A Question Of Honor
intemperateContr...
Apr 9 2010, 04:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a question here that might appeal more to the staff & instructors here at GMC
than its members, but all responses are welcome. Okay. I am a paying member here at
GMC for 9 months, and during that time I memorized dozens of lessons, but the level
of difficulty on some of those lessons have prevented me from perfecting them all
as of yet. And now my paid subscription has expired. So even though I am still a
member I can't learn any new lessons until I become a paying member again. I think
that sounds fair enough. My intention is not to become a paying member again until
I perfect the lessons that I have already learned. Why pay for my own practice time?
Why move on before my learning is complete? And so, I already paid to learn those
lessons. Anyway, now more recently I am still submiting some of my takes to the REC
for judgment & feedback on my progress. I fail about as many takes as I pass so far
but am still working on it. In light of this, and with all things considered, herein
lies the question. Is it fair? Is it okay that I am doing this? I think so, otherwise
I would not. Tell me what you think.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
MickeM
Apr 9 2010, 08:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
That was a very good and very honest question to raise. I tried to look up exactly what goes here but it can be interpreted both ways.

It says: "Members are allowed to post their entries here".
Forum access is free, but I can only see it's for members who are paying dittos. For a couple of reasons but mind that a REC submission will take up several instructors time. Instructors who Kris have to pay whom in turn members pay.

I can only see the REC program is for paying members only. But that's just my view on it, I have to admit I don't really know who it's for.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2010, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Todd here wink.gif I hope you come back as I"m a new instructor doing live video chat lessons and I'd love to have you in the group. It can really help to get live feedback as you progress. You may be picking some lessons that are more long term goals. Maybe pick some lessons that are going to be a bit quicker to perfect and that in itself will help you grow toward the harder ones. If at all possible, try to come back and change up the lessons you are trying to learn and join me for the live video chat each Sat at 4:00 PM E.S.T. I"m sure we can get over the hump together.

Todd

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 9 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm with Micke on this.
I, too, admire your honest raising of this issue, but I have to lean more towards the REC being open to paying members mainly due to the time etc that the Instructors have to put in to grade them.

There is the Uploads section where all members are able to post takes of all sorts for comments etc and some Instructors are very involved there too! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 9 2010, 09:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I think you are right to complain .. if you want to summite somthing to the rec program it sould not be necessary for you to be a payn member .. cause it is obvious that you payed to learn the lesson you want to submite..

But If you just want an oppinion you can upload it at the forum (aS Sensible Jones Said) and i bealive everybody will be more than happy to ive their comments

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Apr 9 2010, 10:08 PM

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Apr 9 2010, 11:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
I do understand and appreciate everyone's insight on this subject. As for the prospect of submitting takes, I am still able to submit
my takes to the REC without a paid member's log-in or password, whereas, it is not possible to submit entries to any collaborations
or to the MTP without having a paid membership. Now, that takes some real work for the instructors, not to mention the Mentored
Training Program (things I intend to participate with once I renew my paid subscription). Anyway, I think we all who love GMC take
time out of our days and nights to contribute all kinds of feedback here - students and instructors alike - for fun and for our interest.
I think this is a very relevant discussion and so far the feedback reflects that. Thanks, Guys. But, I remain uncertain as to whether
the majority of the community here accepts my take on the matter.

I see there is a contest going on here about how to improve GMC. Well, if submitting takes to the REC should require a paid
subscription, then I suggest the moderators contact the web programmers to implement a program that produces a block alert
that says "Subscription is Required for Submission" (with a redirect) or something like that, just like it does when you try and
submit a take to any collaboration without a paid subscription - I know because I tried after my paid subscription expired and
the programming prevented me from making my submission. Anyway, I know it's like a democracy here. More please...

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 10 2010, 12:04 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Once again, good question! smile.gif

I am with Jones and Micke on this one as well, I do think your suggestion of an alert (or redirect) is good one, and something we can talk to Kris about. I don't see why something like this can't be implemented with a bit of time and some effort. The REC thing will probably have to be for paying members only, like they said, for the instructors time put into it.

But also, Like Jones said, the uploads is a good alternative in the meantime.

+Quote Post
Darktime
Apr 10 2010, 12:05 AM
I was learning from this site before I started paying a sub and now I will never stop paying because it is the best guitar site on the web without question and I have been a member of most of the better known ones. The quality of the lessons/instructors is unequalled and they will have my support long after I give up playing and that means that you will have my support and everyone like you and me because one of the best things about this site is if you want to learn here you can if you try do so without paying, its a great place, the support is superb, the site is superb, the instructors are superb, we`re all superb! what could be more superb than that?

The oooooooooooooooooooonly thing I don`t like (theres always something biggrin.gif ) is that you are all a bit more superber than I am! lifes so unfair!!!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Apr 10 2010, 12:45 AM
Reason for edit: Language

+Quote Post
Fusar
Apr 10 2010, 12:35 AM
I can only agree what has been said before, MTP, REC and collabs are taking a lot of time for our instructors and should be paid smile.gif
In your case, you don't have to submit the videos directly, you could finish them as you want, record them, and only suscribe again when you have all the lessons down and then upload them in the REC?

I have to admit that I'm happy that I have the old subscription price, because I couldn't afford the new price! I know how much time the instructors are spending on this side, but it's a really heavy price to pay for students every month...

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Apr 10 2010, 12:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I think that the fee for everything on this site is more than fair. In fact, I am surprised that there is so much available to non-paying members! I think that some things should absolutely not be available to people who aren't paid members. Entries into GMC competitions for example. It isn't fair that non-paying members can enter, and win prizes away from paying members. Free gear giveaways should be limited to people who invest in this site!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 10 2010, 04:01 AM
As the guys already said, we won't be able to help you as we don't see you progress. I think the REC program is so important, so we can try to fix what you're doing wrong. And maybe you aren't progressing because maybe there's something wrong on your playing. It can be thousands of things. But, think about it. We we'll always here to help you as much as we can wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 11 2010, 06:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As with everybody. I think its very fair that you raised this question. IMO REC should be for subscribers only (as its with MTP and Collabs). Generally when you are member you are not just paying for access to lessons rather whole package with includes full lesson access (backing, guitar pro) and most importantly support in those lessons and in forums from instructors. Extras include REC, MTP, Collabs, Competitions, Chat and forum - so I don't think practice time counts much in this as you are getting support/teacher over a period of time (and longer in case of forum etc).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:25 AM