an authentic Wormn and torn look accentuate the places that are most likely to get worn, around the edges, rear buckle rash, around the jack socket and where ever your strumming arm action will make contact. Add a few dents/knocks for good measure!!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2014, 04:38 PM
GMC:er
Or just attack with a belt sander smile.gif Be careful though, it's easy to go from "relic" to "junk".

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 12 2014, 10:44 AM) *
These should help Mith:-

I've done a few relic-ing jobs for clients before. To get an authentic Wormn and torn look accentuate the places that are most likely to get worn, around the edges, rear buckle rash, around the jack socket and where ever your strumming arm action will make contact. Add a few dents/knocks for good measure!!
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 12 2014, 04:53 PM
seen a few people take at them with a match as well lol. End of the day as long as the neck is fine I don't care about the rest.

It can be my Scarycaster

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 1 2014, 05:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Stew Mac has some great articles on faking a relic.

Some cool ideas to age the hardware and fake a maple fretboard with cracks in the lacquer.

I started a relic start but never finished it, one thing I did was light my zippo and put the flame close, but not touching, to certain areas of the pickguard - gave it a nice smokey appearance but it's not what everyone might be looking for.

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 03:00 AM
yeah I've dulled all the paint so far. I'm going to slowly do it. so next time I restring it I might take a bit of paint off

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Oct 3 2014, 01:06 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 2 2014, 02:00 AM) *
yeah I've dulled all the paint so far. I'm going to slowly do it. so next time I restring it I might take a bit of paint off

Are you planning on posting a picture of the progress or finished piece?

You can never see enough relic jobs, each one has it's own character and story behind it I feel. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 3 2014, 01:51 AM
When I actually take some paint off I'll let take some pics, at the moment it just looks like a satin finish

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:01 PM